Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend RVers - Keeping Water In Tank?

Hello everyone,

I haven’t made our formal introduction post yet, but I had a quick question about what to do with our water tank in between trips. We recently purchased our 2400BH and plan on taking it out roughly every other weekend. Some will be dry camping spots, some will be RV parks. So far, we have mostly been using the water for everything but drinking (we just prefer to bring gallon jugs of bottled). We have an upcoming trip in June to a remote campground with no water, nor any water source on the way to the campground from our storage lot. No biggie, but what I’m wondering is if there’s any issue with, let’s say, filling 1/4-1/3 of our water tank when we leave the RV park we’re staying at for this holiday weekend, then putting back in storage, and taking back out two weeks later so that we have just enough water for the toilet and washing hands or dishes. Do I need to worry about bacteria and algae in that amount of time if we’re not drinking it? How do you guys do it when you boondock? Thanks in advance!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is plenty of water left in the lines between camping trips for most. I think you would be fine to leave water in the tank, as long as it is good water. I have done it before with no problems but I use our home water. If the water is "stinky" that you fill with then it will be "stinkier" when you use it.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Brian! We’ll be careful about where we source the water if we plan on keeping it in there for a bit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to leave the water in it, I would recommend an additive such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Completely harmless, but keeps the smell/growth away if you don't want to use bleach.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally don't drink the water from the RV I use it to cook, flush and shower. It still can get a funky smell, so at least once a year I put a bleach solution and clean the fresh tank. I have attached the "Geo Method" by Charles Bruni. Good read.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Geo Method Full.pdf  
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave about 1/3 of fresh water in the tank. We are usually on city water, but have some for the times when water gets shut off or frozen. About once a quarter I dump what has not been used and put fresh in. I have had no issues with bad water.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have been overdoing it.......we have been bleaching our fresh water tank about once every 6 weeks. We also don’t really use it for anything other than washing dishes, showering, toilet, etc. I will rinse off my toothbrush with it and I haven’t died yet.

Question: do people drink the “city water” at rv parks? We have the blue hose-line filter, but still kind of reach for bottled water.....maybe that’s a waste? I’m fine with drinking it if everybody else does......
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    I think we have been overdoing it.......we have been bleaching our fresh water tank about once every 6 weeks. We also don’t really use it for anything other than washing dishes, showering, toilet, etc. I will rinse off my toothbrush with it and I haven’t died yet.

Question: do people drink the “city water” at rv parks? We have the blue hose-line filter, but still kind of reach for bottled water.....maybe that’s a waste? I’m fine with drinking it if everybody else does......
    You will get 50/50 answers on this one. The blue filters that you buy at RV stores or the one that comes stock in your trailer are really only designed to remove sediment so you are not getting much real value out of them. Some people build little RO setups for their rigs and other build in or make stand-alone multiple filter solutions to remove more and smaller particles and life forms. A number of folks carry Berkey filters and supposedly you could put one in a pond and drink from it.

The water at RV parks and state and national parks varies widely. We use multiple filters and my wife and I still only drink bottled water. YMMV.

I dump my fresh water tank if our next trip is more than 3-4 weeks out.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a rookie, so keep that in mind. However, my comments are based on trawler cruising. The freshwater tank on M/V SONATA is 300 gallons. Plain old city water, unfiltered, from the marina is used to fill. No other treatments are added. Using the water and refilling FW tanks on a regular basis is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only do I drain my fresh water after each trip, I drain my hot water tank as well. The hot tank can hold the smell of bad water
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast