User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Steve,

This is a really curious situation! Circuit breakers respond to watts (volts x amps) This is why a "brown out" (reduced voltage) doesn't pop circuit breakers at higher than rated current. It doesn't make sense that you can pass 50 amps through a 30 amp breaker unless the voltage is way down.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I forgot to make a note of what the voltage was during our test today. I imagine it was like the other day, a drop from 122 to maybe 112 or so. The EMS shuts it down at 104 or lower.

The manager is calling the electrician on Tuesday, don’t know when they will respond. Soon I hope. She also is buying me a long 50 amp extension to plug into the site behind us. I carry a 30 amp extension, but it’s currently loaned to my neighbor, and I’m not sure it would reach anyway. I’m gonna measure the distance as soon as the guest behind me vacates. They’re packing up now.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't the EMS shut down? We were at a 30 amp site and it was Green Acres! My EMS shut down before the breaker on pedistal tripped....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Why didn't the EMS shut down? We were at a 30 amp site and it was Green Acres! My EMS shut down before the breaker on pedistal tripped....
    Hi Jim,

The EMS shuts down at low voltage of 104 or below, or high voltage, I think 132 or above (somewhere in that range). As far as amps I’m not sure if it shuts down at high amps, but my total amps were added up from both lines anyway. My trailer is a 50 amp trailer, and my EMS is a 50 amp EMS. It should allow 50 amps on each leg, and there are two legs in the EMS and the trailer. So theoretically it can handle 100 amps. The trailer individual circuit breaker would likely trip before reaching that.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see overload/overcurrent protection listed in the Features.

Features:

High/Low Voltage Protection: Whenever source power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV.
    Once the AC power source raises above 104 volts or below the 132 volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

Time Delay for Air Conditioner Compressor: Whenever power is interrupted by the source or the EMS due to a fault condition, the built in time delay is activated.
    There are two settings on the EMS. One is 136 seconds, and the other is 15 seconds.
    Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built into it. If so use the 15 second delay if not use the 136 second delay.

Five mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, L-L, and N-G. Total joule rating is 3640, response time of <1 nano second.
    Surge Indicator: In the unlikely event a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS (L-N, or L-G) the digital display error code will read E-10.
    This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.

Reverse Polarity Protection: If source power has reverse polarity the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.

Open Neutral Protection: If the source has an open neutral the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.

Open Ground Protection: If source power has an open ground the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E2.

AC Frequency Protection: If the source power frequency deviates + or - 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut power down and the error code will read E7 or E8.

Accidental 220V Protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the EMS will not be hurt. If this
    condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. In either case the display will read the voltage and E3 or E5 will be displayed depending on the error.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Hi Jim,

The EMS shuts down at low voltage of 104 or below, or high voltage, I think 132 or above (somewhere in that range). As far as amps I’m not sure if it shuts down at high amps, but my total amps were added up from both lines anyway. My trailer is a 50 amp trailer, and my EMS is a 50 amp EMS. It should allow 50 amps on each leg, and there are two legs in the EMS and the trailer. So theoretically it can handle 100 amps. The trailer individual circuit breaker would likely trip before reaching that.
    Hi Steve,

It will not hit 100 amps it is 50 amps max between both legs. I would need to check the trailer but unless I am mistaken each leg is only rated for 25 Amps, maybe 30 Amps max. If this is not correct please someone correct me.

Read through the post and it is a very good thing that they are getting a licensed electrician out because something is very wrong here and potentially extremely dangerous. If the CB shuts off power to the trailer but does not trip over 30 amps then it is defective even if it is the second one. If it was wired incorrectly then it wouldn't shut off power to the trailer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Hi Steve,

It will not hit 100 amps it is 50 amps max between both legs. I would need to check the trailer but unless I am mistaken each leg is only rated for 25 Amps, maybe 30 Amps max. If this is not correct please someone correct me.

Read through the post and it is a very good thing that they are getting a licensed electrician out because something is very wrong here and potentially extremely dangerous. If the CB shuts off power to the trailer but does not trip over 30 amps then it is defective even if it is the second one. If it was wired incorrectly then it wouldn't shut off power to the trailer.

Rob
    I agree with the CB logic you stated. I’ll be interested to see if anyone chimes in regarding how many amps can pass through each of the two legs. (Separate issue though with regards to my current issue)
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Rob
    I do not believe that this is correct. A "50A" supply can supply up to 100A total, 50A in each leg.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Rob,
    There are two 120vAC lines each capable of supplying no more than 50 amps on a single circuit (but potentially a total of 100 amps) on a "50A" travel trailer. That's why there are two separate 50A circuit breakers on the c/b panel in the trailer.

-Howard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb panel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	20306
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Rob,
    There are two 120vAC lines each capable of supplying no more than 50 amps on a single circuit (but potentially a total of 100 amps) on a "50A" travel trailer. That's why there are two separate 50A circuit breakers on the c/b panel in the trailer.

-Howard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb panel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	20306
    Thanks both Howard and acadiaforever for correcting me. I appreciate it. Learn something new here just about everyday.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you do a quick test? Where the wire comes out of the breaker at the pedestal, put the clamp meter there and note the amps (with all your loads). Then put the clamp on the neutral and measure the amps and report back please.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast