User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Question Looking for advice on route from Morgan Hill North to Russian River in California

Looking for advice on route from Morgan Hill North to Russian River in California.

Waze, Google Maps and my Sygic all say 101 to 880 to 580 then use the Richmond Toll bridge then back onto 101.
    I Googled the toll and best I can tell it is the Richmond Toll is $6 and they only take cash. Is that right?
    Can any of you locals tell me a better route or the best time of the day to hit that bridge?
    It looks like Semis are allowed so I'm sure our tiny Reflection won't have any issues.

Man I hate driving over long tall bridges.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 05-19-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the best route. I think the toll will be more than $6 with 4 axles though. $6 is for cars. We use Fastrak transponder to pay the toll on that bridge so I don't really know the amount. As far as I know it's cash or Fastrak. Never tried to use a card. Best time to cross the bridge is probably between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. After that 101 can get backed up where it narrows down north of San Rafael. There are steel plates on the roadway on the bridge due to repairs in progress and people tend to slow down going over them so watch for stopped or slow traffic. We used to live just north of Morgan Hill. Now where I live I can see the Russian River.
    Last edited by J&G garage; 05-20-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say where, on the Russian River, that you're headed? However, either end of the Russian River, you've laid out the best route. Traffic is going to be heavy all the way through the bay area pretty much from Morgan Hill all the way across the Richmond/San Rafel Bridge and up Hwy. 101.

Being a local from Nor Cal and having drove all of that area for many, many years, I'd leave Morgan Hill about 8:30 a.m. so that by the time you hit San Jose a half hour later the major commute traffice is already over. It'll be 3 - 3 1/2 hr. drive for you.

I've been following you since before you picked up your rig at McClain's and this will be the biggest bridge that you've crossed. However, the lanes are wide enough and it's three lanes (two drive lanes and a break down lane)......easy drive once you get through the toll booth.

You want to get through Santa Rosa before about 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. That area through SR will be your biggest bottle neck. It was a two lane highway all the way through town. They've been working on it for about the past five years widening sections of it at a time. They should be done widening it by now.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 05-20-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember it correctly, the bridge is $6 for cars and then $6 per additional axle. It's a wide bridge and you won't have any issues.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highway 101 through Santa Rosa is 3 lanes but at 3:00 pm one of them becomes a commuter lane (no trailers allowed in HOV lane). Lots of on/off ramps. Take the center lane through Santa Rosa but get back in the right lane by the time you get to Bicentennial exit so you can make the River Rd exit if that's where you're going. Most of the widening is happening between Novato and Petaluma.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMB, just as a side note, and not to confuse you, but watch out and do not follow the #580 / #238 East Highway direction which is located more South in the San Leandro / San Lorenzo region. Just stay on #880 there. Otherwise, it's a cluster to get back on track. The previous forum responses are correct (local guys know!) but unfortunately, this is some of the more busy traffic region in the state. Your directions are spot on and always look for Northerly directions, which will be Richmond and the toll plaza, and also important, San Rafael! This is the link to getting over the water. In this area, there is a mix of #80 , #580 , #880 and finally #101 . Do not follow to the West to San Francisco. I drove that road 6 months ago with a 6' x 10' flatbed cargo trailer, so I am experienced You will be fine and good luck. You have seen some of the beauty of this state and rural regions..............then there is this!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looking for advice on route from Morgan Hill North to Russian River in California

Awesome feedback fellas, much appreciated!

Someone told us they don’t accept credit cards.
    Question is do we have to pay with quarters? One dollar bills? Is there a machine? An attendant?
    We’re obviously not getting the Fastrak since we won’t be coming back to California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 05-20-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've driven the route a few times and it's actually a pretty easy dive.

The toll is $21 and fastback is fine; they check with camera and adjust the amount.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s an attendant. If you don’t have the money they make you wash big rigs until you’re flush. 😂

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I've driven the route a few times and it's actually a pretty easy dive.

The toll is $21 and fastback is fine; they check with camera and adjust the amount.
    Holy crap $21 ?

That’s nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast