Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel vs gas for towing a Imagine 2250RK

Hi.
    We just bought an Imagine 2250RK and are now deciding on a tow vehicle for it. We have been looking at the Ford F-250. In previous years we have pulled an A-liner from southern Ontario to Alaska using a RAV4, including driving through the Rocky Mountains. The duration of the trips was 2-3 months. This year we would like to do the same with our new trailer. I know the F-250 diesel generally is very much overkill as far as it's towing capabilities, but I am just thinking about the steep ups and downs going through the mountains. I believe we had 8% grades while going through the Yukon. I am wondering if it would be a better experience with 6.7 diesel engine as compared to the 6.2 gas engine and maybe less effort required, for the truck and for us. Other than pulling the trailer, the truck would see a bit of normal use around home, but at least half to three quarters of the miles put on would probably be pulling the trailer.
    In any case I would be curious what vehicles other people are using to pull their trailer of roughly this size.
    Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will enjoy the ease of the diesel pulling power. The exhaust brake will be a big help going down the mountain you just climbed up.
    This is one of those tough discussions , but my opinion the diesel wins if you are towing more than just driving.
    I have had both and have always been my daily drivers so I get more miles , for now at least , driving but still like the diesel.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The diesel will be the better option for mountains, especially with the exhaust brake. Whichever you choose, you might want to consider a F350. It will ride the same as the 250, but has an extra helper spring which doesnt affect unloaded driving. This gives you much more payload for a very small price difference. It will either allow you to carry more stuff or support an upgrade for the trailer when that time comes (everyone does it eventually). The gas engine will also give you more payload since its lighter than the diesel. I've towed in the mountains with gas and diesel, I wouldn't go back to gas for any mountain towing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country Campers and FT4NOW, thank you very much for your advice. It is a very tough decision as it adds on around 10K to an already expensive vehicle. But we are new to trailers of this size and are trying to make smart decisions that will make for a better experience. The last thing I want is to buy a truck and a month later wish I had bought a different one. And yes, it is a good idea to think about the future when buying one of these beasts!
    Thanks again!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioScott View Post
    Country Campers and FT4NOW, thank you very much for your advice. It is a very tough decision as it adds on around 10K to an already expensive vehicle. But we are new to trailers of this size and are trying to make smart decisions that will make for a better experience. The last thing I want is to buy a truck and a month later wish I had bought a different one. And yes, it is a good idea to think about the future when buying one of these beasts!
    Thanks again!
    Just so you know, there is a club on this forum, the two time two vehicle club. It's better if you dont join if you can help it. Doing research upfront and looking down the road can save you lots of $. $10k now for an upgrade will prob be less than the depreciation and trade in loss you will take if you realized you bought the wrong truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, ha! I think that is a club I would like to take a pass on.

I feel that either engine (6.2 gas or the 6.7 diesel) would do the job, but I just wonder, for instance, if the gas engine would require a bit of beating on to keep up with traffic while going up some of the steeper grades (and how this would affect it long term). Perhaps the greatest (or most immediately obvious) advantage would be the diesel's engine assisted braking going down hill.
    Lots of things to consider...….
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I know the F-250 diesel generally is very much overkill as far as it's towing capabilities,... I am wondering if it would be a better experience with 6.7 diesel engine as compared to the 6.2 gas engine and maybe less effort required, for the truck and for us. Other than pulling the trailer, the truck would see a bit of normal use around home, but at least half to three quarters of the miles put on would probably be pulling the trailer.
    I pretty much stopped participating in threads regarding tow vehicles but your post was different than most so I'm jumping in on this one!

First, IMO, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to tow vehicles. You can't have too much HP or torque or comfort or safety, etc. The Imagine 2250RK is a pretty light trailer (relatively speaking) and you could easily tow it with a modern 1/2 ton gas truck but an F-250 diesel isn't going to rip the tongue off the trailer and go too fast climbing hills or too slow descending them.

Would it be a better experience? Absolutely! There is a huge difference between towing a trailer up a hill at 50mph with the engine screaming while you're constantly scanning the temp gauges waiting for something to blow up while dodging the semi trucks in the truck lane. Then worrying about your brakes overheating going down the hill you just climbed vs. setting the cruise at 65mph and climbing and descending any hill anywhere while your engine hums along at 1,500rpm and rarely even downshifts with temps barely budging. Stress and blood pressure drop significantly. Unless you've towed with both types of tow vehicles, you can't imagine the difference in the towing experience. I've towed with some marginal tow vehicles in my lifetime and I now have an F-350 DRW diesel so I know the difference.

Lastly - you mention using the truck for towing 1/2 to 3/4's of the time. This type of usage is where the pendulum swings away from a light duty gas truck and towards an HD diesel.

Do you need an HD diesel truck to tow a 7,000lb trailer? Absolutely not. But, you asked if a diesel would be a better experience and it would. You also said you'd be using the truck mainly for towing. Another point for the diesel. Finally, you didn't mention upgrading to a larger RV down the road but if you're like many other people here (myself included), you will have the truck to handle it if you do upgrade to a larger and heavier RV.

My last thought... skip the F-250 and get an F-350. Way more payload and the same unloaded ride experience for basically the same price.

Good luck with your decision! With your Imagine 2250RK, you can't really make a wrong decision.

Now I'll sit back and read all the posts that say I'm crazy. I'm used to it now so no big deal...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I jumped in because I'm a Ford fanatic as are my family and friends and I feel I know their products well. I've had gassers, half tons, F250's, and a dually. I'm currently on my 3rd diesel super duty. I'll start by saying you absolutely do not need a diesel for that trailer. A couple points though. If gas, then get the 4.30 rear axle, you'll have a hard time finding one in stock so be prepared to order. And I agree with the others to get an f350 and skip the 250. It won't ride any worse and won't cost much more. But the extra payload WILL come in handy some day in the future. The only reason for the 250 is the GVWR is capped at 10,000 pounds which in some states or provinces can greatly affect the registration and insurance costs. 10k is usually the dividing line for commercial use. Most places it won't affect you as you're obviously not commercial so get the 350. Last all I'll say about the diesel is if you ever tow with one you'll never go back to gas. The difference is that good. Even with a 7000lb trailer. It's never over kill, its about a comfortable and enjoyable experience. If I were in your shoes I would choose a diesel f350. If YOU choose gas you will be just fine with that combination because you won't know what you're missing, I however would know, and I wouldn't like it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, may not be necessary, but your towing experience will no doubt be much better.

Biggest thing I enjoy is the diesel exhaust brake. Awesome when going downhill. Heck, even when towing on flat ground, I barely use my brakes when I come to a stop exiting the freeway. Way way better towing experience.

I am a member of two time club as well, but in my case, I got a great deal on my 3/4 ton diesel, to the point where it only lost $1500 in value over a two year period. Sold it to a dealer (not trade), and bought a brand new 2017 Ram 3500 for another great deal. So, two timing can work out, but generally not.

I think you will find, as many of us have, once you go diesel, you won't go back.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again!
    In the same boat lst year it was a jaycco a265rlsw...6k. F150 5.0 crew didnt like it well enough to make me comfortabke. Up to F250 5.2 gas crew cab...never k ew it was back there...to present. New 315RLTS on its way...numbers say it will work. But its at the upper limit. Picking up F350 Powerstroke crew cab....puts me about 60%of capacity. Feeling A LOT better about the choice. Plus I got what I paid for my 2018 on trade and 6500 i. cash offer and re bates. Chomping at the bit to get them both.
    Drop

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast