User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMH about this total A/C package that fails every freaking day since we hit 90 degees

We just bought a 2018 GD 375 RES from a young ex-military. We actually paid him over $1700 extra.....for his service and the fact he had a rare blood cancer and has a 6 month old baby boy. I have a helluva problem with this thing....it cannot keep us cool. I am sitting in hell as I type this it's so f'ing hot

My wife did 2 years of research identifying what we should invest in as new fulltime RV'ers(we made it our goal upon retirement over 20 tears ago). According to my wife, Grand Design seemed to hit a Grand Slam. 6 weeks later we have it hotter inside than outside except in the bedroom. I'm talking 89 degrees inside the main living area. F'ing really?

I watched a video of the 375RES GD construction on YouTube over a year ago. It was impressive. It was a GD lie. Supposedly this fantastic insulation package that could keep ice cold and coffee hot was installed. Riigghhhhttttt. This POS is a farce. GD lies like a cheap f'ing rug.

Thank the Lord I just purchased an extended warranty from Wholesale Warranties. I was speaking with the RV site manager today where we're now staying. His guess is the duct isn't installed with any integrity and isn't performing as it should IF IT WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY AT ALL in the first place. He insisted that each seam have metallic tape reapplied. Nice....IF you could access it.

You know what really sucks? In reading the manuals provided upon purchase, I rarely find what I'm looking for on the page referenced. I wrote better manuals for the military explaining procedures and I referenced the correct pages.

Honestly...GD has screwed, blued and tattooed our ****** with shoddy work. Yep...shoddy work that was passed on to my wife and I to "handle".

I read this crap about how good a product GD is. Sure....there is decent(nothing more or less) in finish work. But the "guts" of the finished product is a travesty. Unless this is resolved (I'm not stupid enough to think GD will lift a finger, nor will they acknowledge their screw up.), I will trade this piece of crap SOON.

Bottom line...Grand Design is no different than the worst RV manufacturer. Worse...they have zero integrity while espousing there Customer Service(ROTGDFLMFAO).

John Guy
    Address: Whereever this POS is parked.
    904/962-7427

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you want help trying to fix it? Or are you here to complain? If you want help, please list the model number for your AC and we can provide simple instructions on how to resolve the issue.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 2nd A/C for our 290Bh. After learning a bunch though A/C research I took the inside grill of the original unit in the main area. There is a divider in there to keep the "in coming" air separate from the "out going" air. Mine was out of wack so the air was mixing, not good. So I adjusted it to where it should be & I HVAC taped everything in there to keep em separated. Mine is a Coleman 15000btu, on that unit & I think most others if you get 20 degrees cooler air outgoing than intake air, you are doing good. After I sealed it all up, I get 27 degrees difference. That is probably what the manager guy is refering too. Before the fix, ours took 5 hours to cool down to 72 or so from 95. If you ask me, every camper should come with 50 amp & 2 a/c units, camping is a warm weather "sport" if you ask me. I work in the heat all day, when I'm camping...I can't be too cool!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBob View Post
    I just bought a 2nd A/C for our 290Bh. After learning a bunch though A/C research I took the inside grill of the original unit in the main area. There is a divider in there to keep the "in coming" air separate from the "out going" air. Mine was out of wack so the air was mixing, not good. So I adjusted it to where it should be & I HVAC taped everything in there to keep em separated. Mine is a Coleman 15000btu, on that unit & I think most others if you get 20 degrees cooler air outgoing than intake air, you are doing good. After I sealed it all up, I get 27 degrees difference. That is probably what the manager guy is refering too. Before the fix, ours took 5 hours to cool down to 72 or so from 95. If you ask me, every camper should come with 50 amp & 2 a/c units, camping is a warm weather "sport" if you ask me. I work in the heat all day, when I'm camping...I can't be too cool!
    This was a very common problem a year or two ago, it's been discussed a lot. I would be willing to bet this is the issue of the OP's AC unit. All 3 of my ACs had the divider allowing air flow where it didn't belong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one problem you may be having is that you bought a used unit, and are blaming all the problems you are having on the manufacturer.

Maybe the nice young military man has wrecked things and you don't know it. Wouldn't be the first time someone told a story to sell something.

Not sure where things are going wrong for you, but feel free to trade it in, and keep us informed at how you make out with your new unit. I would love to hear about what you get and how it performs, if you think a Solitude is a POS.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Your only complaint I can see is the A/C isn't working correctly, so you condemn the whole rig as a POS. I have a question. Did you run the A/C and let it run for a bit to check its operation before you bought it? You do know that no RV will keep you warm or cool without a source of heat or cooling, right?

If your whole Solitude is a POS, maybe something from Thor or Forest River would be of interest...……If you're buying used be sure to check whose warranty transfers to a second owner.

Now, if you were to ask for some of the expert help from the members of this forum and provide details they may have you cool with little effort. Worth a shot.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is wow! It must be an issue with your particular ac unit, not the whole trailer or company. My 375 has 2 Coleman Mach units and I can hang meat in it on a hot Texas day. You should give more info and ask for help...f-bombs get you nowhere
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff