User Tag List

Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Here's a piece of data that I haven't seen in this thread yet. At the NoCal rally GD admitted that they put the wrong load range tires on a lot of their trailers for a lot of years. We were told that they chose tires based on input from the importer which resulted in a lot of heavy trailers getting Load range E tires. Looking at the tire specs the E rated tires look sufficient but in a lot of cases they don't have the reserve load capacity to handle the dynamic loads on the tires or uneven tire loading. For this reason they recently started putting load range G tires on the larger trailers. Apparently that has made difference in tire longevity. Too light a tire for the load and they fail. Go figure.
    Jim - good information to share.......thank you, for doing this ! I seem to recall this but do not recall when/who shared it......possibly you previously.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16" E-rated tires on bigger trailers is the issue or on all trailers? I just ask because my new 297 RSTS has 16" E-rated tires that seem to have good load capacity margin and I know that this model in 2017 had 15" so from a capacity standpoint I have 12,000 lbs of tire capacity on a trailer rated for 9,995 GVWR so 20%. 14,000 lbs capacity if you use the single tire load rating and not the dual which de-rates capacity by about 500 lbs per tire.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    16" E-rated tires on bigger trailers is the issue or on all trailers? I just ask because my new 297 RSTS has 16" E-rated tires that seem to have good load capacity margin and I know that this model in 2017 had 15" so from a capacity standpoint I have 12,000 lbs of tire capacity on a trailer rated for 9,995 GVWR so 20%. 14,000 lbs capacity if you use the single tire load rating and not the dual which de-rates capacity by about 500 lbs per tire.
    You don't derate the tires on a trailer as they are not duals but a tandem axle. The duals that they are talking about is the duals on a 1 ton dually like a F350, Ram 3500 and a 3500 GM. So your tires are on your trailer are rated for the max rating at max pressure.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
    You don't derate the tires on a trailer as they are not duals but a tandem axle. The duals that they are talking about is the duals on a 1 ton dually like a F350, Ram 3500 and a 3500 GM. So your tires are on your trailer are rated for the max rating at max pressure.
    On the Westlake tire site they have 2 ratings, one for single axle use and one for dual axle use. I have seen this on Carlisle Radial Trail HD. It is stamped right on the tire and since we don't usually have duals on trailers, have seen a few non rv types I assume it means for out tandem. Might be wrong but will ask at the tire dealer this weekend when I get the balanced.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terms "dual" and "tandem" cause a lot of confusion because they are so often used incorrectly.

DUAL wheels are when there are 2 tires on each end of the same axel or, to say it another way, 4 tires on 1 axel.
    If you say dual axel it should mean an axel with 2 tires on each end

TANDEM axels means 2 axels.

On a typical camper we have tandem axels and single tires.

So as regards derating the tires, it would not normally be necessary to derate the tires.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    The terms "dual" and "tandem" cause a lot of confusion because they are so often used incorrectly.

DUAL wheels are when there are 2 tires on each end of the same axel or, to say it another way, 4 tires on 1 axel.
    If you say dual axel it should mean an axel with 2 tires on each end

TANDEM axels means 2 axels.

On a typical camper we have tandem axels and single tires.

So as regards derating the tires, it would not normally be necessary to derate the tires.
    That is good then as it means I have about 40% capacity margin on the 16" E-rated Westlake tires so hopefully no issues at least not from overloading a tire.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Jim, That could be the reason I don't like "E" rated tires, Most of the time you are close to the limit. One thing I do like about the West Lake tires is they are rated for 4,400 lbs. per tire and 17,600 total. With the 7k Dexter axles you should have no problems running 12k on a pair of axles. At the same time I ran my truck tires at the limit and never had a failure. Lucky?? Maybe or the fact that most truck tires are rated for around 100 mph+ might help.
    Its the load rating of the supplied tire to the actual load that's in use. I moved from D rated to E rated so I now have a cushion. Those with E rated would benefit in the same way in moving to G rated tires so I don't think its an E rated issue, but an application issue.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Its the load rating of the supplied tire to the actual load that's in use. I moved from D rated to E rated so I now have a cushion. Those with E rated would benefit in the same way in moving to G rated tires so I don't think its an E rated issue, but an application issue.
    This is what I am hoping for on my 297RSTS. The Wetlake LRE tires have lots of capacity for trailer weight, something like 40%, not just on the hairy edge.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I agree. Running too close tpo the max of the tire. With the difference in weight from side to side the heavy side can get overloaded I would think. I haven't been hearing people have as many problems with the E-rated tires on the lighter trailers.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the load rating of the supplied tire to the actual load that's in use. I moved from D rated to E rated so I now have a cushion. Those with E rated would benefit in the same way in moving to G rated tires so I don't think its an E rated issue, but an application issue
    When Put that way it makes more sense and leads one back to RV manufactures trying to save a dollar or two on tires
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast