User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

half ton upgrades - XL tires?

There have been a few threads about changing from P series tires to LTs to get a stiffer sidewall, with a ride penalty when not towing, but has anyone gone from P to XLs? These are load rating 117 where the P series are 113. This equates to a 2800lb load rating at 45-50psi vs about a 2300-2500lb for the P series at 44psi max, or less.

If you did make the change, how do you like the XLs on your half-ton pickup?

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F150ecoboost.net those guys are VERY knowledgeable and helpful. There are sections dedicated to tires, towing, suspension, etc.
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, CrewCab, 5.3L, 2wd.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have E rated Michelin Defenders on our 2018 F150 and really like them. They ride a little rougher than the P rated tires but tow great. We run 40psi not towing and 55psi towing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies folks. @riven1950 what are you towing with it? (you might want to consider adding a signature to your posts)
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference . . . my 2014 HDPP F150 came with LT245/75R17E tires. Label spec is 60psi rear and 55 psi front. I usually tow at 5 to 10 psi higher than this. These are 80 psi E spec light truck tires. I also have airbags that I run at 30 psi when towing to stabilize the ride. At this pressure, they lift the rear of the truck less than 1".

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are towing a 2019 Imagine 2500RL with WDH

Thanks for the signature suggestion , I think I did that
    2018 F150 Eco 4x4 XLT CC Max Tow Package
    Michelin Defender tires
    2019 GD Imagine 2500RL WDH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    We have E rated Michelin Defenders on our 2018 F150 and really like them. They ride a little rougher than the P rated tires but tow great. We run 40psi not towing and 55psi towing.
    I switched out my P tires that came stock on my 2015 F150 with Michelin Defender LTX tires to help with towing. I could not find a recommended inflation chart anywhere on the internet for these tires so I called Michelin and got a tech that works with these tires. He said that they don't publish the chart anymore because people were not using it correctly and running the tires underinflated. He took my VIN for the truck and the information on my trailer, trailer weight loaded, and tongue weight and recommended 55PSI when the truck is empty and when towing 80PSI for the rear and 65PSI for the front. He also said never to run these tires with less than 55PSI.

I was wondering where you got the information for 40PSI empty and 55PSI when towing? I know running 55PSI empty makes for a little rougher ride and being able to run 40PSI would make the ride a lot better.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

understand your confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    I switched out my P tires that came stock on my 2015 F150 with Michelin Defender LTX tires to help with towing. I could not find a recommended inflation chart anywhere on the internet for these tires so I called Michelin and got a tech that works with these tires. He said that they don't publish the chart anymore because people were not using it correctly and running the tires underinflated. He took my VIN for the truck and the information on my trailer, trailer weight loaded, and tongue weight and recommended 55PSI when the truck is empty and when towing 80PSI for the rear and 65PSI for the front. He also said never to run these tires with less than 55PSI.

I was wondering where you got the information for 40PSI empty and 55PSI when towing? I know running 55PSI empty makes for a little rougher ride and being able to run 40PSI would make the ride a lot better.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Dale,
    It has been about 18 months since I put the LTX tires on so my memory is a little fuzzy. I originally put them on the 2013 ECO and switched them to the 2018 when I bought it.

The interesting thing is that, as I remember it, I also called Michelin and got my info from them. Best I remember it they asked for the the max load rating on the stock tires and maybe the rear axles, I do remember the tires. Anyway, The answer was that @55 PSI the LTX would be capable of the max on the stock tires, which means more PSI is not doing any good because you would be airing up for a load that you should not carry anyway . They told me running 35-40 PSI empty would be no different than the same PSI with the P tires. I would agree to never run less than 55PSI WHEN Towing or carrying a load, maybe that is what the guy at Michelin meant. Why would you need 80PSI in the rear? That would be a pressure you would run with a F350 towing a 12,000 lb fifth wheel. Makes no sense to me. I would call Michelin back and see what answer you get. Sounds like someone is giving a very conservative answer.

All I know is I now have about 35,000 miles on the tires. They tow great @55PSI and the tread wear is excellent. We have towed over 5000 miles with 2 different TT and never a problem with sway or tire wiggle.

You might want to check the rv.net site or other sites out. I know there has been a lot of discussion on that site and it seems to back up what I was told.

Good luck
    Last edited by riven1950; 06-11-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    Michelin Defender tires

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    Dale,
    It has been about 18 months since I put the LTX tires on so my memory is a little fuzzy. I originally put them on the 2013 ECO and switched them to the 2018 when I bought it.

The interesting thing is that, as I remember it, I also called Michelin and got my info from them. Best I remember it they asked for the the max load rating on the stock tires and maybe the rear axles, I do remember the tires. Anyway, The answer was that @55 PSI the LTX would be capable of the max on the stock tires, which means more PSI is not doing any good because you would be airing up for a load that you should not carry anyway . They told me running 35-40 PSI empty would be no different than the same PSI with the P tires. I would agree to never run less than 55PSI WHEN Towing or carrying a load, maybe that is what the guy at Michelin meant. Why would you need 80PSI in the rear? That would be a pressure you would run with a F350 towing a 12,000 lb fifth wheel. Makes no sense to me. I would call Michelin back and see what answer you get. Sounds like someone is giving a very conservative answer.

All I know is I now have about 35,000 miles on the tires. They tow great @55PSI and the tread wear is excellent. We have towed over 5000 miles with 2 different TT and never a problem with sway or tire wiggle.

You might want to check the rv.net site or other sites out. I know there has been a lot of discussion on that site and it seems to back up what I was told.

Good luck
    I will call them back in the morning and see what they say. I appreciate the information. I know 40PSI when empty and 55 to 60PSI towing would make the ride a lot better, as long as it doesn't soften the sides too much and I start to get trailer sway. What is your tongue weight and camper weight?

Dale
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is a 2500rl, GVWR is 7495, listed tongue weight is 581lbs.

Have not weighed this TT but I am thinking our weight is around 7000lbs. tongue weight is likely 800-850lbs
    Michelin Defender tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast