User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    scott42blue

Onan 5500 gas generator with pusher pump, marine water separator 10 micron filter.

This is next on my to do list. Just ordered repair and parts manual for my Onan 5.5 HGJAB To get info that onan keeps in house. Factory set up has pump located at gen set. Pump must suck fuel from a tank located 30 + feet aweigh with small filter at pump.
    I want to locate pump and true 10 micron water/fuel filter close to tank. There is a great location for it, well protected and less than 3 feet from tank pick up.
    This location is easily accessible and give the advantage of loading any filter with new gas or stabilized fuel for direct injection into gen set.
    I also want to keep fuel pump close to tank.
    If anyone has done this before I would like to hear how they did it
    Thanks
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same 355th and I would like to see some pictures of this. So far I have not had any issues the gennie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

scott42blue
    It is just a matter of time until our factory set ups fail. Usually around 3 years old. Check internet for dreaded fuel pump problems on Onan 5500 . I would rather deal with it now in shop than later when it dies on a trip out of town. I will post pictures of progress.

scott42blue

Update with pictures

I received my Onan parts and service manual. Factory pump should be in the 2.5 to 4 psi range.
    I installed T fitting after pump and verified pressure on mine so I have a baseline to work from.
    It was in the middle of Onan specification.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV fuel pump 005.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	2165

I got the pump and filter bracket made today. This is the factory OEM replacement pump usually mounted on genset. Reason for unusual layout. T fitting is there in case of needing to pump tank dry and replace gas. There is no drain on my tank.

Name:	RV fuel pump 004.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	2166

I am sure most of you know this but gas tank is a aluminzed steel construction. Good quality but with today's gas it is going to be a problem for all of us at 2 or 3 years old. The factory Onan filter has no water catching ability and is only about 1 inch long.
    I hope this post helps someone who wants to do this.
    Scott

scott42blue

Finished

I started with this

Name:	RV fuel pump last 001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	2212
    Factory oem pump located 3 feet aweigh from fuel tank. My thinking was no way factory pump could pull fuel through restriction of extra marine filter and 35 feet to gen set. I was WRONG.
    Just to test I hooked gen set pump to measure loss of pressure through new filter system ( none ). Thinking no way, I loaded gen with 3 ac set on high. Recorded .05 % loss of pressure after pump. Still easily within factory specs. In the end why make things more complicated than they need to be so ended with this.

Name:	RV fuel pump last 2 002.jpg 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	2213

With all of this work done I would recommend this upgrade to anyone with gas gen. It is not to hard or expensive and gives you great fuel protection, also gives the ability to pre load filter with extra stabilizer and inject into gen during winterizing.
    The only other thing worth bringing up is. On my factory install it would be impossible to change pump without having a a hole saw set ( something I don't usually keep in RV ) So I pre drilled this area and hope I never need it, but know I will.

Name:	RV fuel pump last 006.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	2214

I hope this helps others
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting that! Do you have part numbers for the parts needed to setup that filter?

Also, where you pre-drilled that by the pump, was that to access what looks like a fastener below the pump?
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    Thank you for posting that! Do you have part numbers for the parts needed to setup that filter?

Also, where you pre-drilled that by the pump, was that to access what looks like a fastener below the pump?
    RamGunner
    I bought this one. they are available from about any marine place. It could be done in a hour or less knowing what I know know. Mark and drill 2 holes matching filter mounting points through frame rail. Mount filter with shims or washers so filter clears inside of frame rail for changing purposes, around 1 inch.

5/16 (small ) hose is input for gen. 3/8 hose is vapor line. I would prefill filter with gas I was amazed at how fast Onan factory pump put pressure on gas line.

Any questions feel fee to ask. I think anyone with genset would want to do this modification.
    I don't think you can even buy a boat without filter system like this.
    Scott

Moeller Water Separating Fuel Filter System (3/8" NPT, Cast Aluminum, Universal/Mercury/Yamaha)
    by Moeller Marine
    17 customer reviews | 7 answered questions
    List Price: $31.99
    Price: $29.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $2.00 (6%)
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

Your "boating experience" is showing on this one . A great transfer of knowledge. Well done !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the part numbers. I think this is a very worthwhile modification.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott42blue View Post
    RamGunner
    I bought this one. they are available from about any marine place. It could be done in a hour or less knowing what I know know. Mark and drill 2 holes matching filter mounting points through frame rail. Mount filter with shims or washers so filter clears inside of frame rail for changing purposes, around 1 inch.

5/16 (small ) hose is input for gen. 3/8 hose is vapor line. I would prefill filter with gas I was amazed at how fast Onan factory pump put pressure on gas line.

Any questions feel fee to ask. I think anyone with genset would want to do this modification.
    I don't think you can even buy a boat without filter system like this.
    Scott

Moeller Water Separating Fuel Filter System (3/8" NPT, Cast Aluminum, Universal/Mercury/Yamaha)
    by Moeller Marine
    17 customer reviews | 7 answered questions
    List Price: $31.99
    Price: $29.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $2.00 (6%)
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
    I realize this post is pretty old...but I was curious if this turned out to be THE solution? I've been battling code 36 shutdowns for 3 years now with my 5500 and this looks like the next thing for me to try.

ac