Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plumbing and Wiring Schematics

Hi Janice,

Why does Grand Design not make plumbing and wiring schematics available to owners ?
    I have asked this question before . . . as have others.
    This is information that I can find relatively easily for everything from my truck to my toaster.
    Why not for my RV ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I propose the answer has something to do with the fact it changes with every trailer and who is doing the work.

My reasoning is based in the very small but simple example that most all 337RLS units whose owners I have heard from have a 12v outlet under the china cabinet next to the triple toggle light switch .... not mine! Someone just didn't get around to it in my unit I suspect. I can't imagine GD would decide to eliminate that! There are ZERO 12v outlets, whether cigarette lighter style or USB style, in my unit. How much sense does that make. My last Keystone product (2011 model) had 1 behind the TV in the entertainment center, 1 in the bedroom next to the B/R TV mount and one in the pass through in case you add a TV there. My 2015 (December build) 337RLS, nothing, nadda, zippo!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I covered the construction of a manufactured home years ago, I asked about that too. After all, they are built on an assembly line, so you'd think it would be easy. However, there are differences from unit to unit. The guy drilling holes for plumbing or wires may drill a hole a foot right or left, or on another stud space. Things like that happen.

It would be nice if they gave a line diagram showing HOW everything is connected (this doesn't usually change), and stating in general where wires or pipes are run from point to point.

When I had a site-built home constructed, I went over every afternoon and took photos of every stage from framing to finish. This way I know what was behind each wall, including plumbing and wiring. Even that's not a sure thing.

I know someone else that did the same thing with his place, and went to put a medicine cabinet in his bathroom. The photos showed nothing behind one wall, so he cut in. He went down, and everything was fine. When he started across, about halfway in he hit something very hard and metal. It was a vent pipe. It wasn't in the photo. It wasn't there when he took the photo after the plumbing was supposed to be done. He suspected someone forgot a step and had to come back the next day and fix it.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not say how GDRV builds their units since I have not witnessed it, but several RV Mfgs use a pegboard layout for electrical wiring that is used for each RV model regardless of "options", then if options are requested above/beyond std build, those wires are run per the "build order". To name two plants that did it in years past: Jayco RV and Crossroads RV. Today those mfg's may not use the same method; however, both mfg's were able and willing to provide me the electrical layout for units when requested.

Running electrical circuits in a stick-built residential structure is different from RVs, so comparisons are "difficult". If an RV Mfg is building units without a master harness plan, there's going to be trouble. It is just hard for me to believe GDRV does not have the capability of providing at a minimum the basic plan. There may be some "legal" considerations that prevent GDRV from providing the information to anyone/everyone when they do not know whether the person receiving the information is capable of performing electrical modifications safely.

Does GDRV have the capability? - Probably. Does GDRV want to give it to everyone? - I can understand both Pros and Cons.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Janice,

Why does Grand Design not make plumbing and wiring schematics available to owners ?
    I have asked this question before . . . as have others.
    This is information that I can find relatively easily for everything from my truck to my toaster.
    Why not for my RV ?

Rob
    Hi Rob (@Cate&Rob),

Our drawings are very basic, and intended for our Production purposes only (as a guide). We do not use looms. We pull continuous run wire from spools, and wire runs vary by model.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Janice,

Not what I wanted to hear . . . but thanks for the prompt reply.

As Grand Design product move out of the warranty period, more and more owners are going to be looking to do their own updates or hire non-GD facilities to make additions and modifications. I think GD has a huge opportunity here, to (maybe) be the only coach builder with plumbing and wiring schematics in the owners manuals.

This would not be that difficult to accomplish. Hire an engineering student with CAD skills, for the summer, and have him/her draw up schematics of what your assemblers are building. Sort of "reverse engineering" but would get the job done.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how well this shows up, this is a chaffed wire out of a fire alarm in our office that is 6 years old that was inside a fire alarm that shorted out that wouldn't shut off till fixed. It's in a sealed unit that does not move on a classroom wall. This wire chaffing is caused by minor vibrations in our building, expansion and contraction, heating up and cooling. My point is everybody at some point, some sooner or later are going to have a failure due to poor planning or installation techniques that are so easy to avoid. I just don't think any consideration is given to wire and plumbing chaffing issues. I guess when your warranties are only one or two years long you can get away with this. When a manufacturer has the beans to offer longer and better warranties, maybe then this very simple item to fix in production will happen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	1566
    Scott & Carol Albuquerque, New Mexico
    2012 Ram 2500 Bagged, Tweaked Hard
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    50 amp direct wired surge guard
    Go Power 3000 watt Inverter
    F1103110

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the forum can set up a Q&A session (as long as people keep it civil) with a Quality Control representative and/or one of the 3 bosses to discuss some of these issues folks have been experiencing. It will help them address areas of concern, and give some owner some piece of mind and possibly to some fixes.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discussion is wandering a little off track from my original request to Grand Design.
    I was looking for wiring (and plumbing) schematics . . . drawings of how components are connected together.

The quality of how the wiring is actually done is a separate topic. Elsewhere on this forum, Grand Design has made a commitment to add inspection of the "wiring rat's nests" to their regular executive reviews. As I have noted previously, I have a lot of experience with boat wiring, and if this is not done to ABYC standards, you won't be able to get your boat insured. My (limited) RV experience is that "normal" RV wiring wouldn't come close to meeting minimum marine requirement. How is it that two "vehicles" that get kicked around in similar ways on a regular basis . . . can have such different requirements ??

I think these are equally important . . . but separate . . . topics.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, sorry for getting on my soap box and taking your request off track to GD, but if you have not figured it out, there are no two installations the same on the same model. The installers are given guidance as to what needs to be run but it is totally left up to them how they actually do it. Or so it appears. I have now had a chance to look at many of these units as well as other brands and they are rarely ever run the same. You can't believe the pictures you can get behind a sealed bulkhead with an iPhone. It's scary actually. So I don't think you will ever get more than a basic idea of what connects to what, electrically or plumbing wise. It is left up to the talent of the installer and the quality control of the supervisor on duty. Thank goodness GD does such a great job assembling the main assembly. The changes we would like will happen with GD in time as they have already proven with the way they handle customer service.
    Scott & Carol Albuquerque, New Mexico
    2012 Ram 2500 Bagged, Tweaked Hard
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Onan RV 5500 LP
    50 amp direct wired surge guard
    Go Power 3000 watt Inverter
    F1103110

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast