User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattlesnake Vaccine anyone?

Have any of you vaccinated your dogs against Rattlesnake bites? Or am I being over reactive. We have 1 that is extremely curious and actually got bit by a harmless snake when we were in Virginia. As we get closer to heading west, this has been something I've wondered about. If we do decide to get it, it needs to be done soon so it has time to work.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rattlesnake bites are very common here in the Southern Arizona area. I get 3-4 snakes a year on my property. A snake bite can cause a devastating wound to our pups and can also be fatal. There are several organizations here that "snake train" dogs for a reasonable fee.

I've watched this training, and it's very effective. They defang a rattlesnake, and place it in an open area. Then, they put a shock collar on the dog and walk it near the snake while on a leash. If the dog tries to investigate or play with the snake, it receives a shock that is mildly painful. The dog will associate the snake with pain, and leave it alone. The dog is given time to calm down, and the scenario is repeated. Most dogs will actively try to get away from the snake on the second try. However, there are some that need more shocks to get the message. It may seem harsh to train the dog this way, but it works very well, and is much more mild than a snake bite.

Here's a short video that shows how successful the training can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-yUy30mfc

If your dog is bitten, immediately take it to a veterinarian for antivenin treatment to minimize damage, scarring and potential loss of life. Treatment of a typical bite can cost well over $1000.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our vet recommends a vaccine called Red Rock.
    Not sure how much it costs but it's supposed to be effective assuming you do it all including booster shots.
    We run cattle in some rattlesnake country and all the cow dogs are vaccinated every year.
    Good luck and please let know how it turns out for you.
    Thanks
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an acquaintance get bit by a copperhead, and they life flighted him to a trauma center. Another snakebit gentleman came in before him, and the hospital used up all their snake vaccine medicine. My friend's meds had to be flown in.

Since my friend had no insurance, he may get the hospital bill paid before he dies.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, or vet isn't familiar with the vac, we don't have a huge population of rattlesnakes at home. He suggested that we vaccinate out there but then it's too late, it'll be effective as we leave the area. So many go out there and nothing happens. ..i hate making decisions on a what if situation.

We are camping at a park just a bit north of home that has massaugas and camp here often enough and have never seen one on the trails. But i think they are a different creature than the rattlesnakes West.
    I'm still on the fence. Been reading on it and there are many opinions or there, from it being hype to just could buy time until you get to the vet.

I like the sounds of the de sensitization training and can see where it would be effective And a long term

Bummer for your friend Bamaman,at least he's still alive
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you keep your pups on a leash at all times and only let them walk where you can see what they are getting into, you will probably be fine. The majority of dogs bitten in our area are hunting dogs or dogs that are allowed to run free. If you do see one, just give it a little room, and you'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read someplace that it was tested on something like 38 dogs, don't remember where and don't know if that is true. If it is I don't think I want something so untested.

The more I read the less likely we are to get the shots. Well be in that area for 4 to 5 weeks
    and not doing a ton of backcountry hiking.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are responsible and keep your pups close and under your supervision and control then there isn't much of a worry. Its only beneficial to those who are irresponsible and allow their dogs to roam at their leisure. Snakes with very few exceptions don't hunt you down and will only strike when they are threatened and have no means of egress. The only exception I am aware of lives in the deep south and goes by the name of cotton mouth or water moccasin. Rattle snakes will retreat before they strike and will give you a warning first and don't have much of a strike distance so you pretty much have to step on them. My yellow Lab Murphy is very well trained (AKC ACE award, SAR and Therapy Dog certified) so I have zero worries with him. He doesn't wander off period, no leash needed. If we are out and about he is always within arms reach of me unless commanded to do otherwise and is 100% responsive on recall.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Justin, our dog is a bird hunting dog, and is within sight at all times, but not within arm's reach. It not irresponsible to let her off the leash while doing so. If a dog is exposed to snakes frequently, the responsible thing to do is aversion training. But for the average owner, just keeping the dog leashed and under control is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry my comment wasn't aimed at hunting dogs while actively on the hunt. I'm sure you have witnessed as much as I have the irresponsible owners I am referring to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast