User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samsung Fridgs stops working on inverter

I have had my 310gk-r for just under a year. I have taken several trips and the refrigerator has worked fine going down the road on the inverter. On the way home from our last trip, I tuned on the inverter and checked the fridge. All looked normal. When I got home the inverter light was on but the fridge was not working (lights off and warm). I did a check yesterday and recreated the problem. I started out on the shore line and cooled the refrigerator. I then unhooked the shore line and left my truck hooked up and running to feed the batteries which were full. Everything worked fine for about 30 minutes, then the fridge went off. No lights or cooling in the refrigerator. My current theory is it has something to do with the batteries. I had a generator put in, so the batteries were changed from RV to Marine so the generator could start. I'm thinking maybe the batteries could handle the refrigerator load when they were brand new, but now they are a little older the batteries can not stand up to the profile needed to run the refrigerator.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Easy enough to check. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals and see what voltage you get.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design for some help. I was told the Marine Batteries had the same profile as the regular RV battery. The problem was most likely bad batteries or an overheated inverter. Since the light stayed on for the inverter, I decided to look at the batteries first. Kevinpo, I did take a volt meter to the batteries and was not very pleased with what I saw. So, I pulled both batteries out and had them load tested. I bought my 310gk-r only 11 months ago, so the batteries were not very old. But, sure enough BOTH were bad. They were under warranty, so I got new ones for free. My only concern is what made both of them go bad so quick. I take good care of them. Well, problem solved for now!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Mike,
    The thing that makes these type batteries go bad is running them down below 50% charge 4 or 5 times. Each time they won't charge all the way back up. The first time maybe 96% second maybe 94% etc. You get the idea. I just got an DC amp/clamp meter (thanks for the link Gene I think ) and tomorrow I'm going to hook it to the truck power wire and see how many amps it puts to the batteries (Ram 2015 with 180 amp alternator). Mine are starting their 8th season. I use a 100W solar panel when I get to camp to keep them charged to at least 60%. The panel puts out about 5.38 amps.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter that come with most RV's are not very battery friendly.
    A quality 4 stage converter would help the batteries get up to a full charge and also desulfate them too.

We will be traveling for the first time with a working inverter next week. We have 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries. It should be no problem, now that we have a working inverter.

We have a 120 portable solar panel and watching the solar controller, it seems that it charges the batteries better then the converter. Someday I will upgrade it. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple points I will add:

1- make sure you are checking your water levels in your batteries by topping off with distilled water as needed. I check mine monthly or every other month depending on how much I am hooked up to shore power/ charging through the converter. As was noted earlier the OEM stock converter is not the best and you will loose some water over time
    2- With a two 12v batteries set up in parallel- make sure you are connected as shown in the diagram. Our dealer did not connect this way our first yr we had our rig and had connected both pos and neg leads off of one battery rather than as shown. This caused premature battery failure of one of the batteries.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5443802-538C-47D9-8C36-50AE244BED63.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	20159
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    A couple points I will add:

1- make sure you are checking your water levels in your batteries by topping off with distilled water as needed. I check mine monthly or every other month depending on how much I am hooked up to shore power/ charging through the converter. As was noted earlier the OEM stock converter is not the best and you will loose some water over time
    2- With a two 12v batteries set up in parallel- make sure you are connected as shown in the diagram. Our dealer did not connect this way our first yr we had our rig and had connected both pos and neg leads off of one battery rather than as shown. This caused premature battery failure of one of the batteries.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5443802-538C-47D9-8C36-50AE244BED63.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	20159
    I don't think my batteries are hooked up in parallel, it looks like one battery is hooked to the inverter and one to the rest of the rig.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA