User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Level still powered with battery switch off

I just sold my 2016 303RLS. After a lifetime of RVing, I'm fed up with the entire industry and we're taking a break for a while. Tired of poorly built rigs (of all types) with 1950s braking systems, packed campgrounds, high prices, poor service and unreliable components. Time to try the VRBO route for a while. Nuff said...

As I was explaining to the new owner about the parasitic drain on the battery, even with the battery switch off (another dumb design that is driving me away) the new owner got curious and said lets check this out. As I was explaining the Auto Level system to him with it powered on, he decided to walk around to the other side of the rig and turn off the battery switch. Sure enough the Auto Level power REMAINED ON. So another drain item pulling on the battery while supposedly disconnected.

I was aware of 'other' things bypassing the battery turn-off switch (like the gas detector) but did not know the Auto Level was also. It's possible that the 2016 models were the first to have the Auto Level tossed in and GD just grabbed a close hot power source without thinking about it. It's possible in later years they got smarter and found a power point that is through the turn-off switch.

FYI... and … Good luck.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, you seemed to have made a good decision about getting out of camping if those things are bothering you that much. I'm sure you'll be happier and most likely so will the folks that might have happened to camp next to you. I've always said that when a hobby becomes more work than it is fun, it's time to change hobbies...or at least stop doing the one that's causing you anguish.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And those SAFETY things are mandated to be left on. Nothing like leaving forgetting to turn the battery switch on, or bumping the switch while unloading stuff and then develop a propane leak.

As for the leveling system, it's probably done out of ease. If you have your pass through storage packed and you need bring up the legs, the switch may be blocked. Or when you're setting up camp, you don't have to unload stuff to get the battery on.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    WOW, you seemed to have made a good decision about getting out of camping if those things are bothering you that much. I'm sure you'll be happier and most likely so will the folks that might have happened to camp next to you. I've always said that when a hobby becomes more work than it is fun, it's time to change hobbies...or at least stop doing the one that's causing you anguish.
    My neighbors usually liked having me next to them because I would end up fixing their broken RV or lend them my tools.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al buquerque View Post
    My neighbors usually liked having me next to them because I would end up fixing their broken RV or lend them my tools.
    I understand that, but you seem to be very burnt out now and somewhat angry.....that's why I think your decision is a good one.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say, when I first saw the switch, I thought it was a great thing, until I learned that it does not totally cut off the power. I leave my unit in an outdoor storage lot with no power available; only takes a couple of weeks before draining the battery to the point that I can raise the landing gear.

After sitting and waiting for the truck to give me enough power to raise the gear that one time, I installed a switch at the battery that shuts off everything. Now I never touch the factory switch, and turn the switch I installed off each time I store the unit. I haven't had the problem repeat since.

I don't worry about forgetting to turn it back on for the next trip; I can't raise the landing gear otherwise. So I know that my battery is charging and my emergency breakaway switch will have power.

I am only a 5 on the 1 to 10 handy scale; I admire many of the projects done here, but can't tackle many. This was an EASY (for me even!) and inexpensive fix.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the switch was cool at first also , then I found as you did it did not turn much off. I have rewired mine so it shuts everything off except one light and the hot wire for the emergency brakes.
    Much better now , for me at least. @al burquerque sorry for you decision to abandon the RV fun times but totally agree with your reasoning.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GDRV has never wired the landing gear power through the OE battery switch. Even before auto levelling, it was wired this way. Their logic seems to be that they want to be able to hitch and move the 5th wheel, even if the battery switch is off. The non-auto system would not be a continuous drain on the battery, but the auto levelling memory would be.

Something that you might want to consider, if you are wiring in a new "complete shutoff" battery switch is to move the 12V charging feed from the truck connection umbilical, from the "trailer side" of the switch to the "battery side" of the switch. This means that someone cannot power up your landing gear and stabilizers by plugging your trailer into their truck . . . if the new switch is off. This adds an extra layer of security against theft.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS