User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does any GD model have Auto retracting awnings?

I've been reading a lot of old posts about < 15 mph winds buckling the arms. I once had a 2006 motorhome that had awnings that automatically retracted when the wind got up too high. Does GD not have anything like this?

Loyd
    Last edited by gobama84; 05-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They currently do not offer any awnings like this on any of their lines. I haven't heard any chatter about offering this.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You can look at the manufacturer, Carefree of Colorado in my case, and see if they have something that you can add. For my Solitude, they offer a bluetooth remote that you can add to the head, and install the receiver/switch in your cabinet. if it detects movement, then it will retract the awning.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    You can look at the manufacturer, Carefree of Colorado in my case, and see if they have something that you can add. For my Solitude, they offer a bluetooth remote that you can add to the head, and install the receiver/switch in your cabinet. if it detects movement, then it will retract the awning.
    Chris
    @chris,

Thank you! I have had a few folks talk about this, and I should have looked into this more. I appreciate the creativity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had camper with this feature, didn't work very good. Best advice is to bring in awning during any wind event.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleazenby View Post
    They currently do not offer any awnings like this on any of their lines. I haven't heard any chatter about offering this.
    The main awning on our Solitude does not have it. But I am almost positive the awning on the dining/living slide does. They are different awnings.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our middle self supporting awning on the slide out will come in when it's windy on its own. The two others will not.

Our Dutch star had a single, large awning that had a wind sensor.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    The main awning on our Solitude does not have it. But I am almost positive the awning on the dining/living slide does. They are different awnings.
    It is a different awning on our Solitude 310GK too - the awning on the dining/living slide works more like the Girard awnings found on rich folks' Class A motor coaches, which sometimes do have auto-retract features. (Ours is not nearly as robust as the Girards though.)

However I'm surprised at your suggestion that that awning will auto-retract. We've had it open when worrisome gusts blew up and it didn't retract on its own. Maybe we've just been too nervous and moved too quickly to retract it manually before it could do its automatic thing. Do you have a manual or something that tells you it has auto-retract features?

Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see if I can locate the manual. I normally don't wait for the auto retract as once the big awning gets squirrelly I bring them both in. I seem to remember that what it took to get it to retract seemed excessive. Or maybe I'm just miss-remembering but I don't think so.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Best advice is to bring in awning during any wind event.
    Agree with retracting the awning if it gets windy; I am in the habit of retracting if I leave the campground; regardless of weather.

A somewhat related question; my past RV awnings had the ability to easily "pull down" a corner to facilitate rain run-off. Any way, short of reseting the length of the adjustable arm (which is a pain to do), to achieve this with the awnings we have?
    Last edited by Keebler; 05-15-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast