User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We live in rattlesnake country and two of our Aussies have been bitten. Years ago one was bitten in the face as she was going up hill to see what our other Aussies were excited about. They had flushed out a rattlesnake that headed downhill and bit the Aussie going up hill! Because it was a muzzle bite and the swelling might constrict her trachea we took her to the emergency clinic where she was given 1 dose of antivenom and supported with IV fluids. She recovered without incident.

Just recently our last Aussie was bitten on the upper part of her rear leg. Swelling was the first clue that she had been bitten. Antivenom is best administered as soon as possible so I knew it probably wouldn't help at this point. We keep benadryl on hand to use in situations like this and it helped pull her through.

We have heard from folks around here that the rattlesnake vaccine isn't as effective as it should be so we have opted out on giving it to our dogs. Here's a link to the vaccine manufacturer's website for those who'd like more info...
    http://www.redrockbiologics.com/ratt...accine_faq.php

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had our first encounter of the year with one today. A 2 foot long Western Diamondback in the back yard. Fortunately I found it, and the doggie didn't. I walked to within a couple of feet before I spotted it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's such a mixed bag of do it or not. The more I read the more I question if it's necessary seeing as we're not in heavy rattlesnake populations often. My deciding factor if any one is curious (I'm going to tell you even if you aren't ) is that they only tested this vaccine on less than 40 dogs and that alone doesn't scream to me it's effectiveness. We'll be in Wyoming and Montana for about 4 1/2 weeks. 1 wk in South Dakota and a week on the shores of Lk Superior and we know there is little risk there.. 2 dogs are much less curious and we won't be doing any heavy back country hiking with them and 1 is medication sensitive but not MDR1 mutated.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shocked to know that a rattlesnake vaccine may costs more than $1000! Better have your dog trained then and spend less especially if you are in a country where there are a lot of snakes!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldn't believe how much a trip to the emergency room is for snake bites. A friend had to be air flighted 100 miles last Summer, and the hospital was out of anti-venom. It had to be flown in from another city by air ambulance.

When the bill came in, it was beyond belief. He quickly made health insurance a priority for the rest of his life. He'll be paying that trauma hospital monthly for the rest of his life.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Are you saying he did not have health insurance or he had health insurance but the out- of-pocket expenses sunk him?
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never get over those in this world that do not protect their family by obtaining and paying for healthcare and disability and auto insurance.

My grandson's father had kidney stones with no insurance, and he's paying the hospital monthly--for years and years.

My friend mentioned with the snakebite had no insurance, and just the 120 mile helicopter flight about sunk him in cost. He was bit by a Copperhead, and the injury was very, very serious. I heard some dollar amounts on the bill, but I forget how much it cost.

My son in law didn't have any health insurance on our daughter and 3 grandkids. He came down with multiple mylenoma and was too cheap to go to the doctor. He self medicated with illicit drugs to the tune of $200K cash. By the time he did go to the doctor, he was a dead duck--literally. Left the family house foreclosed on and all assets fit in a suitcase.

Insurance is a serious business--and it comes before just about every other expenditure in life.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I can never get over those in this world that do not protect their family by obtaining and paying for healthcare and disability and auto insurance.

My grandson's father had kidney stones with no insurance, and he's paying the hospital monthly--for years and years.

My friend mentioned with the snakebite had no insurance, and just the 120 mile helicopter flight about sunk him in cost. He was bit by a Copperhead, and the injury was very, very serious. I heard some dollar amounts on the bill, but I forget how much it cost.

My son in law didn't have any health insurance on our daughter and 3 grandkids. He came down with multiple mylenoma and was too cheap to go to the doctor. He self medicated with illicit drugs to the tune of $200K cash. By the time he did go to the doctor, he was a dead duck--literally. Left the family house foreclosed on and all assets fit in a suitcase.

Insurance is a serious business--and it comes before just about every other expenditure in life.
    Geeesh! (Turns and walks away shaking his head.)
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rattlesnake bites are very common here in the Southern Arizona area. I get 3-4 snakes a year on my property. A snake bite can cause a devastating wound to our pups and can also be fatal. There are several organizations here that "snake train" dogs for a reasonable fee.

I've watched this training, and it's very effective. They defang a rattlesnake, and place it in an open area. Then, they put a shock collar on the dog and walk it near the snake while on a leash. If the dog tries to investigate or play with the snake, it receives a shock that is mildly painful. The dog will associate the snake with pain, and leave it alone. The dog is given time to calm down, and the scenario is repeated. Most dogs will actively try to get away from the snake on the second try. However, there are some that need more shocks to get the message. It may seem harsh to train the dog this way, but it works very well, and is much more mild than a snake bite.

Here's a short video that shows how successful the training can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-yUy30mfc

If your dog is bitten, immediately take it to a veterinarian for antivenin treatment to minimize damage, scarring and potential loss of life. Treatment of a typical bite can cost well over $1000.

Jim
    I tried that method on my Aussie performed by a retired vet in Gainesville, Fl. To this day I'm not sure the lesson sunk in. Hope I won't have to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    I tried that method on my Aussie performed by a retired vet in Gainesville, Fl. To this day I'm not sure the lesson sunk in. Hope I won't have to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aussies are pretty thick skinned and stubborn as hell. We could shock ours all day till you smell his hair burn (the bark setting will keep increasing the shock on ours) and he'll ignore it.
    Turn it to vibrate and that is a whole new game, he hates that and will react most times with barking at it for the first zap... But if I verbally threaten to put the collar on or zap him he amazingly listenes quickly.

We never did get the vaccine, the entire series to be effective would not have been complete for that trip. Luckily we never ran into any rattlers.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast