User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overmatched Truck???

We have a 2017 350M being towed by a Short Bed 4x4 2017 Ram 2500 with the larger diesel w/ air suspension.
    Reading this forum has frightened me as to the prospect of putting my BMW motorcycle in the garage and hauling it around the country. I'm going to sound kind of stupid because I'm really new at this but we have the largest Pullright slider hitch offered. Am I way out of bounds? We have put roughly 2000 miles without incident or difficulty.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at your owners manual and see what the rating is for pulling a trailer and how much weight it can carry. That will probably tell you that you have a safety issue, but check to be sure.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you'll be over by a significant amount on your payload (pin weight). The yellow sticker in your drivers door will tell you what that number is but i'll bet its around 2100/2200lbs and your unit is probably close to 3000lbs empty. also you need to add for passengers and gear in the truck.

2500's are limited due to the 10000 cap before you jump a weight class. Depending on who you want to believe they are mostly a derated (on paper) 3500. Up to you if you want to worry about it. I will stay out of that debate (and it will come). I would for sure make sure the tires have a weight rating to cover what your actually carrying.

Good news is adding the bike to the garage will help with the pin weight. Overall weight I will bet your fine.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 05-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Tires i have are designed for even more than I am carrying. Great thought in the bike's affect on the pin weight . Do I have to go all the way to DRW to be safe? ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be under the payload sticker probably need a DRW. To be “safe”. Well I’m staying out of that.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you go to your nearest truck scales (truck stop probably) and get a reading on your truck and what weights are on the axles.
    Then compare the receipt they give you with the sticker on your door post.
    That's the only way you'll know for sure where you stand.
    Most Momentums and full size Solitudes really do best with dual rear wheels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydawg View Post
    Am I way out of bounds?
    Only because you asked. GD lists the dry pin weight of the 350M at #2825 . I would guess you are out of bounds as it pertains to the GVWR of your truck and possibly your rear axle. Hit the scales to be sure.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree to go to the scales (CAT scales are everywhere across the USA), but I will guarantee that you are overweight on payload, which automatically puts you over the GVWR of the truck. You may even be close to the Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR), so check that too. As previously stated, the 250/2500 series of trucks will have a 10,000 lb GVWR. Most all of the 3/4 Ton trucks with the diesel....Ram, Ford, GMC...and then adding on a 4x4, will put your payload number in the very low 2K lbs. I previously owned a 2011 F250 CrewCab, 4x4, diesel XLT (not a lot of options like the Lariat and King Ranch) and it had a payload number of..... 2148 lbs. The Lariat and King Ranch would have even less payload as they have more equipment on the same 10K max GVWR. The published pin weight for the 350M is for a totally empty trailer as it was built at the factory. Then the dealer installs a battery and fills the propane tanks, they you, the owner start piling stuff in it for you camping. The GVWR on the trailer is 16,500 lbs and if you loaded it to that amount of weight or close to it, you could very easily see 3300 lb of pin weight...maybe a bit more. Then the weight of the hitch that you have for it, plus any passenger(s), plus anything else you might load in the truck or on the truck. It wouldn't be out of the question for that weight to total over 3800-3900 lbs or more. And all of that weight is being put on a truck with a payload of maybe 2200 lbs or less....depending on the truck configuration....CrewCab, Regular Cab, trim package and so on. As stated, check the driver side door sticker and see what the Cargo Carrying Capacity is, as listed on that sticker....I'm afraid you aren't going to like it when you see it though.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I did contrast 3500 axel and brake parts and the 2500 for.my 2018 Ram. From what I could tell, they were the same. 3500 have leaf springs compared to coil on 2500. Considering that, the limiting factor on my truck is the tires. 125 load rating.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Cat Scale Locator - you put in your zip code and it gives you a list of scales close to you. If you want to be safe, go by the truck specs and what the numbers from the scale tell you. The only place I've seen it written that axle capacities are all that matter is on a RV forum by guys with 3/4 ton trucks and monster fifth wheels.

That's as far as I'll go with it
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast