User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all.
    I appreciate the advice you are giving me! It sounds that "for a better towing experience" the diesel is definitely helpful. We are maybe in a bit of an unusual situation in that the truck would be sitting around doing the odd errand for a lot of the time, but then called on to do a lot of long distance towing compressed into 2-3 months (this could increase with the comfort of our new trailer). Interesting what you are saying about the F-350. I will consider that. Is there a particular rear end ratio that I should be looking at (with the diesel)? Sorry if this a separate question that should be on a different thread. Yesterday was my first time on this forum so I don't really know the rules and good manners yet.

Again, thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good rule to follow is it is ok to ask questions. If the question you are asking on a particular thread will drive the current thread off on a different subject it is probably worth starting a new thread. On a side note, rear axle ratios have been discussed heavily, the search function will be very helpful in this case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you FT4NOW.
    Good idea, I will do that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    Thank you all.
    I appreciate the advice you are giving me! It sounds that "for a better towing experience" the diesel is definitely helpful. We are maybe in a bit of an unusual situation in that the truck would be sitting around doing the odd errand for a lot of the time, but then called on to do a lot of long distance towing compressed into 2-3 months (this could increase with the comfort of our new trailer). Interesting what you are saying about the F-350. I will consider that. Is there a particular rear end ratio that I should be looking at (with the diesel)? Sorry if this a separate question that should be on a different thread. Yesterday was my first time on this forum so I don't really know the rules and good manners yet.

Again, thank you for your help!
    With a diesel srw you have 2 choices, 3.31 or 3.55. Either is fine. Usually you find the 3.31 with the 18 inch wheels and the 3.55 with the 20 inch wheels. Both have a max tow rating somewhere around 18-20k. As for part time duty that's what my truck is. A garage queen, tow pig, or odd job machine. I have a Focus for my commuter and daily driver. Some days I drive my truck just cuz I want to.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW 2020 Super Duty is supposed to get an all new 7.3 liter gasser. No specs yet but this could be a game changer. Would be a perfect compromise for your situation. And both gas and diesel will have a new 10 speed transmission. The diesel will include a HP/torque jump to keep pace with Ram, not that it's needed. All these diesels are towing monsters.

2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larry377mbs.
    Thank you for your input. Yes, I have heard about the 7.3 gasser and how it will fill the gap between the 6.2 and the 6.7, a gas engine with closer to diesel operating characteristics (tending to have a lower RPM powerband, etc.). I would give it serious consideration.....after it has been out for a couple of years. I don't want to be a test pilot. And in doing so I may be ignoring a great engine and great transmission. I do look forward to hearing how it works.
    In my circumstances, I am basically retired and tend to be a homebody, so quite often my RAV4 can go 5 days or more at a time without being driven. And we live outside of the Greater Toronto Area, meaning that I do very little city driving these days, so that doesn't come into the picture while driving a large truck.
    Thanks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I pretty much stopped participating in threads regarding tow vehicles but your post was different than most so I'm jumping in on this one!

First, IMO, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to tow vehicles. You can't have too much HP or torque or comfort or safety, etc. The Imagine 2250RK is a pretty light trailer (relatively speaking) and you could easily tow it with a modern 1/2 ton gas truck but an F-250 diesel isn't going to rip the tongue off the trailer and go too fast climbing hills or too slow descending them.

Would it be a better experience? Absolutely! There is a huge difference between towing a trailer up a hill at 50mph with the engine screaming while you're constantly scanning the temp gauges waiting for something to blow up while dodging the semi trucks in the truck lane. Then worrying about your brakes overheating going down the hill you just climbed vs. setting the cruise at 65mph and climbing and descending any hill anywhere while your engine hums along at 1,500rpm and rarely even downshifts with temps barely budging. Stress and blood pressure drop significantly. Unless you've towed with both types of tow vehicles, you can't imagine the difference in the towing experience. I've towed with some marginal tow vehicles in my lifetime and I now have an F-350 DRW diesel so I know the difference.

Lastly - you mention using the truck for towing 1/2 to 3/4's of the time. This type of usage is where the pendulum swings away from a light duty gas truck and towards an HD diesel.

