User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought ours from Tweety's. I have the 23" Brown version and they fit the steps in the folded position too. The dogs don't hesitate to go in or out now and less stuff gets tracked into the coach.

https://tweetys.com/outrigger-rv-step-rug.aspx
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its just the dog. My ten year old chocalate lab charges up the steps like his tail is on fire. He is a pheasant and duck hunting dog also, maybe his experience in diffrent enviroments has helped him.
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a PetSTEP ramp by WeatherTech. It's coated in rubber and holds up to 500 pounds, so both dogs - or a dog and a human - can use it simultaneously with no slips. We use it for the dogs to get in and out of the truck as well, which means we avoid claws scratching the paint. Since we have two RV doors, we leave the ramp set up at one door when in camp. We have the light colored one and haven't had a problem with it being too hot even when left in the sun. It's around 18 pounds, I think, and folds in half. Friends of ours prefer using the ramp themselves, as they think the steps are too narrow. Whatever works! Bonus - we use the ramp to help load our bikes into the back - just makes that task easier!
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

hydro_man
    I built steps that attach to the current steps that make the steps the same size as the standard house steps, it adds a forth step if you would like pictures text me (414) 801-1100. Working with a source to manufacture them

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue with our Corgie/Lab mix is emotional. (We call her a Corgador) Her first camping trip was rough. She goes on a hungry strike when anything changes. She only ate twice in 2 days. Since she eats twice a day, that was a lot of meals to miss. She even will go on hungry strikes at home, but usually only for one day. So for several short trips she stayed at our youngest son's house. Then in May we went on a three week trip. We couldn't find anyone to take her for that long. So our only option was to take her with us. I figured that she was either going to get over it or being very thin by the time we got home. Well she was great on that trip. Ate just about every meal, and loved all the walks. Now she goes nuts when she sees the trailer show up. I wonder what kind of adjustment is it going to take to get her to acclimate to a new trailer.

As far as the steps go, she does a "preflight check" and then goes for it. Single leap into the truck all the way into the seat.

She is 11 almost 12, and show NO sign of slowing down. I guess that she hasn't gotten the memo that she is a senior citizen now and shouldn't be able to do these things. And oh she goes nuts when she sees squirrels, possums and cats. Squirrels are her arch enemies since they scold and taunt her.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we bought the Camco step covers

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While never competitive, we used to train our dogs for agility contests. Baring age/other infirmities, take a bit of time to train them about the steps. With a leash on, and the dog at the bottom, place a treat on the first step. The more desirable, the better. Let them get it. Repeat a few times. Put on the second step, and repeat. And so on. As it gets further away, if they have a tendency to jump steps, use the leash to prevent them from getting to the goal, and use a mild voice correction - ie, they get the treat only walking up each step. It helps, of course, if your dog already has a solid "wait" command - don't do anything until I give permission, but is not a key for this process. Take it a bit slow, and make sure they are repeating the climb correctly each time.
    Same process for going down - but work a lot more on the always-one-step-at-a-time expectation. In agility, it is usual for dogs to launch themselves off a steep down going ramp to get to the bottom (treat) or next adventure, which is when injuries happen, so be rigorous. Spend a lot of time repeating with a final treat at the bottom, which they only get when going down correctly. Never, ever allow them to get away with a jump.
    First down step can be scary, so perhaps a start with sitting in the doorway looking out, and treating. Then extending the treat out and down a bit so they stretch for it. Then finally on the first down step. Once they get that that one is good, the rest will go very fast.

Our old trailer had punched out holes for treads on the steps, that the dogs hated (probably uncomfortable to step on) - Camping World, etc. sell strap on carpet that goes on each step, that resolves the issue for both dogs and barefoot people.

None of this will take very long - dogs get it in only a few sessions. It's not as tedious as "intellectual" commands like down, stand, or heel.....
    Last edited by sande005; 09-01-2023 at 07:27 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have used this ramp in our older trailer. We are getting ready to take possession of our Solitude and the only disadvantage is that it just has one door. Appreciate your post. Now I know that there are a couple of inches for us humans!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdlover View Post
    I also have used this ramp in our older trailer. We are getting ready to take possession of our Solitude and the only disadvantage is that it just has one door. Appreciate your post. Now I know that there are a couple of inches for us humans!
    The WeatherTech ramp is great - we even use it to help our 13 year old get into the truck. Our puppy had no problems learning to go up/down stairs of the Solitude but had a hard time with the truck running board. We've only needed to use one section but carry both with us (never know what DW will find to bring home - she found the pup in TN).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for carpet covers. I think walmart has them, you have to get the right ones - curved or straight. Dog did not like the aluminum steps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast