User Tag List

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for new taillights

Looks like a good time to replace the taillights with LED's. Upon doing the light check before leaving the other day, one side had no turn signal or brake light. Thinking it was the bulb, I went to change it and it flickered on and off. Changed the bulb and the new one did the same thing. Looks like the contact in the socket may have melted down into the plastic a little and not making good contact with the bulb. Put some dielectric grease on it and hoped for the best. Made it to the campground with it still working, but it went out again as we were parking in the site. I had to play with it some more before we left to come home and hope for the best again. I didn't bother to check it when we got home. Just ordered new LED's to replace the factory ones.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,

Having a problem with tail lights on 2019 337 Reflection. Using standard socket on 2010 Ford F 250 super duty.

Of note, trailer taillights have same problem on two separate trucks, mine included.

Here's the problem.

Turn on the headlights and trailer taillights work OK. While leaving the headlights on, turn on the blinkers or flashers and the flashers/blinkers are extremely faint. If you are more than six inches from the taillight, you cannot even see the flashers/blinkers light up. If you then turn off the headlights the blinkers become visible.

The bulbs in the taillights are standard 57 bulbs, not LED.

On delivery of the trailer, dealer made a quick repair to get the taillights working. Not sure what they did.

Should the taillights be LED? Are they wired special for LED and therefore the standard 57 bulbs won't work?

Thanks,

Bob

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar problem with my 2017 F-250, 2018 Reflection 337RLS

Truck headlights off - trailer turn and stop work without issue. With truck headlights on, which we prefer day or night, and the truck throws an error message (will amend message with photo later) on turn signal or braking action.

Stock incandescent bulbs. Ideas anyone?

2017 F-250 Lariat
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    -Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless Camera
    -Garmin RV 770

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes external lighting problems can be a nightmare to trouble shoot. Just my thoughts, most times I think high circuit resistance / bad wiring /sockets is a lot of the cause. On the trailer 7 way plug, corroded, tarnished or loose fitting connectors inside the trailer cord or truck receptacle, on the trailer cord - pin 3 running lights or pin 5 Left Turn/Stop, pin 6 Right Turn/Stop, or something common to both circuits like pin 1 ground back to truck. I would start here, if you have a piece of fine sand paper. old fashioned points file, pocket knife etc, clean the pins in the trailer and truck 7 way plug. Caution pin 4 of the trailer plug will always have power, it comes from the RV battery. Our truck is a 2018, trailer 2019 and I got a brake disconnect error message on our truck, I cleaned the contacts on the 7 way plug and the error went away.

Rusted light sockets, loose fitting bulbs or bulb contacts in the trailer light sockets can be the problem, or the ground wiring side of the socket is bad.

I don't think the trailer wiring is any different between LED light assemblies or using an LED / incandescent 57 type bulb assemblies. Its a lot better to install an LED type tail light/turn signal assembly and ditch the old bulb socket wither it uses an incandescent or LED 57 type bulb.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-11-2022 at 08:44 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your quick reply, believe it or not, it is at least encouraging to know this 'can' be fixed. Just a matter of persistence and a scientific method of troubleshooting. Will post here when resolved or new information available for future owners with similar issues.

2017 F-250 Lariat
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    -Garmin RV 770

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleboom View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply, believe it or not, it is at least encouraging to know this 'can' be fixed. Just a matter of persistence and a scientific method of troubleshooting. Will post here when resolved or new information available for future owners with similar issues.
    Had a similar problem with my previous trailer. I decided that running wires 30 feet (+/-) to the tail lights wasn't a good idea for Incandescent bulbs (just not enough electrons getting to the end of the wire to light up the bulbs). I replaced the tail lights with the big Bargman double LED stop/tail lights (see link below). This fixed all my issues and these lights are bright, day or night !!!!

I liked the lights so much I replaced the OEM lights on my current Solitude.

Here are the lights I chose: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...MaAraJEALw_wcB

PS: Replacing the lights fixed all my issues on the old trailer without having to run any new wires from the tongue.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tail and Turn Signal T-Shoot, Plan A

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    PS: Replacing the lights fixed all my issues on the old trailer without having to run any new wires from the tongue.
    That is definitely not happening here. Going to proceed as follows..
    1. Verify that I have the correct, 57 bulbs in the Tail lights. The tail lights and turn signals are the only error that I am getting in the Super Duty.
    2. As long as I am changing/inspecting bulbs, may as well check for socket corrosion and address (clean/replace).
    3. Verify the voltage at the socket - to see if there is/is not a drop with digital multimeter.

Will post results here for future use.

2017 F-250 Lariat
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    -Garmin RV 770