User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Camping World REFUSES to take down the American Flag

Despite a longstanding battle with city officials and massive fines, the owners of Camping World in Statesville, N.C. are refusing to remove or downsize a massive American flag that flies on their property.

“Camping World posted a message to its Facebook page on Saturday saying the city has filed an injunction against Camping World, fining the company $50 per day going back to Oct. 15, 2018. That totals nearly $11,000,” according to WSOC-TV.
    The company’s Facebook post had a message to city officials, too.

“This is about more than just the flag. This is about our Veterans, Military, and the men and women that have sacrificed for this great country. They are the reason we fly the flag and they are the reason we will NOT take it down!” it said.

Trending: Canada Moves to Ban Christians From Demonstrating in Public Under New Anti-Hate Proposal

A petition is circulating on Change.Org to allow the company to fly 40 by 80 foot flag, which stands outside its Gander RV location and can be seen readily from I-77. The petition has more than 105,000 signatures.

The city filed a lawsuit against the company telling them that any flag 100 feet from a highway can be no larger than 25 by 40 feet. The company’s CEO does not care about the regulation – or the fines.

“I don’t care if [the fine] goes to $500 a day. It’s not coming down,” Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World and Gander RV reportedly said.

WSOC reported that the issue is “personal” to Lemonis.

My family has been car dealers, had been car dealers since the 1960s, and our key trademark was always flying our flag in our dealership in south Florida,” he reportedly said. “My family is largely immigrants of the country.”

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/rv-dealer-wont-stop-flying-massive-american-flag-despite-city-fines/
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm not a fan of Camping World, I'm glad they're not backing down. Since when is it a problem to fly the American flag?? Last time I checked NC was still part of the United States.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of Camping World, I'm glad they're not backing down. Since when is it a problem to fly the American flag?? Last time I checked NC was still part of the United States.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Doesn't sound like it is a problem at all with flying the American flag. It is a problem with a commercial enterprise using a giant flag as an "attractor" to bring in business. Same as regulating the size/location of signs, billboards, etc. He clearly states it is a branding strategy. If it was a gigantic orange and purple (or some other form of ugly) "Camping World" flag, almost everyone would demand it be reduced in size. But wrap it in Patriotism.....

I'll try to observe whether my local Gander takes their giant flag down in inclement weather....or at night (if it's not illuminated). That will tell the tale about whether his use is to commercialize it, or if he is serious about honoring what it represents......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems the city has a belief that a flag that large is an issue when flown within 100 feet of the highway. Probably a safety issue. Why can't Lemonis just down size his flag to come into compliance with the law. Nothing patriotic about lawlessness.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing - watched Gander Outdoors in Flint, Michigan to see if they took down the flag a night, had it illuminated, etc., and they did.

The store manager is a Vietnam vet, which explained it.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Doesn't sound like it is a problem at all with flying the American flag. It is a problem with a commercial enterprise using a giant flag as an "attractor" to bring in business. Same as regulating the size/location of signs, billboards, etc. He clearly states it is a branding strategy. If it was a gigantic orange and purple (or some other form of ugly) "Camping World" flag, almost everyone would demand it be reduced in size. But wrap it in Patriotism.....

I'll try to observe whether my local Gander takes their giant flag down in inclement weather....or at night (if it's not illuminated). That will tell the tale about whether his use is to commercialize it, or if he is serious about honoring what it represents......
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, Snopes.com has a discussion of the background on this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...camping-world/
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post

Very interesting background to the story. Worth the read.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I'll try to observe whether my local Gander takes their giant flag down in inclement weather....o
    As long as the flag is designed to handle the weather, it's okay to fly it during inclement weather. Most flags sold today are nylon and will handle the weather conditions quite well. The old cotton flags would get torn up quick in wet weather. Here's a quote from the U.S. Flag Code:

"The United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, "The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is displayed."

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a fan of snopes.

If you research who runs it, you'll find it's a notorious progressive group. Here is the background: Chief among the Progressive stalwarts at Snopes is “main political fact-checker,” Kim Lacapria, according to the Daily Caller. Ironically, or not, prior to her position as political fact-checker for Snopes, Lacapria was wrote for the Inquisitr, a blog with less than stellar reputation.Today, Snopes has turned into a sycophantic political surrogate for the Progressive Left, the Obama Administration, and Hillary Clinton. Fancying itself as a “political fact-checker,” it has become completely unreliable, existing as an excuse making machine for the morally relativistic and a propaganda apparatus fueled by unfounded accusations and political talking points; talking points seemingly crafted and issued directly from the Progressive minions of Chicago.

Here is my prime example of this bias:

"The petition was boosted on Twitter by Marcus Lemonis, the controversial CEO of Camping World, who wrote: “I will not budge … I will not compromise … I will not take the flag down”"

Why is he "controversial"? For a "fair" fact-checking site, that seems like a very biased, opinionated statement about the corporate owner.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post

Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please remember that political posts are not allowed per the forum rules.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast