User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will_Burt_CO View Post
    OK, all of the diesel and big v-8 afficionados have weighed in. I don't disagree with them, really.
    But my F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost pulls our 2250RK just fine.
    Yes, not at 65 up the steep grades, I admit.
    I think the OP's comment below is why the diesel folks weighed in...

Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    ... but I am just thinking about the steep ups and downs going through the mountains. I believe we had 8% grades while going through the Yukon. I am wondering if it would be a better experience with 6.7 diesel engine as compared to the 6.2 gas engine and maybe less effort required, for the truck and for us...
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-24-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I think the OP's comment below is why the diesel folks weighed in...
    Hi Will_Burt_CO.
    Thanks for telling me about how you are doing it! I think the 3.5 ecoboost is an awesome truck. I have read reviews talking about it's "pullability" (if there is such a word) and the ride must be sweet. There is no "one way" to do this and if we were all the same it would be a boring world! I think you probably have more experience with pulling things then I do. I think that for ME, I need all the advantages that I can get, and I think that comes with the heavier truck. Plus it allows us to upsize the trailer some day (I don't see that happening, but I'm sure nobody bought a serious trailer thinking that "this is fine for now, but I'm planning on upgrading").
    Enjoy your truck and your trailer, we are looking forward to taking delivery of the trailer when we get the truck.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... but we want the best experience while we are pulling the trailer.
    If you're looking for every advantage while towing, give this thread a read: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Truck-A-Review

Not an inexpensive gadget, but now that I've towed with it I wouldn't go without it.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop59 View Post
    Hi Ontario Scott, Congratulations on the 2250RK, the Wife and I have had ours a little over a year and love it ...you will too! About the tow vehicle, I had a really nice F150 gasser when we bought the trailer and it did a fine job pulling the trailer but you knew the trailer was behind you. The main issue I had with the F150 was lack of payload so I bought a F250 6.2 gasser which made a huge difference all around and I had over 3000lbs of payload, no problems handling that 2250RK and I could put whatever I wanted in the cargo bed. I loved that truck except for two things … it only has a 27 gal fuel tank which is way too small for a very big truck that was getting 10 to 11 miles per gallon when towing and there are not any aftermarket tanks available. Notice I say I "loved" that truck .. I too became a member of the two timers club (maybe a three timer if you count the F150) because the Wife did not like the way the truck rode, Fords are known for being great work trucks and are not the smoothest riding trucks and, we have plans to do longer trips when I retire in a month so the idea of hearing my wife complain about the ride quality of the truck as we travel the states made my decision to join the Two Timers club easier. I got rid of a 1 year old truck with 7,000 miles on it and bought a GMC 3500 Denali with the Duramax diesel ...very nice truck and rides like a Cadillac. As they say "Happy Wife, Happy Life" so my advice is to think about fuel costs and test drive different makes of trucks with your partner so you pick the right vehicle the first time. Good luck!
    Hi Coop59.
    Thanks for sending me this. Your point about the fuel capacity made me look it up and for the f350 diesel crew cab with the 6 ft box it has 34 gallons. Now..... If I went to the 8 ft box it has 48 gal. But that truck is just too long for me. I don't doubt what you are saying about the ride of the GMC. Actually, we seem to have a lot of GM trucks in our area (we also have a GM plant not too terribly far away, so that may explain some of it). However my family has a bit of history with ford trucks. Not that I'd by one if I thought they were inferior! And I think I can get a pretty reasonable price on one. Funny what you are saying about your co-driver. We started looking and right away we needed power adjustable peddles. My wife is short. So I figured the XLT was a pretty good compromise as far as trim goes. I can load it up with everything I need and that would be good. Now of course what happens is the salesman from one dealership shows us a lightly used Lariat that just came in. We took it for a test drive and it was very nice, but did not have some of our "must haves". But.... what my wife noticed is that with the adjustable front seats of the Lariat, she could adjust them so her feet would be on the floor. She said that she could use a box under her feet on the XLT, but..... That got me looking on line at the build page, again. What I found (and what a lot of you already know), is that by moving up another trim level, although it is a definite jump in price, is not seem quite as much as you would think as it includes a lot of the options of the one below it as standard equipment. Not to mention I would appreciate the additional adjustability of the seats on the 10 hour travel days as well.
    Again, thanks for your advice. I appreciate it!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I figured the XLT was a pretty good compromise as far as trim goes. I can load it up with everything I need and that would be good. Now of course what happens is the salesman from one dealership shows us a lightly used Lariat that just came in.
    The Lariat was the starting point for us to get the dual zone heating and air settings.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    If you're looking for every advantage while towing, give this thread a read: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Truck-A-Review

Not an inexpensive gadget, but now that I've towed with it I wouldn't go without it.
    Hmmm..... I may take a serious look at this. Thank you for sharing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we are again beating the ol tow vehicle question to death...but who am I to pass up the opportunity to kick an issue while it is down?

I believe in the old adage - It's not how much you can pull, it's how much you can stop. That's why I bought an F-350 over a 250. Larger brakes. If I was to do it all over I again, I would seriously consider the F-450 for the same reason plus a shorter turning radius. But just my $0.02.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Here we are again beating the ol tow vehicle question to death...but who am I to pass up the opportunity to kick an issue while it is down?

I believe in the old adage - It's not how much you can pull, it's how much you can stop. That's why I bought an F-350 over a 250. Larger brakes. If I was to do it all over I again, I would seriously consider the F-450 for the same reason plus a shorter turning radius. But just my $0.02.
    While every truck today is SAE certified to stop the RV with the truck brakes alone (at a relatively low speed) the truck brakes stop the truck and the RV brakes stop the RV. You can never go wrong with an oversize truck (except for comfort) but its not necessary as long as all the weight tags in the door jamb are adhered to.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-04-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234