Do you need an HD diesel truck to tow a 7,000lb trailer? Absolutely not. But, you asked if a diesel would be a better experience and it would. You also said you'd be using the truck mainly for towing. Another point for the diesel. Finally, you didn't mention upgrading to a larger RV down the road but if you're like many other people here (myself included), you will have the truck to handle it if you do upgrade to a larger and heavier RV.

My last thought... skip the F-250 and get an F-350. Way more payload and the same unloaded ride experience for basically the same price.

Good luck with your decision! With your Imagine 2250RK, you can't really make a wrong decision.

Now I'll sit back and read all the posts that say I'm crazy. I'm used to it now so no big deal...
    We are members of the 3 vehicle and 2 TT club. Did t see us upgrading TT To a 315TLTS. Our F250 gasser would do it. But dw and I talked this very scenario you describe. We pick up our 2019 F350 diesel...already prepped for fifth wheel. We dont see needing it at this time....but just in case. New 315 scheduled for build 5/29. Reading from all the great help right here helped us decide.
    Thank You
    Drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    Hi Larry377mbs.
    Thank you for your input. Yes, I have heard about the 7.3 gasser and how it will fill the gap between the 6.2 and the 6.7, a gas engine with closer to diesel operating characteristics (tending to have a lower RPM powerband, etc.). I would give it serious consideration.....after it has been out for a couple of years. I don't want to be a test pilot. And in doing so I may be ignoring a great engine and great transmission. I do look forward to hearing how it works.
    In my circumstances, I am basically retired and tend to be a homebody, so quite often my RAV4 can go 5 days or more at a time without being driven. And we live outside of the Greater Toronto Area, meaning that I do very little city driving these days, so that doesn't come into the picture while driving a large truck.
    Thanks!
    Agree on the waiting a couple years. In that case I would shop for a 2019 f350 diesel in your choice of color and trim, buy something off the lot. I wouldn't worry too much about axle ratio as the difference is minimal. I love spending other people's money lol!

2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The diesel will be the better option for mountains, especially with the exhaust brake. Whichever you choose, you might want to consider a F350. It will ride the same as the 250, but has an extra helper spring which doesnt affect unloaded driving. This gives you much more payload for a very small price difference. It will either allow you to carry more stuff or support an upgrade for the trailer when that time comes (everyone does it eventually). The gas engine will also give you more payload since its lighter than the diesel. I've towed in the mountains with gas and diesel, I wouldn't go back to gas for any mountain towing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I agree, My wife and I were in the same predicament and we went with the F350 in my opinion is the F350 will actually ride better than the F250 due to the helper springs. We have a 14’ and have done the delete on our 6.7 due to the def heater failing at 104k now I get around 18mpg in summer driving and 16mpg in winter and when we tow our 337rls we are between 11-12mpg. And that is great because I believe that the gas 250 and 350 only get 12-13mpg not pulling anything and around 6-7mpg when towing. Just my 2cents but something to think about.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this won't win me any friends, but you're talking about a trailer with a >6,000lb GVWR. I understand the idea of buying more truck than you need and the benefits of diesels in the mountains and extra capacity, etc... But, realistically both trucks are overkill for that trailer. Shoot, a properly-equipped half-ton can do the job, even in the mountains. Will the 3/4-ton do it better? ...Yes. Will the diesel be even better in the mountains? ...Yes, and exhaust brakes rule. I'm just saying that for this trailer you're nowhere near the point of needing a 3/4-ton truck to have a nice towing experience. But, I get it more truck is always better... ...Except when you pay for it or park it.

That said.... There's a lot of sense in buying a truck you can grow into. Later, you may want a 5er or just a heavier trailer. Either way, a 3/4-ton is the starting point. If that's your long-term plan, then go for the diesel and I agree that the 1-ton option is probably better from a cost/benefit standpoint for the reasons others have stated.

The only real benefit I see in getting a 3/4 gasser is the payload. That diesel powertrain weighs a lot and it all comes off the payload. This won't matter for your 2250rk or even some much larger trailers, but for a future 5er it'll probably bite you. Also, the gas mileage is mediocre at best and usually terrible when towing. You have to give up the turbo and exhaust brakes, too; both of which are super-awesome.

In the end you have to get what makes the most sen$e for you. Everything's a compromise, after all. If I had the money, I'd be plopping down on a 2020 1-ton Chevy. Of course, then I'd be getting that new toy-hauler, and a new bike or two... The DW should have her own, right? ;-)
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast