Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch shank and receiver mounting question

I’m new to weight distribution hitches. There are two points on the shank where they can be secured to the receiver on the tow vehicle. I’ve literally watched and read 5-8 hitch set up instructions or videos, including the one I own. No one tells you if it is better for the hitch and ball to be closer to the tow vehicle, or further away.

I would imagine some vehicles have less room for the shank, and can only one mounting position. I can use either, just don’t know if one is better than the other either for the tow vehicle or for the effective hitch weight. It would seem that the further back the ball is from the tow vehicle, there would be more leverage and more tongue weight?

Knowledge is appreciated, i’ve learned a great deal already!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsofia View Post
    I’m new to weight distribution hitches. There are two points on the shank where they can be secured to the receiver on the tow vehicle. I’ve literally watched and read 5-8 hitch set up instructions or videos, including the one I own. No one tells you if it is better for the hitch and ball to be closer to the tow vehicle, or further away.

I would imagine some vehicles have less room for the shank, and can only one mounting position. I can use either, just don’t know if one is better than the other either for the tow vehicle or for the effective hitch weight. It would seem that the further back the ball is from the tow vehicle, there would be more leverage and more tongue weight?

Put the hitch as close to the receiver/vehicle as possible. Closer will provide more stability.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above is true to a point. It is also nice to be able to drop the tailgate of the vehicle to access the truck bed. A few inches should not matter. A foot or so ,yes you need to be a bit careful if you are close to max tongue weight allowed on your hitch.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Reese weight distributing hitch that we used with our previous travel trailer had two holes in the draw bar, and I seem to remember it having a sticker or stamp indicating different tongue weight capacities corresponding to the different holes. The hole that extended the ball mount farther away from the tow vehicle was rated for less tongue weight.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was told if a fifth wheel has a fully enclosed underbelly that you can not put a rear hitch on it, True or not?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsofia View Post

I tow my 297RSTS with the Blue Ox 20,000 pound WDH. The shaft is fairly long and there is only one hole to place the hitch pin in. While having the ball further back most likely increases the strain on the hitch, it does allow me to lower the tailgate with the trailer attached. Additionally, having the frame of the trailer farther from the bumper of the truck allows for a tighter turning radius.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD