User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use a product called Amsoil

A friend of mine is trying to convince me to use Amsoil products in my TV. Does anybody on here have any experience with these products. This friend was a mechanic all his life and is a real gear head. He knows a lot about vehicles.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Amsoil Severe Gear in my front and rear differentials and transfer case. Don't use the motor oil though. Had good results so far with Castrol Syntec.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, an oil thread! What could possibly go wrong? I'm going to try to shortcut this whole thread.

If the oil meets the specifications required by the manufacturer it will work perfectly in your rig. There is no real advantage to one lubricant over another if they meet the same specs. End of story. Full stop.

Now let the other folks who just "know" their oil is better have the next billion posts....
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this is a Ford vs Chevy type topic. Lots of opinions with a few facts sprinkled in for good measure. You could spend the rest of your life online reading about what type of motor oil you should use. Good luck!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, an oil thread! What could possibly go wrong? I'm going to try to shortcut this whole thread.

If the oil meets the specifications required by the manufacturer it will work perfectly in your rig. There is no real advantage to one lubricant over another if they meet the same specs. End of story. Full stop.

Now let the other folks who just "know" their oil is better have the next billion posts....
    Here's a billion posts about oil and we don't even have to post them all here!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Do a search on Amsoil and prepare for a long read!

BTW, I have experience with their products and so far, so good. I've also used Redline, Mobile 1, Valvoline, Delo, Motul, dino oil, dino/synthetic blends, synthetics, pure ester based synthetics. The only difference I could tell was length of recommended change interval. Oh yeah, my FZ1 seemed to vibrate a little less with the Motul.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on...…..And it should be API certified.
    https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Here's a billion posts about oil and we don't even have to post them all here!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Do a search on Amsoil and prepare for a long read!

BTW, I have experience with their products and so far, so good. I've also used Redline, Mobile 1, Valvoline, Delo, Motul, dino oil, dino/synthetic blends, synthetics, pure ester based synthetics. The only difference I could tell was length of recommended change interval. Oh yeah, my FZ1 seemed to vibrate a little less with the Motul.
    Yup, over the years I was involved in the Porsche automotive and the franchised motorcycle dealership business. We tried all the products all the time, it was kind of a hobby in the industry until we all realized they worked basically the same regardless of label.

Some individual machines seem to get different results with different oils but I believe that to be anecdotal evidence and not applicable against the entire fleet. BTW, I also found Motul to be a little quieter in my Ducatis but I related that to the deafness caused by my open covered dry clutch.
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-24-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Amsoil in my diesel and gas engines. I use the Ford OE oil filter though. If you become a Preferred Customer with Amsoil for $20 a year, or know somebody who is, you save 25% off their retail rate. I just joined since I don’t have access to my friends account since he is moving.

I like the synthetic oils for all the reasons they specify on their websites, but I suspect that Amsoil is among the top 2 or 3. I still change the diesel at OE intervals instead of going with the extended drain intervals. I like the peace of mind.
    Last edited by Steve7; 05-24-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, over the years I was involved in the Porsche automotive and the franchised motorcycle dealership business. We tried all the products all the time, it was kind of a hobby in the industry until we all realized they worked basically the same regardless of label.

Some individual machines seem to get different results with different oils but I believe that to be anecdotal evidence and not applicable against the entire fleet. BTW, I also found Motul to be a little quieter in my Ducatis but I related that to the deafness caused by my open covered dry clutch.
    Thank's for all the responses so far. He claims all their products are specifically blended for different things such as trucks cars motorcycles lawn tractors towing and not towing etc. It is not just one product that works in everything. I need to do some research. I was wondering if the synthetics would help my engine and tranny run cooler.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thank's for all the responses so far. He claims all their products are specifically blended for different things such as trucks cars motorcycles lawn tractors towing and not towing etc. It is not just one product that works in everything. I need to do some research. I was wondering if the synthetics would help my engine and tranny run cooler.

They claim they do, and hold up better to high temps. Supposedly they use “Independent “ lab testing to back their claims. Go to their website if you haven’t and see what they offer and what they say their products can do. They’ve been around a long time in the Synthetic fields, I believe one of the first, if not the first.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast