User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sway Issues When Towing

I just purchased a Momentum 320G. It's the first 5th Wheel I've owned (i had a 30' trailer before). It has a sway to it when I go over 50 mph. I'm not sure what to do. I'm pulling it with a F350 short bed which has a GCWR of 26,500... so I'm under the weight limit. I have a Curt R20 5th Wheel Hitch.

The 5th Wheel tire pressure is good. Any suggestions on how to figured out why it sways so much?
    Last edited by CraigS; 05-24-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be loading it too heavy towards the rear, could be tire pressure, one of the brakes could be adjusted too tight and causing a wheel to drag. If you have a pyrometer, you should check all your hub temps, they should be very close to each other. There is also the possibility of some misalignment if the spring hangers weren't mounted properly (unlikely the cause, but its possible)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a good straight edge , or a really straight board , put it against the tires on the trailer and see if there is any difference between the front and rear tire , one sticking out further than the other. Do both sides and if you see a noticeable difference then the axels might be out of alignment.
    If you have the trailer loaded you may not have it loaded correctly , to much "stuff" in the front or rear.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestion... I'll give it a try!

As for packing it, it's sways when empty or loaded.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how to check the alignment. Should I take it to a tire-shop to have them confirm the alignment is okay and have them check the springs too?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do that. What you are looking for is a difference between the front tire and back tire. If you look down the tires at the sidewall and one sticks out further you may have a problem.
    Being as this is a new camper , take it to the dealer and take them for a ride and let them feel it.
    Something else that may cause this is the tire pressure on the tow vehicle, if it is too low or you have big squishy tires this may cause some of what you are feeling.
    This stuff is hard to describe and even harder to help diagnose.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I just purchased a Momentum 320G. It's the first 5th Wheel I've owned (i had a 30' trailer before). It has a sway to it when I go over 50 mph. I'm not sure what to do. I'm pulling it with a F350 short bed which has a GCWR of 26,500... so I'm under the weight limit. I have a Curt R20 5th Wheel Hitch.

The 5th Wheel tire pressure is good. Any suggestions on how to figured out why it sways so much?
    Hi CraigS,

A "swaying 5th wheel" is definitely not normal. You do have a big trailer there . . . but, an F350 should be able to handle it. How many miles on the truck? If a lot, have the truck shocks been replaced?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob, I only have 20,000 miles on the truck... so it should be good. Thanks for you feedback!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Hi Rob, I only have 20,000 miles on the truck... so it should be good. Thanks for you feedback!
    So much for that theory .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a slider and are you bringing it forward for the highway?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast