User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 2800BH Hardwired EMS

So the Imagine 2800BH comes with the mandatory pre-wire for a second air conditioner since a couple years now (I think). Mine has a single AC, but since it's prewired for a second one it comes with a 50 amp cord and connection. I didn't realize this until I picked up the trailer on the weekend (I was hoping for a 30 amp cord). I live in eastern Canada and I don't ever see myself adding a second AC. Should I be looking at installing a EMS-HW50C or can I go with a EMS-HW30C? Based on what I've seen, the factory wiring in the 2800BH is 6 gauge, will the EMS-HW30C only work with 10 gauge wire which means I'll need to use the EMS-HW50C?

Thanks,
    Ivor

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would install the 50A EMS.....and the reason is this. You have a 50A service coming into the trailer.....50 A cord, plug, wiring, and breaker panel. If you install a 30A EMS, that would be a bottle neck in the electrical service line for any future use. Also, the 30A unit will not have provisions for the 4 wire service that you have, there will only be provisions for landing 3 wires. So the answer to your question is no, you cannot install a 30A EMS in a trailer that is setup for 50A
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ivor

On our previous TT , 30 amp , it would sometimes trip the breaker at the pole when trying to use the a/c , hot water heater on electric , and the microwave. Having the 50 amp service is helpful for this problem that sometimes occurs. I would install the 50 amp version , in fact I have done this on our 29RS that does not have a second a/c.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Personally, I would install the 50A EMS.....and the reason is this. You have a 50A service coming into the trailer.....50 A cord, plug, wiring, and breaker panel. If you install a 30A EMS, that would be a bottle neck in the electrical service line for any future use. Also, the 30A unit will not have provisions for the 4 wire service that you have, there will only be provisions for landing 3 wires. So the answer to your question is no, you cannot install a 30A EMS in a trailer that is setup for 50A
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Ivor

On our previous TT , 30 amp , it would sometimes trip the breaker at the pole when trying to use the a/c , hot water heater on electric , and the microwave. Having the 50 amp service is helpful for this problem that sometimes occurs. I would install the 50 amp version , in fact I have done this on our 29RS that does not have a second a/c.

Brian
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I realized the issue with there only being two terminals on the 30 amp relay this morning, that won't work. A bit of a brain fart there. That's a good point about running multiple electrical appliances at the same time tripping the 30 amp breaker.

It seems like most campsites around here are 30 amp unless you request a 50amp, those are typically pull through sites for large 5th wheels and motor homes. I doubt I'll ever use the the 50 amp unless that's all a camp ground has available. I'm thinking about buying a 50' long 30 amp cord and and 50 amp twist lock to 30 amp adapter and leaving the 50 amp cord at home. I'll have to decide on a surge protector or EMS and then figure out if I want to spring for the 50 amp hardwired.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Like Xrated said you have a 50 amp system, like it or not, putting a 30 amp EMS in does not change that fact. The 50 amp is more versatile, you can always use an adapter to use 30amp service if that is all that is available.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step