User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yukon XL tow vehicle

We are considering a travel trailer (GD Imagine) and will be towing with our Yukon XL. Will we be able to open the rear hatch when we are hitched to the trailer? I realize it will change depending on the setup. I have looked everywhere and not seen any mention of this.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I have seen this discussed either. My best guess would be no. Having the hitch right up against the bumper and the tongue jack only a couple feet behind it might not work, if it does it will be very close. Take your vehicle to the dealer and hook up to any trailer , they all are close to the same, and try it.

Brian

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you start asking if you can open the rear tailgate, you need to do careful calculations on the payload. The Yukon/Tahoe chassis is not known for a lot of leftover payload once you load fuel, people, pets and gear. Use 12 - 15% of the trailer's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) for an estimated loaded hitch weight for the trailer. If that's more than the Yukon has left for payload after all other things (including 100 lbs. for a WD hitch) are added, it's not the right combination.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a utility trailer hooked up to our Expedition and the rear hatch wont open because the tongue jack is in the way. I'd expect it to be the same on a TT.

Might want to measure how far the gate sticks out when opening and then measure the tongue jack to the front of the tongue on the TT you are looking at.

Or bring the Yukon to an RV dealer and if they'll let you, back up to the TT and see if the gate can open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can rotate the head of the tongue jack 90 degrees to avoid the rear hatch hitting it. I will assume that GD uses the same tongue jack across the various lines. We had to do this to ours. There is a You Tube video out there.
    Jim & Kathy
    Gracie, our 14 year old Rescued Beagle, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge with her big sister Bailey
    Suzy our 8 year old rescued Beagle
    2019 2500RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
    You can rotate the head of the tongue jack 90 degrees to avoid the rear hatch hitting it. I will assume that GD uses the same tongue jack across the various lines. We had to do this to ours. There is a You Tube video out there.
    Thank you very much for the heads up. I rotated the head 90 deg and the lift gate now has just enough room to open when attached.