User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi osito706.
    We have decided to go with the F350 diesel. It seems the way for us to have the best experience while we are pulling the trailer. We have just started the process of looking at them. So many options (even with heavy duty alternators, for example)! To repeat what other people have said, it also gives us the ability to keep using this same truck with a larger trailer if that happens. I don't see it at this point as we like the 2250's size for being quite mobile, which is important to us. This truck should be good for that too.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A different point of view. I have a Solitude 310GK-R (14000 lbs. fully loaded) and I pull it with a Ram 2500 HD 6.4 lit. gas with towing package. I took it to Canada last summer for 60 days and pulled 10% grades with no problem. Was following my friend in a 2019 Tiffin 40 ft. Class A 450 HP diesel pusher and had no problems keeping up with him on any hills. The HD towing package has a tow button which changes the transmission shifting ratios and also gives engine braking on steep downhills. I am sure you can get by with a gas 2500 truck pulling your Imagine trailer. Sure the diesel fanatics will tell you diesel is better but it is a lot more expensive to buy and maintain.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheGuy.
    Thanks for your input! Basically, the reason why we decided on a F350 diesel is what you are saying. We might have been able to use a 150, but we want the best experience while we are pulling the trailer. This includes better stability from the weight of a heavier truck, a perceived more relaxed ride and engine braking with the diesel, we went with the 350 rather than the 250 because of the additional weight of the diesel engine. And I have no argument with someone saying they have used a half ton to pull this exact trailer all over the country. Part of the reason for the overkill is to make up for my lack of towing experience. I did not grow up on a farm, or have a job where you "pull things", or have a boat on a trailer or anything that gives you experience pulling things, so I am looking for any advantage that helps make our life easier and therefore more enjoyable while we are traveling with the trailer. That is why I am also getting every camera and "someone is beside me" sensor that I can get for the same reason. Just a little more help.
    Of course, we did start pulling a trailer 2 summers ago. An A-liner behind my V6 RAV4. They collapse like a tent trailer for towing, but have hard sides (nice in grizzly country). We went for 2 months up to the Yukon the first year and 3 months up into Alaska last year, so we learned a lot, like for us we needed a larger trailer that doesn't fold. Hence, the 2250RK. Same reason, a more enjoyable experience on our trips.
    Again, thank you for responding. I appreciate it!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larsslc View Post
    A different point of view. I have a Solitude 310GK-R (14000 lbs. fully loaded) and I pull it with a Ram 2500 HD 6.4 lit. gas with towing package. I took it to Canada last summer for 60 days and pulled 10% grades with no problem. Was following my friend in a 2019 Tiffin 40 ft. Class A 450 HP diesel pusher and had no problems keeping up with him on any hills. The HD towing package has a tow button which changes the transmission shifting ratios and also gives engine braking on steep downhills. I am sure you can get by with a gas 2500 truck pulling your Imagine trailer. Sure the diesel fanatics will tell you diesel is better but it is a lot more expensive to buy and maintain.
    Hi Iarssic.
    Thanks for the input. That is a big trailer you are pulling! Yes, checking the option box for a diesel requires you to be sitting down. It sounds like you have a great truck. From what I have been researching, the diesel will work out well for us. I hope it gives us many, many and many more kilometers of trouble-free service.
    Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding to the Diesel recommendation

Had a Tundra pulling a 23' Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler. Always felt like the trailer was driving the truck. Scary on downhills.

Bought a RAM 3500 Diesel Dually to pull our next trailer (34' Toy Hauler).

Sold the Toy Hauler and bought a 2250RK this year and love it!

Yes, 350 Diesel Dually is way overkill, and I hardly know the trailer is back there, but ... trhe exhaust brake is may favorite feature of the diesel, rarely need the brakes on hills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    Hi osito706.
    We have decided to go with the F350 diesel. It seems the way for us to have the best experience while we are pulling the trailer. We have just started the process of looking at them. So many options (even with heavy duty alternators, for example)! To repeat what other people have said, it also gives us the ability to keep using this same truck with a larger trailer if that happens. I don't see it at this point as we like the 2250's size for being quite mobile, which is important to us. This truck should be good for that too.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Good choice, can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbndive View Post
    Had a Tundra pulling a 23' Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler. Always felt like the trailer was driving the truck. Scary on downhills.

Bought a RAM 3500 Diesel Dually to pull our next trailer (34' Toy Hauler).

Sold the Toy Hauler and bought a 2250RK this year and love it!

Yes, 350 Diesel Dually is way overkill, and I hardly know the trailer is back there, but ... trhe exhaust brake is may favorite feature of the diesel, rarely need the brakes on hills.
    Ha,ha…. Yes that Dually would be pretty impressive pulling that trailer! I just can't justify that.... Have to say no at some point or I'd end up with a Semi! Yes, I am looking forward to seeing how the engine (exhaust) braking works in the mountains.
    Thanks for that, mtbndive!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry377mbs View Post
    Good choice, can't wait to see it!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it too!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    Hi.
    We just bought an Imagine 2250RK and are now deciding on a tow vehicle for it. We have been looking at the Ford F-250. In previous years we have pulled an A-liner from southern Ontario to Alaska using a RAV4, including driving through the Rocky Mountains. The duration of the trips was 2-3 months. This year we would like to do the same with our new trailer. I know the F-250 diesel generally is very much overkill as far as it's towing capabilities, but I am just thinking about the steep ups and downs going through the mountains. I believe we had 8% grades while going through the Yukon. I am wondering if it would be a better experience with 6.7 diesel engine as compared to the 6.2 gas engine and maybe less effort required, for the truck and for us. Other than pulling the trailer, the truck would see a bit of normal use around home, but at least half to three quarters of the miles put on would probably be pulling the trailer.
    In any case I would be curious what vehicles other people are using to pull their trailer of roughly this size.
    Thanks!
    Hi Ontario Scott, Congratulations on the 2250RK, the Wife and I have had ours a little over a year and love it ...you will too! About the tow vehicle, I had a really nice F150 gasser when we bought the trailer and it did a fine job pulling the trailer but you knew the trailer was behind you. The main issue I had with the F150 was lack of payload so I bought a F250 6.2 gasser which made a huge difference all around and I had over 3000lbs of payload, no problems handling that 2250RK and I could put whatever I wanted in the cargo bed. I loved that truck except for two things … it only has a 27 gal fuel tank which is way too small for a very big truck that was getting 10 to 11 miles per gallon when towing and there are not any aftermarket tanks available. Notice I say I "loved" that truck .. I too became a member of the two timers club (maybe a three timer if you count the F150) because the Wife did not like the way the truck rode, Fords are known for being great work trucks and are not the smoothest riding trucks and, we have plans to do longer trips when I retire in a month so the idea of hearing my wife complain about the ride quality of the truck as we travel the states made my decision to join the Two Timers club easier. I got rid of a 1 year old truck with 7,000 miles on it and bought a GMC 3500 Denali with the Duramax diesel ...very nice truck and rides like a Cadillac. As they say "Happy Wife, Happy Life" so my advice is to think about fuel costs and test drive different makes of trucks with your partner so you pick the right vehicle the first time. Good luck!
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, all of the diesel and big v-8 afficionados have weighed in. I don't disagree with them, really.
    But my F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost pulls our 2250RK just fine.
    Yes, not at 65 up the steep grades, I admit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast