User Tag List

Page 94 of 103 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I had Westlakes on mine for 2 camping trips then had a set of Endurance installed about a week ago, and have driven about 150 miles on them for this trip.
    Regardless of any other factors, the current tires provide a much more enjoyable ride, as the trailer doesn't feel like it's bouncing all over the road.
    I also noticed a significant reduction in bounce on my boat trailer. Good point.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaving tomorrow for about a 5,000 mile trip. I have the 14 ply 235/16 Westlake tires. My Reno buddy has a set of 14 ply tires that are over 2 years old and have around 15,000 miles on them. My personal issue is with 10 ply 16" tires. Have had problems with all brands of 10 ply tires. Something wrong with that style tire.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Leaving tomorrow for about a 5,000 mile trip. I have the 14 ply 235/16 Westlake tires. My Reno buddy has a set of 14 ply tires that are over 2 years old and have around 15,000 miles on them. My personal issue is with 10 ply 16" tires. Have had problems with all brands of 10 ply tires. Something wrong with that style tire.
    I have right at 7K miles on the G rated (14 ply rated) Westlake tires that came on my 375 res. So far they are doing great. I do keep them at 110 psi and monitor the pressure and temps as I travel. So far I see nothing that would worry me about traveling with these tires. I hope to get at least two more summers travel (15K) out of them
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read through a good portion of this thread and really don't know much more than I did. I still have the original Westlakes on my 2015 337RLS. Tire mfg date is 14 so I was thinking it might be time to change. I am sort of leaning to the GoodYear Endurance and going with the 235/85 E since it gives me a few hundred pounds headroom. They also make a 255/85 E running at 80PSI but load rating around 4000#. They're slightly bigger so would have to check clearances. If I don't have to mortgage the trailer to buy them this might be the way to go. Just thinking out loud here.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulandruby View Post
    I've read through a good portion of this thread and really don't know much more than I did. I still have the original Westlakes on my 2015 337RLS. Tire mfg date is 14 so I was thinking it might be time to change. I am sort of leaning to the GoodYear Endurance and going with the 235/85 E since it gives me a few hundred pounds headroom. They also make a 255/85 E running at 80PSI but load rating around 4000#. They're slightly bigger so would have to check clearances. If I don't have to mortgage the trailer to buy them this might be the way to go. Just thinking out loud here.
    I just sold my ST205/75R15 D rated Westlakes and purchased Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 E rated tires. I lost 1/2 inch of fender clearance where I will raise the trailer by a one of a few methods I am investigating since we occasionally travel to dry camps where the travel can be unpredictable. You do not want to overstress the suspension and frame where its best to keep to the original cold pressure or slightly higher where the advantage in the upgrade is stronger construction and the tires will no longer be maxed. The Endurance tires I installed have a several hundred lb increase for each tire with the same pressure over the Westlakes. I've aired these at 65psi this past weekend and will not go beyond 70psi cold.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    ...The Endurance tires I installed have a several hundred lb increase for each tire with the same pressure over the Westlakes.
    I've aired these at 65psi this past weekend and will not go beyond 70psi cold.
    Same here, I run my Endurance tires at 74 cold and our first "long" trip was about a week ago, through West Texas in 90+ degree temps, during which time the tires reached a max of 80 psi.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2016 M class Toy box and these West Lake Tires fell apart like re-caps would on a semi, and under 3,000 miles. Rubber came off but never lost air!!!!! Just like a re-cap! I was on a trip to Sturgis from So Cal, with a Harley in the garage, about 900 lbs total. I'm a retired Teamster and am pretty anal about keeping an eye on tire pressure. After the second rear Westlake blew off the cap, we stopped in Gillette and put on Goodyears. Called Westlake when we returned and got the same ol run around most do. If you buy a new GD and it has westlakes on it, tell the dealer to switch them out before you purchase. GD doesn't get involved with this issue. They tell you who to call and that's it. I have about 20K on my Goodyears and still running strong. BTW, the Westlakes are rated at 80psi and should easily be able to run the speed limit! If you keep your tires at the recommended pressure, and obviously don't over load your trailer, they should easily be able to run at higher speeds. Just my .02, load range G Tires are the strongest ply out there, but will ride like crap because they are a very hard ply tire, even the Goodyears.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybgood View Post
    I had a 2016 M class Toy box and these West Lake Tires fell apart like re-caps would on a semi, and under 3,000 miles. Rubber came off but never lost air!!!!! Just like a re-cap! I was on a trip to Sturgis from So Cal, with a Harley in the garage, about 900 lbs total. I'm a retired Teamster and am pretty anal about keeping an eye on tire pressure. After the second rear Westlake blew off the cap, we stopped in Gillette and put on Goodyears. Called Westlake when we returned and got the same ol run around most do. If you buy a new GD and it has westlakes on it, tell the dealer to switch them out before you purchase. GD doesn't get involved with this issue. They tell you who to call and that's it. I have about 20K on my Goodyears and still running strong. BTW, the Westlakes are rated at 80psi and should easily be able to run the speed limit! If you keep your tires at the recommended pressure, and obviously don't over load your trailer, they should easily be able to run at higher speeds. Just my .02, load range G Tires are the strongest ply out there, but will ride like crap because they are a very hard ply tire, even the Goodyears.
    Interesting comment about recaps shredding rubber. A few years back a comprehensive study was done on shredded big rig tires. Interestingly, there was no difference in failure between virgin tires and caps. The methodology for the analysis was quite thorough. Lack of proper inflation was the root cause of failure.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    Interesting comment about recaps shredding rubber. A few years back a comprehensive study was done on shredded big rig tires.
    Interestingly, there was no difference in failure between virgin tires and caps. The methodology for the analysis was quite thorough.
    Lack of proper inflation was the root cause of failure.
    I've heard this study mentioned before yet no one ever seems to be able to provide a link or reference to it, if it exists.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well with a quick internet search it appears that quality retreads are holding up as well as new tires when properly cared for. Retreading techniques have changed over the years. Even back in the '80s when I was doing tire testing I don't recall throwing treads all over the road during accelerated durability testing on truck tires. The facts about retreads may have morphed over the internet into what is presented above as a single study but it would seem the facts are all there even if there exists no single report.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 94 of 103 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast