Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for a Westlake tire update

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of any actual Westlake tire failures?

(I know a lot of folks change them out almost immediately because of the "china bomb" issues but this is for those that have not)

If so... Please give us some info...

Size, running pressure, load, age, reason for failure, etc ??

Thanks
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5,700 miles so far, no problems!
    Ironically my BF Goodrich Commercial TA truck tire blew out on way to Anchor Down last week. Thanks to Chris & Debbie (mtpocket) I learned of a recall my tires were part of, so hopefully tomorrow I'll find out if they will help pay for all the damage.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott and Jan View Post
    Ironically my BF Goodrich Commercial TA truck tire blew out on way to Anchor Down last week. Thanks to Chris & Debbie (mtpocket) I learned of a recall my tires were part of, so hopefully tomorrow I'll find out if they will help pay for all the damage.
    Hope they pay for the damage to your truch and rv...Also hope they reimburse you for the replacement tires...Say hi to Jan.

Sorry no experience with Westlake tires...Have had bad experience with other off brand tires.

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have about 5000 miles on ours with no problems. Just guessing but I suspect that people that do have problems tend to drive faster than what they are rated for,
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Just guessing but I suspect that people that do have problems tend to drive faster than what they are rated for,
    ...and/or possibly overloaded.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott and Jan View Post
    I had that happen to me during the early summer this year. When I took it in to get the tire replaced, I found out about the recall and they replaced all four tires for the cost of the upgrade I requested. This was at Costco. It was like pulling teeth to get Michelin (Goodrich) to pay for the damage to the wheel well though.
    Tony & Judy DaVanzo
    Riverside, CA
    2015 Solitude 320x #3626 Plant #1 Line #1
    2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Diesel / Aisin Transmission

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JCR,

A fair question.

To be more specific (if I can jump in on your request) . . . has anyone who monitors their tires with a TPMS experienced a Westlake tire failure without warning ? Outside this forum, I have talked with folks (not GD owners) using TPMS and learned that TPMS has found leaking valve stems, cracked rims and tire punctures, all leading to low tire pressure which stresses the tire but is not the tire's fault.

I am very much aware of my RV tires. I am new to this and have read much about the "China Bomb" experience and the ST vs LT debate. I have posted comments on this on several different threads on this forum. I watch my TPMS constantly. We stop every couple of hours (the "crew" in our avatar demands regular ball chasing sessions in trade for quiet travel ). At each stop, I scan my tires across the tread with the IR temp readout discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Tread depth is equal across all four tires. I can't find any of the cracks reported by others. Maybe it's an age thing ? Maybe Westlakes only last 3 years when other brands will last 5 ?? So far . . . from all I can measure . . . there is nothing to fear from Westlake tires.

Rob

Addendum: We have 5000 miles under the wheels, plus delivery mileage, so not far behind Scott and Jan on miles travelled.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    We just had a blow out and the TPMS did not give any warning its taken out the trim, damage the side body and under belly, I would like to now change the Westlake (should have done the before!) for a better make who has change the set and what make did you go for?

I would also like to know what pressure you run at on your 385TH's I do not like the the way the 16 ply run hot my pressure jump from 123 to 138 psi today!

PS we have put 12,000 on in 15 months

Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cate&Rob,

From what I see on the web, the China bomb issue was around 2014 where NHSA got involved. A recall was initiated and I have not seen any recent news in regard to failures of these tires. I will however eventually replace them with a US made tire when they are due for replacement. I'm a firm believer in a TPMS system as well and agree a failure can be caused by many issues outside of the actual tire. Without monitoring, a tire failure of any make can cause damage to the RV.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Cate&Rob,

From what I see on the web, the China bomb issue was around 2014 where NHSA got involved. A recall was initiated and I have not seen any recent news in regard to failures of these tires. I will however eventually replace them with a US made tire when they are due for replacement. I'm a firm believer in a TPMS system as well and agree a failure can be caused by many issues outside of the actual tire. Without monitoring, a tire failure of any make can cause damage to the RV.
    The only NHTSA recall for Westlake tires (that I can find) was in 2007 for 2004-2006 Westlake LT tires. So, that info is not for ST tires and is over a decade old. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=3463197 Just about every tire manufacturer has had a recall of some tire for some reason in the last decade.

There is obviously much "China Bomb" discussion on many forums, but no NHTSA involvement for Westlake ST tires. I am not particularly a fan of Westlake tires, but I ran them for two years with no problems and have chosen to replace them with Maxxis.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast