User Tag List

Page 91 of 103 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peace of mine always a long way. My tires have around 2000 miles and I’m replacing next week.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julie, "how good do you want to feel?" is the real question you want to ask yourself. It's not about the number of miles that are on the tires, or even the manufacturing date (in this case). Look at the construction of the Westlake tires and compare it to the construction of the Goodyear Endurance tires. For me personally it was a no brainer; I installed the Endurance tires.

"What's on YOUR trailer?"
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you upgrade now and never have a problem, you will never know if it was worth the $$. If you don't upgrade and have a problem, then you will wish you had.

I don't even want to think of the 3rd possibility of upgrading and still having a blow-out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    If you upgrade now and never have a problem, you will never know if it was worth the $$. If you don't upgrade and have a problem, then you will wish you had.

I don't even want to think of the 3rd possibility of upgrading and still having a blow-out.
    And to think that 3rd possibility could become a reality. I'll just always worry about tires.. lol

Julie and Tim
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2018 Ford Super Duty F-250 Crew Cab FX4
    1,200/12,000lb Equal-i-zer Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire size question:
    After reading miles of comments about the Westlakes and getting ready for our first season on the road, so far only 500 miles on them, are planning on doing the upgrade.
    Current size: 205/75R15
    Is there an issue of going to
    New size: 225/75r15

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbuck View Post
    Tire size question:
    After reading miles of comments about the Westlakes and getting ready for our first season on the road, so far only 500 miles on them, are planning on doing the upgrade.
    Current size: 205/75R15
    Is there an issue of going to
    New size: 225/75r15
    Depends on the GDRV year and model that you have. The 225 tires will be slightly larger. What is the distance between the original tires and what is the clearance at the top, to the trailer body? (BTW . . . this is not likely going to create any problems)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jimbuck - There is a height difference of 1.2" between the two tires. Since half of that difference will be above the axle and half below the axle, you will be .6" closer to to the fender well. Look at your present tires when the coach is loaded. If you have roughly four inches of clearance or more between the top of the tire and the fender well with your current tires, the new ones should fit fine and not rub on the fenders.

You also want to make sure you have adequate clearance between the tandem tires. If you have more than 2.5" now, you should be fine there too.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks just checking as good to know size range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi JCR,

A fair question.

To be more specific (if I can jump in on your request) . . . has anyone who monitors their tires with a TPMS experienced a Westlake tire failure without warning ? Outside this forum, I have talked with folks (not GD owners) using TPMS and learned that TPMS has found leaking valve stems, cracked rims and tire punctures, all leading to low tire pressure which stresses the tire but is not the tire's fault.

I am very much aware of my RV tires. I am new to this and have read much about the "China Bomb" experience and the ST vs LT debate. I have posted comments on this on several different threads on this forum. I watch my TPMS constantly. We stop every couple of hours (the "crew" in our avatar demands regular ball chasing sessions in trade for quiet travel ). At each stop, I scan my tires across the tread with the IR temp readout discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Tread depth is equal across all four tires. I can't find any of the cracks reported by others. Maybe it's an age thing ? Maybe Westlakes only last 3 years when other brands will last 5 ?? So far . . . from all I can measure . . . there is nothing to fear from Westlake tires.

Rob

Addendum: We have 5000 miles under the wheels, plus delivery mileage, so not far behind Scott and Jan on miles travelled.
    Rob, could I ask you perhaps what seems to be the acceptable temperature for tires while traveling?
    Thanks
    Rick & Linda
    2018 Silverado 3500 High Country
    SRW Duramax/Allison 4WD
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick & Linda View Post
    Rob, could I ask you perhaps what seems to be the acceptable temperature for tires while traveling?
    Thanks
    Hi Rick,

I had to pay more attention to this today . Typically, I look for differences and don’t pay a lot of attention to the absolute numbers! Today, travelling on 60F pavement at 50F ambient temp, I measured 75F on the shaded side tire treads and 90F on the sunny side treads at a rest area stop after two hours of driving. I recall earlier discussion that 120F was as safe maximum but this doesn’t seem reasonable for the SW where the pavement temperatures can approach this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 91 of 103 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast