User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you know this but I will inform.....
    When propane is used one is only using the "gas" that is "boiled off by (insert big word here). The liquid part of the propane is "never" used. When you fill the tank from a "donation" tank , as described in the directions , turning it upside down will allow the "liquid" to transfer to the "to be filled" tank. If this is not done then you will only get the "gas" part of the propane and it will not regenerate from the liquid part.
    Another useful tid bit of info , and not for the faint of heart , is if you are trying to shrink fit something you can use this same process. Turn a propane tank upside down and use a hose with a valve to "spray" the liquid propane onto the object to shrink it , propane liquid is very cold when released. BIG CAUTION is to be taken when doing this though for obvious reasons.

Brian

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes from 10.5 years in the liquid propane (LP) gas industry... 80% full is the legal standard to fill a propane gas container. Do NOT try to fill to 100% capacity. There are dead people that did this. Propane liquid expands and contracts with the surrounding atmospheric temperature. (At a home LP tank, you can read the percent full gauge early in the AM and then again when the temp is at the highest for the day...it will show a higher reading.) The 80% fill allows room for the vapor expansion. Yes, you burn vapor, not liquid. Propane boils at up to -40 degrees. It's not colder than the surrounding atmosphere, but it feels much colder due to the rapid vaporization. Last, but not least - don't release propane into the air as it is highly combustible and it is heavier than air. Than means that it will stay low to the ground and actually pool in low areas. That could become an issue. I used to tell people that wanted us to install there own cylinder filling equipment at their home tank that it would cost $1,000,000. That's the minimum that our company would have to pay when they killed themselves or others.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you say is fine sarge, when going on a hunting adventure and needing much propane it really galls me that I only get 80% of what I need for the trip. So I end up taking two bottles instead of one to make up. I am ok with that but the pack animals not so much. It was fine years ago, then the left decided I needed more protection.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear . . . propane tanks have never been able to be safely filled beyond 80%. Many years ago, we used “spitter” valves to indicate 80%. Portable tanks used to be done by weight. Any recent tanks have float valves that shut off fill at 80% liquid level. Beyond 80% and you are risking serious consequences. This is not a “new rule”, just better ways of protecting people from their own misunderstandings.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a rule that was put on place years ago. Before the we filled them until the valve spit gas then shut them off. Filled many bottles by the old rule and never had a problem. Got a full bottle too

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that 1 lb propane DOT 39 tanks were for one use only? Is it safe to refill them?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    It is a rule that was put on place years ago. Before the we filled them until the valve spit gas then shut them off. Filled many bottles by the old rule and never had a problem. Got a full bottle too
    When the "valve spits" liquid propane . . . that is at 80% full.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I thought that 1 lb propane DOT 39 tanks were for one use only? Is it safe to refill them?
    The "design intent" of the 1 lb tanks is single use only. They have no mechanism to assure an 80% maximum refill other than the residual gas pressure in the small tank . . . which is hardly an accurate way of accomplishing this. "Is it safe to refill them ?" is a personal judgement call . . . obviously you can purchase an adapter to do this. I wouldn't do it (that's just my personal opinion).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems I read someplace that it's not advised to refill the one pound cans as they may not reseal at the top and leak.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At around 3 bucks a pop, I don't see the value in reusing a cylinder designed for single use and is not compliant with D.O.T. If I really wanted to reuse a 1lb cylinder I might try this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Re.../dp/B00MM3GCVO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast