User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dump Valves wont open

Bought a 2019 Reflection 287RLTS trailer a few weeks ago. Yesterday I was sanitizing the fresh water tank in preparation for the first camping trip. When I was done I went to dump the tanks, which had nothing but water in them. The bathroom tank was fine (it's valve is in the water control station), but I could not open the galley tank, which is underneath the trailer. Since the black tank valve is next to it, I tried to open it and it was frozen (not from cold, obviously) as well. Neither would open, pulled on them as hard as I could without pulling so hard that the plastic handle would break or the L- brackets would bend. Sprayed WD-40 on the rods a couple of times last night, let it sit overnight, and still no movement at all.

Odd that neither would work. Don't know what else to do except haul it down to the dealer. Anyone else had issues out of the box with dump valves?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dump Valves.JPG  

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with penetrating oil, try a slight twisting motion to see if you can break the rod just behind the handle, free from its guide.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Along with penetrating oil, try a slight twisting motion to see if you can break the rod just behind the handle, free from its guide.

Rob
    Thanks. Tried that, the plastic handle just spins without the rod moving at all. I even put a pair of slip joint pliers on the rod just outside the housing where it comes out and tried to rotate it slightly. Won't budge.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know this sounds silly, but just in case.... Is there any chance the valves are already pulled out?

Jim

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    Thanks. Tried that, the plastic handle just spins without the rod moving at all. I even put a pair of slip joint pliers on the rod just outside the housing where it comes out and tried to rotate it slightly. Won't budge.
    This all that I can think of too!! Mine were stuck and a twist with a pair of vice grips and all was good. Put some grease on them before I pushed them in again. Sorry can't help if the twist with vice grips doesn't work.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some more discussion on how someone else solved this problem. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...923#post232923

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I know this sounds silly, but just in case.... Is there any chance the valves are already pulled out?

Jim
    Nope. The gray tank is about one third full with water.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    This all that I can think of too!! Mine were stuck and a twist with a pair of vice grips and all was good. Put some grease on them before I pushed them in again. Sorry can't help if the twist with vice grips doesn't work.

Rob
    Yea, I can see how it is supposed to work as the other gray tank that is in the Nautilus panel pulls out and will rotate CW and CCW as well. On the other two, no pull out and no rotation at all, even with persuasion. I don't want to be too forceful with it since it is new and still under warranty. If it breaks from being too forceful, I'd rather let the dealer service folks break it.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Dave
    Last edited by hartcentr; 05-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    Yea, I can see how it is supposed to work as the other gray tank that is in the Nautilus panel pulls out and will rotate CW and CCW as well. On the other two, no pull out and no rotation at all, even with persuasion. I don't want to be too forceful with it since it is new and still under warranty. If it breaks from being too forceful, I'd rather let the dealer service folks break it.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

If you can warm the cable housing behind the pull handle (hair dryer?) this would help to draw in the penetrating lubricant. I would try something designed to free seized fasteners. WD40 is really not the ideal thing for this. If you don't have anything else, try engine oil drops from the dipstick.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Dave,

If you can warm the cable housing behind the pull handle (hair dryer?) this would help to draw in the penetrating lubricant. I would try something designed to free seized fasteners. WD40 is really not the ideal thing for this. If you don't have anything else, try engine oil drops from the dipstick.

Rob
    Rob

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the blow dryer to no avail. I took it to the dealer today and they will be replacing both cables. The guy thought it could be due to galvanic corrosion or something between the materials. Makes me wonder why all of the cables are not routed out of the weather, like the one that is the Nautilus panel. If one is there, why not all three?

Thanks again

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast