Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rest Areas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know in 2011 SD rest areas said no overnite camping. We did on I90 about 30 miles East of Badlands. We arrived at 1AM and left at 7. Nobody said anything, in fact I'm not sure if any vehicles even drove by. Out in the middle of nowhere, not a lot of choice.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

funinthesnow
    I agree with the Allstays app. It is wonderful. Also some truck stops will let you stay over night as well. We have even gotten lucky with some Mom and Pop gas stations. :-) Look for places truckers pull over at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand you can stop in a rest area to rest for a few hours. Problem is they are very loud with trucks coming and going so not sure how much rest one would get. I agree with other that have posted, look up free over night stops like Walmart, Costco, or even Flying J truck stops. Some Flying J's have RV only parking so it tends to be much less traffic in and out making it much more peaceful.

I for one was very nervous about staying in a Walmart my first time. Turns out it wasn't a bad experience at all.
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
    • B&W Compainion
    • Trimble Suspension
    • Ownice Navigation

2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a list of what states allow.

http://www.interstaterestareas.com/o...parking-rules/

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not on the route from Fla. to SD, but I was impressed that at some rest stops on the Ohio tollway, there were "mini-campgrounds", with water/power at each parking spot!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that some states allow up to 8 hours but that doesn't mean you can put your slides out, blocking the space next to you. Unfortunately, our 42' 5th wheel has opposing slides that work off of one switch and they have to be put out to gain access to the bedroom or the bathroom so rest areas do not work for us.

But to add to Walmarts, Home Depot, etc. is Cabellas and Bass Pro Outlets. And if you're a member of the Elks Lodge, many of the lodges have RV sites that are very affordable. We're currently here in Rapid City and they have a professional golf course, a gym and dry sauna in the men's room and the women's room of the Pro Shop, etc. We're paying $15 a night for 50 amp. We've stayed at Elks Lodges all over the nation.

Many states allow up to 8 hours but I noticed just a few days ago (may be the same rest area that the OP mentioned) that it's posted for only 3 hrs. here in South Dakota.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at a Cabela's parking lot in Anchorage, Alaska a couple years ago for one night. They permit overnight dry camping however it cost us over $500.00. WE WENT IN THE STORE and I didn't even buy any guns since they can't sell to out of state residents, except long guns. :-) Most expensive camping I've ever done. They have a specific area off to one side of their store for RV's however when it filled the overflow parked out in the outer areas of the primary lot in the front of the store. Wasn't a bad night once everyone got settled in and set up.
    George and Sally

2006 Ford F-550 4x4
    2017 F-450 King Ranch Dually 4X4
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL, Load Range G tires added
    Three 160 Watt Solar panels up top, W/D and Dishwasher
    2006 Lance 1191 side entry truck camper, 1 slide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use rest areas and truck stops often. I like to get to our destination as quick as possible also. We usually drive until we are tired pull in, climb in bed, get 4 to 6 hours of rest then get back on the road. We have never been approached for doing anything illegal. Of course we don't open the slides or unhitch from the truck either.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
    We use rest areas and truck stops often. I like to get to our destination as quick as possible also. We usually drive until we are tired pull in, climb in bed, get 4 to 6 hours of rest then get back on the road. We have never been approached for doing anything illegal. Of course we don't open the slides or unhitch from the truck either.
    That wouldn't work for us. We can't get to the bedroom or bathroom without putting out at least one slide.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Oregon it’s a 12 hour limit. http://rvlife.com/overnight-parking-at-rest-areas/amp/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast