User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it ok to leave disinfecting solution in the system for a couple of weeks?

I'm using Purogene, which is 2% chlorine dioxide. It's way easier than dump a ton of bleach into the system. You only need 20 fl oz of the Purogene for 60 gal. It's activated by citric acid - lemon juice.

http://www.3rodorcon.com/Purogene.pdf

I forgot to empty and winterize the system after our trip last summer. So I need to really disinfect the entire system. The instructions say to let the solution sit for about one hour and then dump it and flush.

Is there any harm in letting it stay longer, say for a week or more? We're leaving for our summer trip on June 6 and I'd rather let this solution kill as much bacteria as possible and dissolve the biofilm.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You probably should call the manufacturer. That might be bad....

Here's a very geeky link for scientific abstracts discussing it's use for sanitizing. Interesting that it is not allowed in Europe, due to the potential for forming more toxic by-products. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...lorine-dioxide

A ton of bleach???? For a 60 gallon tank, you only need about a cup, max. That works out to about 30 cents. For the Purogene, you need 20 oz, which is $23.42 (plus the lemon juice). And you still have to dump and flush both after letting it do it's thing.

For either, if there is any "biofilm" only the very top layer gets killed. Neither will dissolve anything. Unless you filled the tank with very nutrient rich water (from a swamp, or whatever), very unlikely you have any biofilm to worry about. Worst case, use a dilution of vinegar (with NO other additive), that will do some "dissolving" of any build up. Then flush thoroughly, and sanitize.
    Last edited by sande005; 05-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. The article does state that chlorine dioxide is at least at good a bactericide as bleach, and far superior a virucide. Since we're not using it for drinking water but merely flushing out the system, I feel it should be safe for our intended use. This is the solution that was recommended to us by RV Water Filter Store.

You're right about the quantity of bleach. It's 1/4 cup per 15 gal. I don't know why I read otherwise when I did a search.

I'm also going to change out the charcoal and particulate filters in our filter system.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    You probably should call the manufacturer. That might be bad....

Here's a very geeky link for scientific abstracts discussing it's use for sanitizing. Interesting that it is not allowed in Europe, due to the potential for forming more toxic by-products. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...lorine-dioxide

A ton of bleach???? For a 60 gallon tank, you only need about a cup, max. That works out to about 30 cents. For the Purogene, you need 20 oz, which is $23.42 (plus the lemon juice). And you still have to dump and flush both after letting it do it's thing.

For either, if there is any "biofilm" only the very top layer gets killed. Neither will dissolve anything. Unless you filled the tank with very nutrient rich water (from a swamp, or whatever), very unlikely you have any biofilm to worry about. Worst case, use a dilution of vinegar (with NO other additive), that will do some "dissolving" of any build up. Then flush thoroughly, and sanitize.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh