Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skylight replacement?

I recently had an altercation with a tree, lost the fight and damaged the roof to the point that I’m having to replace it. I am having the RV Armor system installed instead of going back with an EPDM or rubber roof. We’re full-timers and have been in our rig and on the road now for almost 5 years. While I see no indication of a problem with the current skylight, I’m just wondering if I’d be smart to replace it now while I have the opportunity, even though I have never seen any mention of this being a big failure item. Am I overthinking this? Thoughts from the experts?!?!
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alan,

Interesting that you should mention this. We have a similar vintage Reflection where I recently replaced the roof vents. The originals have had vent covers since new. The vent covers were opaque and brittle from the sun exposure. They cracked and broke as I removed them. The skylight over our shower doesn’t look a lot different than those brittle vent covers. Since the skylight will have to be removed to replace the roof covering . . . I would replace it. I don’t think these domes are very expensive.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually don’t have to be removed for the RV Armor system install, though they will remove all the current sealant which would expose the screws and make changeout easy. I figured after 5 years of UV exposure it might be well worth it. Replacement domes for my rig are only about $75.

Good point on the vent covers......I’ll check those too. Thanks for the reply!

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan just FYI, mine cracked during roof work (a story for another time) and the knuckle-head that did it just put lap sealant on the crack. Looks terrible from inside. It is brittle and a bit yellow. So I would say replace it... same as mine.

Anyway, I'm replacing with this that I found on Amazon. It's the wrong sealant for my EPDM roof but wanted the screws and putty tape. Haven't got it yet but it is supposed to be tough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Alan just FYI, mine cracked during roof work (a story for another time) and the knuckle-head that did it just put lap sealant on the crack. Looks terrible from inside. It is brittle and a bit yellow. So I would say replace it... same as mine.

Anyway, I'm replacing with this that I found on Amazon. It's the wrong sealant for my EPDM roof but wanted the screws and putty tape. Haven't got it yet but it is supposed to be tough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks, Jim. Yes....I’d like to get a little heavier piece of plastic than what they install as stock. This RV Armor system they’re installing is like a rhino lining and they’ll put it on over the EPDM after patching the damage area. The new skylight would be sealed in using their sealant.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan, Just FYI.... My EPDM roof was defective. Dicor had a bad run of the material in mid to late 2014. It turned to putty. Please be sure the RV Armor people check it thoroughly to confirm it will stick. No way it would have stuck to mine. Good luck with it!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Thanks, Jim. Yes....I’d like to get a little heavier piece of plastic than what they install as stock. This RV Armor system they’re installing is like a rhino lining and they’ll put it on over the EPDM after patching the damage area. The new skylight would be sealed in using their sealant.

Alan

So the Roof Armor is applied over the EDPM roof?? I always thought they were removed first. What if the adhesive on the original roof fails? Would that affect the new roof?
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

Just curious how expensive is that Roof Armor?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Alan,

Just curious how expensive is that Roof Armor?
    It is $140 per foot and takes 3 rain free days to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    So the Roof Armor is applied over the EDPM roof?? I always thought they were removed first. What if the adhesive on the original roof fails? Would that affect the new roof?
    Yes, though it can be applied just on the wood sheathing as well. The tech will inspect the roof, patch any damaged areas, remove dicor/sealant from around vents, cap, etc. It is a 3 coat process and guaranteed for the life of the rig. I have a GD owner friend who had it done a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast