User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GD Solitude 344 (listed as 12600lbs with 2500lb hitch weight) being pulled by a 2013 F250 Super Duty. I weighed everything and here is the long and short of it. The weight of the RV and the combined vehicle weight are within the capacity of the truck. The cargo capacity (hitch weight, passengers, hitch, axle air bags, extra fuel tank, etc) exceeds the cargo capacity and the axle capacity of the truck by about 550lbs. The capacity of the tires is OK. The real problem is that the axle gearing is too high speed for the load being towed. Most of the time the transmission drops to 5th gear so the mileage is about 9mpg.

If I had a choice, I would have an F350, but can't afford the change.

By the way, GD was not even close on what the hitch weight really was. It was about 700lbs more than what they listed at that time.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I don't worry about the payload. I don't worry about the axles. I don't worry about the tires. I don't worry about anything. I just sit back, turn on the seat heaters, massage and ACC and cruise down the highway...

For RV's over 15-16,000lbs it's the only way to go.
    Well said and I agree 100% This really sums up the whole dually debate.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I don't really like owning a DRW truck. It doesn't fit in my garage. It's a hassle driving in town, etc. But, when I hook up my 5th wheel, I'm REALLY glad I have it. It makes the towing experience stress free. I don't worry about the payload. I don't worry about the axles. I don't worry about the tires. I don't worry about anything. I just sit back, turn on the seat heaters, massage and ACC and cruise down the highway...

For RV's over 15-16,000lbs it's the only way to go.
    I agree with this as well, but differ in my experience of "driving in town", but I have the default tight turning radius of the F450. I would look for that in any truck to help with maneuverability. Now the garage thing is a whole different story, but I'm out of bays anyway :-)
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkgolfer View Post
    Yea, you have too much pin weight for a 3/4 ton truck. Not knowing the tow weight of your truck...the GVWR for that rig is about 16,500lbs...which I am guess is either right at the towing limit or exceeding the towing limit of the truck. You will hear folks saying they can pull and haul that rig with a 3/4 ton..and yes they can. But because you can does not mean you should. And another good thing to follow is don't go beyond 80% of your truck's payload and towing capacity.

Also, if you ever get in an accident and your truck+rig combination is found to exceed your truck's capabilities, you could be found at fault or fined at minimum. Better to be safe than sorry.

And insurance will probably be denied as well....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    And insurance will probably be denied as well....
    Maybe......every insurance policy has a "intentional acts" exclusion built in....to protect the insurance company from un-insurable situations.....road rage is an intentional act.......so is knowingly exceeding the manufacturers rating of the TV. Will that clause be applied.....probably not in small situations....small "property damage" claims, but if you have a large BI (bodily injury) claim....maybe/probably.

My opinion, but based on 50+ years in the insurance business

Like stated above....get the DRW and be done with it.

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Maybe......every insurance policy has a "intentional acts" exclusion built in....to protect the insurance company from un-insurable situations.....road rage is an intentional act.......so is knowingly exceeding the manufacturers rating of the TV. Will that clause be applied.....probably not in small situations....small "property damage" claims, but if you have a large BI (bodily injury) claim....maybe/probably.

Cal
    Sorry, I can't buy this. I'm not a lawyer or an insurance guy, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

By that definition 95% of the traffic accidents that happen would be denied. Roll a stop sign and cause an accident - denied. driving to fast for conditions, accident - denied. speeding, accident - denied. All "intentional acts" by that definition. One would be "knowingly" breaking those laws

The "intentional act" exclusion is for actual intent to cause damage. Road rage yes, you intended to cause damage. Speeding and cause an accident, the speeding was intentional the accident was not. Burn down your house on purpose, Intentional. Leave your fireplace doors open and your house burns down,accident. Unless you load up with the intention of causing an accident I don't see how that exception applies.

A quick google search:

https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...egal-acts.html
    https://www.simmonsandfletcher.com/c...cts-exclusion/
    What is an Intentional Act Exclusion?
    An Intentional Act Exclusion is a clause in a liability insurance policy that excludes coverage for injuries intentionally caused by the insured. When an insured tries to cause someone harm, this voids the insurance coverage. The “intent” that is referred to is the intent to cause harm, not the intent to do the act. Tanner v. Nationwide Mut. Fire Ins. Co., No. 07-0760 (Tex. Apr. 21, 2009). Otherwise, every time a driver intentionally ran a red light or drive in excess of the speed limit, this would void coverage and too many drivers would be considered uninsured. For more on applicability, please see the tab on the right entitled: “Will automobile liability insurance cover intentional acts?”

Is every state the same?? Could a lawyer use it against you in a civil suit, probably. Will it matter?? Will your insurance deny you, doubtful, unless you have bobs backyard discount plan. YMMV

I'm not arguing that its a good idea or a bad idea in this case. I already said I probably wouldn't be doing it but I don't know his circumstances.This insurance denial thing has been thrown around so often but I have yet to read or hear about a single instance.

IMO There are a bunch of other way more important factors than that little yellow sticker that has somehow become gospel.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post

Cal
    Cal,

I would take your 50 years of insurance experience and abide by your advice myself. But to try and convince these 2500/F250 grossly overloaded folks that its not OK to overload a truck is futile. Some just need to learn the hard way. I've been a mechanical engineer in the auto industry for years and know how these vehicles are built, tested and certified. While I've tried to convince them that a 3/4 ton truck is not a 1 ton truck which can vary in many areas that are invisible to the customer, its a waste of time.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 05-24-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LatheNut View Post
    I have a GD Solitude 344 (listed as 12600lbs with 2500lb hitch weight) being pulled by a 2013 F250 Super Duty. I weighed everything and here is the long and short of it. The weight of the RV and the combined vehicle weight are within the capacity of the truck. The cargo capacity (hitch weight, passengers, hitch, axle air bags, extra fuel tank, etc) exceeds the cargo capacity and the axle capacity of the truck by about 550lbs. The capacity of the tires is OK. The real problem is that the axle gearing is too high speed for the load being towed. Most of the time the transmission drops to 5th gear so the mileage is about 9mpg.

If I had a choice, I would have an F350, but can't afford the change.

By the way, GD was not even close on what the hitch weight really was. It was about 700lbs more than what they listed at that time.
    You DO realize that those numbers are the empty weight numbers....right? No one hauls an empty trailer and GVWR on that trailer is 16,800 lb, which if loaded close to that weight is going to put the pin weight in the 3400 lb range. You don't state what F250 you have....gas or diesel, Crewcab or regular cab, 4x4 or 4x2, so let me just tell you that IF, it's a Diesel, 4x4, CrewCab, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch or higher, you are overloaded.....even when the trailer is empty.

Here is a quote from your post above...."The weight of the RV and the combined vehicle weight are within the capacity of the truck" So that statement pertains to just a couple of the parameters involved in safe towing. What about the rest of the capacities.....you can't just ignore them because one or two fit within you combination.....Payload, GVWR, GCVWR, FAWR, RAWR, Tire Load Capacity. The manufacturers of the vehicle clearly states that NONE of the stated capacities should EVER be exceeded. So tell us a little more about your truck and how it's built.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-24-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xrated, I weighed everything loaded. I think if you read what I said, I addressed all of your comments, including the fact that the truck is overloaded.

To make it real clear, the rear axle loads and cargo loads both exceed specifications by 500-600lbs. Everything else is within spec.

I could be more specific, but my data is not accessible to me right now and I am doing my best to remember the data correctly

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems if the 2500/F250 is really an 3500/F350 except on paper they would all have a 10000lb GVWR. Why all the differences in these vehicles? Why does the gas truck have a higher payload than the diesel? Since they are all underrated shouldn't they all be capable of 10000lbs? After all isn't this really about skirting the regs?
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 05-25-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast