User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303RLS and 2013 Chevy 2500HD - Hitch Question

I am saving funds to purchase a Grand Design 303RLS. Tow vehicle will be a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC 4WD LTZ Duramax Diesel with standard 6.5 ft bed. My truck already has a B&W turnover ball installed.

To minimize payload my plan was to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch but with the recent decision by Grand Design/Lippert not to honor the camper frame warranty with the use of this hitch has me considering a B&W Companion hitch instead.

I'm trying to decide if I can comfortably use the standard Companion hitch with the 303RLS and my truck or if I have to give up an additional 75 lbs of payload and implement the Companion slider hitch.

Are any of your 303RLS owners using the standard Companion hitch in the same or closely similar truck?

If so, I would like to confirm the standard Companion hitch can be adjusted with this truck/5th wheel combo to provide good 5th wheel-to-cab clearance for sharp turn and adequate pin box clearance of both bed sides/rails.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Best regards,

Keith

Steve and Lynne
    To know beyond a doubt that B and W is a company much like Grand Design in that it cares about its customers and wants to give them accurate information, I suggest calling B and W. They may not be able to give you an ironclad definitive statement, but I bet they will give you all the information they can, and answer all your questions. I am not a lot of help because we pull a 337 with a Dodge Ram 8' bed, but I think a standard Companion will work out for you. I know it is heavier than the Andersen, but I/we feel a huge sense of security knowing there is a rock solid, substantial, simple hitch assembly keeping our home attached and us protected from disaster. Just look at the jaws securing the fifth wheel pin! There's proud American craftsmanship!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same question with my 2014 Dodge Ram 2500...... some people thought I'd be OK...some didn't. I just finally made the decision to go with the Companion slider. Leave tomorrow to pick up my 303 in Central CA. so if you have any questions about it...... I should know more Thursday...we are camping with it on the coast as soon as we pick it up.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Steve and Lynne
    Quality is not expensive, it's priceless! I just got through reading the B & W website. Most testimonials mentioned the great customer service people by name! Much enjoyment to you, Brian and Paula. We have loved full-timing in our 337 for over a year, the 303 is a great fifth wheel too!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a B&W 16K Patriot hitch (on rails) towing a 323BHS with a short bed F250 crewcab. So far, I've had no problems turning and towing. B&W's are adjustable approx. 4" up and down, front and back. I'm running mine in the middle in both directions. B&W are top of the line products in quality and workmanship.

It'd be interesting to see the percentage of short bed owners not running sliders with GD fifth wheels. There are a few that report dented cabs and one last week with a broken rear window.

But I would think the majority of owners are towing GD fifth wheels without sliders in their short bed trucks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at the Reese Goose Box. Lippert is OK with it and you don't loose space or add weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140611_194037 (2).jpg  
    John and Lisa
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1849
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD