Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer GVWR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer GVWR

I've tried a few different travel trailers before I decide to purchase one for my family.
    I tried Imagine 2400BH which was nice, I had no issue towing it. However, I felt its 29ft length was a bit too much for me.
    So, I decided to go with Imagine XLS 21BHE which is 25ft long. It's still long, but much more manageable than 29ft trailer.

By the way, I was looking at 21BHE spec sheet and there is one thing I couldn't understand.
    So, I hope I can get some helps from you guys.

Imagine 21BHE
    UVW 4497lbs
    GVWR 5895lbs
    Fresh tank 43gal
    Grey tank 39gal
    Black tank 37gal
    2x Batteries 126lbs
    2x Gas tanks 70lbs
    Propride WD hitch 200lbs

GVWR 5895 - UVW 4497 = 1398lbs (carrying capacity)
    1398lbs - fresh/grey/black tanks 992lbs - batteries/gas tanks/wd hitch 396lbs = 10lbs

Does this mean I have only 10lbs carrying capacity left for my personal items?
    I'm just worried that I'd overload stuffs which is not legally allowed.

Your helps will be appreciated in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got it right except calculating your water weight (fresh, grey, black). You would only count the water in the fresh water tank since that's where the water (and other matter) would come from to fill your grey and black tanks. You're technically just moving water from the fresh to grey/black by doing dishes, showering, flushing toilet etc. IMHO, it's rare to fill the fresh water tank completely unless you'll be boon-docking for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by pjmjunior; 05-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    You got it right as far as calculating your water weight (fresh, grey, black). You would only count the water in the fresh water tank since that's where the water (and other matter) would come from to fill your grey and black tanks. You're technically just moving water from the fresh to grey/black by doing dishes, showering, flushing toilet etc. IMHO, it's rare to fill the fresh water tank completely unless you'll be boon-docking for an extended period of time.
    Thanks for the explanations.
    So, I will likely have about 50 Gals (400 Lbs) for my personal items.
    That's not too bad, but it feels like I'm pushing to the limit..
    I don't know how GD calculated the GVWR (maybe they just wanted it to look very light weight??), but I hope they could just increase the number (I guess it should be more capable than 5900lbs with two axles)

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilee View Post

GVWR 5895 - UVW 4497 = 1398lbs (carrying capacity)
    1398lbs - fresh/grey/black tanks 992lbs - batteries/gas tanks/wd hitch 396lbs = 10lbs

Does this mean I have only 10lbs carrying capacity left for my personal items?
    I'm just worried that I'd overload stuffs which is not legally allowed.

Your helps will be appreciated in advance!
    The gray/black/fresh load of 992 lbs only matters if you fill those tanks. Put 5 gal in the black and 2.5 gal in the gray and fresh. That brings the 992 down to 80 lbs, and your available weight capacity up to almost 1000 lbs.

Congrats on your purchase, and kudos for thinking about weights before you signed the contract.

Dave

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post
    The gray/black/fresh load of 992 lbs only matters if you fill those tanks. Put 5 gal in the black and 2.5 gal in the gray and fresh. That brings the 992 down to 80 lbs, and your available weight capacity up to almost 1000 lbs.

Congrats on your purchase, and kudos for thinking about weights before you signed the contract.

Dave

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your insight.
    I went a camping trip with 2400BH last weekend and I forgot to turn the water valve to city water, ended up with full fresh water tank. All black tank and grey tanks were three quarters full. I was worried about that kind of situation although it can be rare chance. I even had to tell my family not to use the bathroom and kitchen..because I didn’t want to run to the dump station..it is such a hassle.. I hope the trailer won’t fall apart in such cases.
    Last edited by tomilee; 05-14-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a comment

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilee View Post
    Thanks for the explanations.
    So, I will likely have about 50 Gals (400 Lbs) for my personal items.
    That's not too bad, but it feels like I'm pushing to the limit..
    I don't know how GD calculated the GVWR (maybe they just wanted it to look very light weight??), but I hope they could just increase the number (I guess it should be more capable than 5900lbs with two axles)
    I would not assume GDRV just wanted the trailer to look light weight. Their choice of axles, tires, and suspension would be based on the GVWR of 5895 lbs. and should never be exceeded. If you have enough truck you could always haul more in the truck and less in the trailer to supplement. Also as stated, you only need to count the fresh water (If you choose a full tank when traveling) since this is transferred to the other tanks.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got it right except calculating your water weight (fresh, grey, black). You would only count the water in the fresh water tank since that's where the water (and other matter) would come from to fill your grey and black tanks. You're technically just moving water from the fresh to grey/black by doing dishes, showering, flushing toilet etc. IMHO, it's rare to fill the fresh water tank completely unless you'll be boon-docking for an extended period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I would not assume GDRV just wanted the trailer to look light weight. Their choice of axles, tires, and suspension would be based on the GVWR of 5895 lbs. and should never be exceeded. If you have enough truck you could always haul more in the truck and less in the trailer to supplement. Also as stated, you only need to count the fresh water (If you choose a full tank when traveling) since this is transferred to the other tanks.
    Yes, you may be right. I tried to look for more detailed information such as tires, axles, and suspension, but I couldn't find any details unfortunately.
    I assumed the 2400BH (GVWR 7495) and 21BHE (GVWR 5895) would share the same tires, axles, and suspension. However, chassis and other components also have something to do with GVWR. So, it was difficult for me to tell what would make the difference.
    I actually submitted an inquiry to GDRV so hopefully, I will hear official answers from them soon.

Thanks for the tip, I actually forgot that I could carry more in my TV haha.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, here is a reason why I assumed 2400BH and 21BHE would share some of the same specs.
    Looking at other RV manufacturers, they put in the same GVWR for multiple models when they share the same parts.
    For instance, Winnebago Mini has the same GVWR for the models from 22 ft to 26 ft. Only carrying capacity changes depending on their UVW.
    https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...nie/floorplans

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One item I missed was the pro-ride hitch which will count towards the weight of the tow vehicle and not the weight of the trailer. I just gave you another 200lbs back!
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One item I missed was the pro-ride hitch which will count towards the weight of the tow vehicle and not the weight of the trailer. I just gave you another 200lbs back!
    Actually, that's what I was very curious about.
    It's because some say the 80~90% of hitch weight should go to the TV, not TT.
    That said, weights of gas tank, batteries, and WD would also go to TV? That would give me about 300lbs back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast