Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Kim,

Since they confirmed needing to re-bend the axles, I believe your having it re-aligned will correct the issue. There will be some motion between axles but this is not the root cause of your tire issue. It was the bent axle. Since we also know the dynamics of these systems in hard braking, the front axle will rise and lock up while the rear wheel bares the brunt of the load and braking. I might add in that whoever trailered it did not do you any favors.
    So sorry your having these issues since you already have too much on your plate.
    Jim
    Hey Jim! At least I'm feeling good enough between treatments to haul it around and putz with it in the driveway.

Last year when the spring hangers were relocated I also had new Dexter 6k axles installed to replace the out of spec Lippert 5.2k. New springs with 2600s on the light side, 3000s on the heavy side. Trailer sits perfectly level, axles have perfect spacing. I noticed that the left rear tire was wearing a little quicker before I sent it off to Indiana but still looking good after our season ended. The 4k mile round trip destroyed those 2 tires. I guess that new axle was bent from new. The shop that did the suspension work did not have an alignment rack but all measurements were good. I would have had it aligned but couldn't find a shop that could do it anywhere near me. It took me hours of Google-fu to find a shop that was 50 miles away and actually specializes in RV and trailer alignment. Fingers crossed this cures the problem.

My question in this thread is a bit rhetorical. I know darn good and well that I should be replacing tires when they age out, not at 4,5 or 6k miles. I'm sure the guy that hauled it drove 85 mph and had the brake controller set too high. That right front has a bald flat spot the size of a dinner plate!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Kim,

Echoing what Mike describes in his post . . .

Our 303RLS rides with 4500 lbs on the left side and 3500 lbs on the right side. I also have stronger springs on the left side to level out the trailer. We put three years and about 15,000 miles on the original Westlakes. The first couple of years was with the original springs, so tilted to the left. Even with the new left side springs there is still a 1/2" difference in tire spacing from one side to the other. I can't explain this, but it is not affecting tire wear.

All four tires wore evenly, but I did rotate them twice in an X pattern as recommended by Lionshead. When I replaced them at three years old, they looked perfect (see picture). My tire guy said "do you mind me asking why you are doing this ?? ". I have been running the replacement Maxxis tires for two years and about 10,000 miles . . . they are still unequally spaced from one side than the other and they are all wearing evenly.

To Al's point . . . trailer tires should be replaced based on age (be that 3 yrs or 5 years depending on who you listen to) not wear/mileage.

Wearing out tires as fast as you describe is not right, even with side-to-side weight difference. There is something else going on here . . .

Rob
    I also had heavier 3000 lb springs installed on the heavy side of the trailer. Cured the list to port.

BTW, GDRV is picking up the tab for the alignment and new tires. The factory also did a poor job of sealing the windows and body with gaps in coverage in many spots. Since it's silicone, can't go back and layer over so much of it needs removal and replacement. GDRV is taking care of this also.
    I've been a heavy user of GDRV customer service!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chief

It seems like you have more issues now then before you sent it back. It is sad that you have to fix these problems after receiving it back from getting the walls replaced. Surely they could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right.
    The tire wear is puzzling to me but I am sure you will get it sorted out. Glad you are up and at it doing what you can.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Chief

It seems like you have more issues now then before you sent it back. It is sad that you have to fix these problems after receiving it back from getting the walls replaced. Surely they could have taken a few extra minutes to do the job right.
    The tire wear is puzzling to me but I am sure you will get it sorted out. Glad you are up and at it doing what you can.

Brian
    Hey there Brian. Today I removed all the tires and wheels, Got the 315 on jack stands, those 20 ton jacks came in handy. I must admit, tossing these up into my truck looked like a daunting task but I can still toss a tire or 5. I'm a pretty tough ol' geezer

Yessir, having lots of fun. The Schwintek slide was installed too tight to the bottom seal so it makes a bump and lurch when the seal flips. May have to hyperextend the slide to correct. Gee whiz, they had to remove the slide to replace the wall you'd think they could get it right. None of the supports for the skirt were attached, either. Others on the forum have said that their trailers were better than new when they got their wall replaced at the factory. I'm not in that camp.
    So far GDRV has pledged to make this trailer right and has promised to pick up the tab for all.

There's a thread here titled "when it rains, it pours". Indeed...……………………..Carry on!
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 05-17-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    There's a thread here titled "when it rains, it pours". Indeed...……………………..Carry on!
    Hi Kim,

Well . . . this sucks. We need a “don’t like this post” button!
    I am expecting that GDRV will eventually get this right . . . but, they should have gotten it right in the first go round.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang it Kim,
    That's a real disappointment! I wish I lived closer I would give you a hand. You would've thought after all the trouble and expense to haul it back to the factory they would have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. Sheesh
    Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction,

All the best,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Kim,

Well . . . this sucks. We need a “don’t like this post” button!
    I am expecting that GDRV will eventually get this right . . . but, they should have gotten it right in the first go round.

Rob
    I'm in pretty good hands over at GDRV as far as fixing it. The walls look great! Just wish somebody could do some QC. Actually, I've rather enjoyed towing my trailer around.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Dang it Kim,
    That's a real disappointment! I wish I lived closer I would give you a hand. You would've thought after all the trouble and expense to haul it back to the factory they would have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. Sheesh
    Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction,

All the best,
    Kevin
    I will probably take 1 trip this year in late September, missed all the others. As long as she's ready to go for that trip, I'm good.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Hey Jim! At least I'm feeling good enough between treatments to haul it around and putz with it in the driveway.

Last year when the spring hangers were relocated I also had new Dexter 6k axles installed to replace the out of spec Lippert 5.2k. New springs with 2600s on the light side, 3000s on the heavy side. Trailer sits perfectly level, axles have perfect spacing. I noticed that the left rear tire was wearing a little quicker before I sent it off to Indiana but still looking good after our season ended. The 4k mile round trip destroyed those 2 tires. I guess that new axle was bent from new. The shop that did the suspension work did not have an alignment rack but all measurements were good. I would have had it aligned but couldn't find a shop that could do it anywhere near me. It took me hours of Google-fu to find a shop that was 50 miles away and actually specializes in RV and trailer alignment. Fingers crossed this cures the problem.

My question in this thread is a bit rhetorical. I know darn good and well that I should be replacing tires when they age out, not at 4,5 or 6k miles. I'm sure the guy that hauled it drove 85 mph and had the brake controller set too high. That right front has a bald flat spot the size of a dinner plate!
    Kim,
    Glad your feeling better and that the bent axle was the culprit. Keep getting well as I would like to have a beer (or more) with you as some time. I just returned from our first trip this year which was very enjoyable. Now back to work in the morning.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Kim,
    Glad your feeling better and that the bent axle was the culprit. Keep getting well as I would like to have a beer (or more) with you as some time. I just returned from our first trip this year which was very enjoyable. Now back to work in the morning.
    Jim
    Jim, I'm looking forward to that day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast