User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattlesnake Vaccine anyone?

When my Aussie Cody was having the "rattlesnake training", he was maybe 18 months old, but he had a bit of the shock collar in previous training( don't chase the UPS or Mail truck type training). Anyways he learned quickly to behave when he had the collar on. He also knew how to get it to stop-- run to me.
    So for the snake training, the rattler( big as a large truck tire) was between the trainer and me.
    Cody being the friendly dog that he was, literally walked by the rattler heading to meet the vet-- the vet zapped him and Cody did what he always did, and ran to me. So not sure if that took.
    Next test with the moccasin probably worked better as Cody cautiously approached the snake, got a timely zap, and ran away.
    Btw, Just before Christmas on our walk, we were attacked by a pit bull. The owners had two and one got away. I was frantic as he had his jaws around Cody's throat and I couldn't pry his jaws off. Fortunately Cody had a thick leather collar and the pit took a rebite and I was able to give him to his owner-- but the dog escaped him and he came again. I put my arm between him and Cody but he got by me and was on his throat again. I hit him over and over and he tried to adjust his grip round the throat,and this time, both me and the owner finally got the pit secure. We quickly left and went home to care for his injuries. Cody was bleeding pretty good from two bites but did not require a vet visit. We were lucky. I was actually scouting for Christmas lights for grandkids ages 3 and 5, to see. If they were with me, I would not have been able to save Cody as I would have had to protect the grandkids first.
    Saw the owners two days later. They apologized over and over. Said they got new collars, harnesses, leashes etc. They said they never saw that aggression from him before.
    Unfortunately it affected Cody as he is now more apt to show aggression when walking near what he perceives is a threat to us.
    My problem with pit bulls is that most owners I have seen aren't qualified to handle them.
    Many pits are in adoption facilities in Florida and people feel sorry for them, but aren't really invested enough to get the proper training for them. I know there are pit owners on this forum and it seems like they are aware of their responsibilities.
    Btw, I would appreciate the RV places in Florida that would not allow a 50 lb Aussie.
    If not the name of the facility, at least their location.
    My grandkids and Cody are the primary reasons we are looking into an RV. The present leader for us is the Reflection 311 bh.
    Anyone here have that model and could a F350 SRW handle that?

Cody at FDR Memorial D.C.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That had to of been a scary time for you and Cody. He's about the same size as ours, Koda bounces between 55/65. Keely was closer to 70+ lbs We winter with our 2 dogs (3 the previous year) in Bradenton at the Encore park. It's very close to I 75 but It was the only park we found surrounding that area with no dog restrictions on breed or size at all other than no mean agressive dogs regardless of breed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattlesnake Vaccine anyone?

Cody comes from a stockdog pedigree which are often a little smaller and more maneuverable. His grandfather and his father were both national cattle champs. He worked sheep and cattle early in his life but I selfishly took him off cattle because there are very few minor injuries when working cattle. He worked sheep only because I was doing it but he wasn't into them as much as cattle. So we both retired from working stock and have gained 4-5 extra pounds. Grandkids wouldn't understand if one time he didn't return from working cows.
    I'll check out that Bradenton park one time as soon as I get my rig-- we used to stay at Anna Maria years ago quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more than rattlesnakes out here. There are other venomous snakes and critters such as scorpions that can put a bad hurt on a dog. I'm not sure that they can all be vaccinated for. Then there's the usual non-venomous wildlife. We live in suburbia yet our neighbor's dog got through the fence and was killed by a coyote on the creek bed directly behind our house. +1 on keeping pets on a leash.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Our first dog, a rescue, had been bitten and took two vials of anti-venon, but the Westies we have now have never seen a real snake. (There have been a couple of king snakes in the yard that they haven't noticed.) However, when one of the garden hoses is in a different position, or they see a bit of rope on the street when we walk, they freeze and don't approach. They seem to know - but then again, they are never off-leash when we're out, unless they're in their crate. Rattlesnakes do know that dogs and people are too big to eat, so the only reason they strike/bite dogs and people is if they feel threatened. Walking in the woods, we usually make enough noise that everything knows we're comin' and has time to get out of the way, which a snake will do if it can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, It is good idea to immunize your dog against snake venom but I'm not sure that it really works. I read many reviews about low results of this vaccine.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our youngest pup's father was bitten and killed by a rattlesnake a few months ago in the Phoenix area. So last weekend, we took both of our Brittanys to snake aversion training. The guy putting on the training really knew his stuff. After just one shock, neither one of them would get within 20 feet of another rattlesnake and literally ran the other way.

Jim

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in south central Texas we have problems with multiple pet threats. Rattlesnakes, Coral Snakes (red next to yellow stripes) and other snakes close to water areas, along with other pests like fire ants and scorpions.
    I found our dog, before she died of cancer, could not smell snakes. A rattlesnake will give you warning a coral snake will not. Once she stepped right next to a coral snake but she didn't see it and neither did I at first glance. She did not get bit but showed signs that she didn't smell it or notice it. I killed the snake by chopping it in half with a spade, then let her smell it and investigate it and then she showed signs later of being able to smell snakes and notice them for what they were. I trained her to stay away from them even harmless chicken snakes. i once found a chicken snake near my shop 44 inches long.

Fire ants and scorpions are not lethal but can have health risks if bitten or stung enough. Fire ants will swarm over an animal if they step on a mound. Our dog had been stung on the nose by a scorpion had developed swelling. Having Benadryl on hand is good advise as well as a first aid kit containing things relating to bites and stings until you can get them to a vet.

People and RVers in Florida have other big non-native snakes and alligators they have to be aware of. I will never forget the warning sign I saw in a remote campground while visiting Orlando, never stake out your pets on a leash, protect them from alligators and pythons.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine in Freeport, Fl. lost his dog when he staked it out in the unfenced yard for a while. a federally protected Florida Panther got the dog and devoured it before anyone noticed the incident. Yep, we have panthers, bears, coyotes, and rattle snakes. This is known as the redneck reveria. So come on down..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123