Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell Me About Tire Wear

Hello ladies and gentlemen.
    I would like to hear how often you change tires due to wear. How many miles approximately you have been getting from your tires. I'm especially interested in those of you that have a 315/313RLTS and those of you that have a large difference in weight from one side to the other. My 315RLTS is about 600lbs heavier on the street side than curb. 5th wheels, toy haulers, TT's. Maybe brand and size of tire, but this is a little generic and I'll tell you why.

When my trailer was hauled back to the factory for wall replacement it had 5 Goodyear Endurance tires that were ~ 8 months old, had ~ 1500 miles on them. Round trip to GDRV is ~ 4000 miles. So, 5-6 thousand miles on these tires when it returned from the factory. The street side rear tire was worn out with uneven wear to the inside of the tread. The front on that side had the biggest flat spot I've ever seen. Both are being replaced and the axles were aligned on an alignment rack designed for the purpose of aligning trailers. The rear axle was toed out and brought back to spec by hydraulic bending. Grand Design is picking up the tab with no problem.

BUT...……..my contact at GDRV told me to keep an open mind when the alignment shop provides readings to you. Tandem axles are never in alignment as long as there are slides. The weight bias that will skew alignment readings. The heavier side will push the axle hubs closer together.

This trailer has about 8 thousand miles on it and has chewed 2 sets off the street side. After the first set it was found the spring hangers were offset from one another and axle camber was off. New Dexter 6k axles, springs, bushings, spring hangers in the right spot and new Goodyears. That was 1 year ago.
    Should I really expect to get 5k miles out of tires due to this weight bias? I would agree the heavier side might wear faster but not that fast. I will tell you that today, this trailer sits perfectly level side to side measured between axles. The axle hubs are exactly 35-5/16 apart on either side. State of level of the pad it's sitting on confirmed with laser.
    If I started a trip to visit family on the East coast with new tires, I would need to stop for more tires before I got home. Doesn't sound right to me. AAMOF, I know it isn't right. Smells like the undigestible leavings from a large male bovine creature.

I just read this. Geeez I'm long winded!
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 05-15-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: This just makes the post a little longer ;)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My $0.02... I am not a tire expert.

What I have heard from many sources is that MOST RVs will not drive enough per year to wear them to needing replacement. Most RV tires "age out," with the guidance I've heard to replace them every three years.

We have about 18,000 miles since August, and are not noticing any significant wear.

-Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In re-reading your post, something doesn't make sense. Yes, one side is heavier than the other, and the springs will load differently. I don't think that matters. The alignment needs to be right (which it doesn't sound like yours is) AS LOADED.
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m with Al on this we’ve had a couple sets on our 303 since 2014 and 30,000 miles. I took the Westlakes off about this time last year to put Goodyear on and neither have shown much wear. I did change out springs and put bigger ones on the driver side a couple years ago because of the weight difference. And put new wet bolts and disc brakes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something seems fishy here. I have 6600 miles on mine in 8 months not including the trailer coming from Indiana to Ontario. None of my tires seem to be wearing differently. from the weight sheet my 297 RSTS is 552 lbs heavier on the curb side. My Westlake tires still look nearly new.

Also looked at the statement that the heavier side will push the hubs closer together also doesn't make sense. With more weight on the springs they will flatten slightly more resulting in the springs being a bit longer so I would think it would push the hubs further away not closer.

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 05-15-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/h...ler-tire-wear/

Not sure this will help but it an interesting read.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim,

Since they confirmed needing to re-bend the axles, I believe your having it re-aligned will correct the issue. There will be some motion between axles but this is not the root cause of your tire issue. It was the bent axle. Since we also know the dynamics of these systems in hard braking, the front axle will rise and lock up while the rear wheel bares the brunt of the load and braking. I might add in that whoever trailered it did not do you any favors.
    So sorry your having these issues since you already have too much on your plate.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Something seems fishy here. I have 6600 miles on mine in 8 months not including the trailer coming from Indiana to Ontario. None of my tires seem to be wearing differently. from the weight sheet my 297 RSTS is 552 lbs heavier on the curb side. My Westlake tires still look nearly new.

Also looked at the statement that the heavier side will push the hubs closer together also doesn't make sense. With more weight on the springs they will flatten slightly more resulting in the springs being a bit longer so I would think it would push the hubs further away not closer.

Rob
    Since the anchor points are on opposite ends, as the springs become longer the axles will move slightly closer but this is not the reason for the tire wear as when the springs rebound they also move further away. In this primitive system, this will not cause such extreme wear in so few miles. I believe the bent axle is the primary issue.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    I’m with Al on this we’ve had a couple sets on our 303 since 2014 and 30,000 miles. I took the Westlakes off about this time last year to put Goodyear on and neither have shown much wear. I did change out springs and put bigger ones on the driver side a couple years ago because of the weight difference. And put new wet bolts and disc brakes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Kim,

Echoing what Mike describes in his post . . .

Our 303RLS rides with 4500 lbs on the left side and 3500 lbs on the right side. I also have stronger springs on the left side to level out the trailer. We put three years and about 15,000 miles on the original Westlakes. The first couple of years was with the original springs, so tilted to the left. Even with the new left side springs there is still a 1/2" difference in tire spacing from one side to the other. I can't explain this, but it is not affecting tire wear.

All four tires wore evenly, but I did rotate them twice in an X pattern as recommended by Lionshead. When I replaced them at three years old, they looked perfect (see picture). My tire guy said "do you mind me asking why you are doing this ?? ". I have been running the replacement Maxxis tires for two years and about 10,000 miles . . . they are still unequally spaced from one side than the other and they are all wearing evenly.

To Al's point . . . trailer tires should be replaced based on age (be that 3 yrs or 5 years depending on who you listen to) not wear/mileage.

Wearing out tires as fast as you describe is not right, even with side-to-side weight difference. There is something else going on here . . .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1237.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Since the anchor points are on opposite ends, as the springs become longer the axles will move slightly closer but this is not the reason for the tire wear as when the springs rebound they also move further away. In this primitive system, this will not cause such extreme wear in so few miles. I believe the bent axle is the primary issue.
    Thanks for the correction. I wasn't thinking it through completely with the anchor points.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast