User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it rains, it pours

I have only had my 311BHS for two weeks, only had it in my possession for two days, only towed it 60 miles, and never camped in it. You would think there is no way I could have a story to tell here already!

Yeah, but only a little one.

My wife and I stopped by the storage lot today so I could show her that I had, in fact, managed to park it without breaking anything. As we approached we saw one of the roof vents had apparently been left wide open by the techs at the dealership, and I had not noticed two days ago when I picked it up. No harm; it had not rained and we had the chance to address it. While we were at it we checked to see that each vent was only cracked to let a little air flow but no water in. SW Florida is back into its rainy season now, after all.

We were in a bit of a rush when we left, and I did not notice that the vent I had seen open was still... open. It turns out it is the vent in the half-bath, and is not accessible unless the bunk house slide is out. We didn't even think of where that vent must be. No problem; I am heading back tomorrow to install TVs, so I will handle it then.

Well, shortly after dinner it began to pour. I played it off like it was no big deal, but after 20 minutes of this I got antsy. I was thinking about spongy floors and wet carpet and big repair bills before the first outing. So off into the deluge I go, driving to the lot, standing in a downpour to unlock the gate, and get to my stricken 37' baby.

I got the battery disconnect reconnected, got the door open, and played the game of which-switch-opens-that-slide (not labeled yet, of course). As it turns out, there was only a small puddle on the floor, so I closed the vent and used my t-shirt to mop up the water and drain it into the sink. I'll go back tomorrow to see if there is any lingering water and install some TVs. What a rush.
    2019 Ford F350 6.7L Lariat SuperCrew DRW
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2020 Reflection 311BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that not "bad" for your first story. Here is hoping that that is the only story like that you will have and the rest will be exciting new adventures and fun times.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be worse. Good catch. Might want to add vent covers to your wish list now.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on vent covers. Especially in storage with vents cracked open! May that be your only issue
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain isn't bad -- we had about 3" of wet snow this morning. It is great to just take naps and get through it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Storing in FL you may want to get a couple of buckets of damp-rid. Kind of too bad the battery was disconnected, most of the vents have a rain detector on them and will close automatically when moisture is present.

+1 on the vent covers. Just double check they are large enough to accommodate your type of vent and too large to add additional height to your RV.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have recommended you need to add vent covers. I have had them on every camper I’ve owned. Part of my first day pick up/move in procedure. If you have a Max Fan it takes a different type than the regular vents. These are well worth the money for peace of mind. Another bonus is the fact that I leave my vents open all the time when in storage for fresh air circulation. During our tour of the laminating plant at the 2017 Elkhart Rally Jerry from GDRV recommended never completely closing up the unit. This is critical especially when the unit is new due to off-gassing from construction materials (formaldehyde, glue odors, etc.). Also we leave them open while traveling for some air circulation. Adding them is a simple do-it-yourself project.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.