User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaks, Leaks and more Leaks.

Bought a Reflection 31MB and after a first camp trip to see what we forgot for a major trip to Fort Wilderness I noticed water coming from above the low point drains. I dropped one side of the under skin and there was a pool of water. I opened the basement and no water so I pulled off the backer to access the area behind the panel and just about every hot water line tee or elbow is leaking. Not what I was expecting from something of higher "quality". Since I leave on Tuesday to make the 1900 mile drive I'm on my own at this point to fix it. None of the PEX connection points are leaking only the flexible soft tube points. I'm thinking of just cutting all of that flex out and going straight PEX and brass fittings. Anyone experience this and is there an easier way to fix?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some guys will be along to help you with more info, but my understanding is that the clamps and fittings used on the soft tube hoses aren’t really compatible. If you’ve got the time to do it, all-PEX is probably the best way to go.

Welcome to the forum. We’ll help get you right.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very common with the flexible stuff because they use pex fittings with that hose. That hose ID is slightly larger than pex ID. Hot water usually leaks first. Many of us have ripped the flexible stuff out and replaced with pex. One thing I recommend is to use a one handed pex crimping tool. I didn't have one and it was difficult for some of the connections. You will need 1/2" pex, clamps and fittings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both! I noticed every flex line is loose, as in, I can twist every one easily by hand. I was really worried about all the wires underneath and their connections. I checked them and they are all water tight connections. Glad to know this is a normal issue, annoying, but normal. The store is going to love me tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion on the crimp tool not much room under there for any large tools. And the wire net you get stuck in trying to get to the connections.
    Last edited by Lestatsghost; 05-18-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatsghost View Post
    Anyone experience this and is there an easier way to fix?
    Hi Lestatsghost,

This is a much discussed problem that the RV industry fails to acknowledge. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...105#post134105 The only permanent fix is to replace the soft hose with Pex tubing to match the fittings used.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice writeup on it. Would have been nice if Google found it for me. Of course then I probably wouldn't have joined because I got my answer . Very much appreciated I may have to pick up some of those barbed fittings too while I'm shopping.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatsghost View Post
    Nice writeup on it. Would have been nice if Google found it for me. Of course then I probably wouldn't have joined because I got my answer . Very much appreciated I may have to pick up some of those barbed fittings too while I'm shopping.
    Search this forum on “burst hose” (search tool in upper right corner). There are several related threads. This is just one. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nnection/page2

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a line that didn't leak, the one out of the water heater. Well while I'm in there in multiple fun positions I guess the line shall be made of PEX. Don't want to split that one.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had issues with the soft hose in our momentum. There is a thread on here from almost a year ago. I went through and ripped out all the soft hose and replaced it with Pex. Also removed the convoluted nautilus panel. The job wasn't as bad as I thought (one day) it would be and I'm not a plumber, just a half ****** that isn't afraid to do things. Haven't had any leaks over the year and no regrets getting rid of that soft hose.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN