User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    DoberGirl50 - There should be a soft rubber O ring type seal in a groove in the gate valve where it seals to the end of the waste pipe. If this seal is there (and not damaged) I would suggest adding a second one to see of this takes up the space to make your valve a tight fit to the pipe. These seals are Valterra replacement parts and should be available at any RV store.

Rob
    OK, thanks Rob. That's what I thought you meant, but wanted to make sure. We'll try that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely why we should all wear gloves. I'm glad I watched videos about this before going out the first time. I watched a guy the other day get black tank waste all over his hands. Didn't seem to faze him though. Just rinsed them off afterwards. No soap. Seriously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewer Waste Valves

Quote Originally Posted by mburtsvt View Post
    .....I have so much to learn about RV’ing.
    Yes, there is much to learn...I am less than 2 months into the RV ownership life and have already stopped reading the book called “The definition of normal....”

I think this is what makes the RV life so interesting and appealing to some...the lack of adherence to what most people would consider “normal”. Since buying an RV, 80% of the people I know say I’m crazy, this includes family members. Of the other 20%, they either already own an RV or I find myself wanting to associate with them more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rig: 2018 Grand Design - Imagine 2500RL
    Tow Vehicle: 2018 F150 - Black on Black - SuperCrew XLT-FX4 - 3.5L EB w/3.31 LSD - MaxTow/Haul - 5Stare Tune - Luminar Ceramic Tint w/UV - UltraFlex TBed Cover
    Garage Queen: 2018 BMW ///M240i Convertible - Loaded - Dinan Stage 1 Tune - MPE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Precisely why we should all wear gloves. I'm glad I watched videos about this before going out the first time. I watched a guy the other day get black tank waste all over his hands. Didn't seem to faze him though. Just rinsed them off afterwards. No soap. Seriously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Maybe he's a plumber. I say "that smells like Sh_t". Plumber says "that smells like money"
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Gate valves and gaskets"

In the four plus years we have owned our Reflection, I have replaced both 3" gate valves and cables. This has been necessary because of coach being in storage for months. Valves have gotten difficult to move, and cables disconnect where they are attached near the knobs. Replacing these valves is difficult because of the Y pipe that connects all 3 tanks. Getting enough clearance between the tank and the valve to be able to slide the valve in with the gaskets remaining in place is no fun! I did the black tank valve and cable a month ago, and loosened the connection on the 3" bathroom gray tank to gain enough clearance, on the third attempt. Today I went back underneath (removed the coroplast) and found gallons of gray water, dripping slightly from the connection at the bathroom gray tank. HELP, please, with a tip that will bring success. I used Vaseline last time, thought all was good. Thank you in advance!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve - I ran into the same problem trying to wrestle the 3 valve manifold into place on all valves at the same time. So, I cut the manifold into three pieces . . . one to be fitted carefully to each gate valve and then reconnected these pieces with the rubber couplings available at any plumbing store. See details in my rebuild story. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...968#post171968

Rob

Edit: To make the rubber couplings easy to slide along the ABS pipe, use dish soap.
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-03-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    "Gate valves and gaskets"

In the four plus years we have owned our Reflection, I have replaced both 3" gate valves and cables. This has been necessary because of coach being in storage for months. Valves have gotten difficult to move, and cables disconnect where they are attached near the knobs. Replacing these valves is difficult because of the Y pipe that connects all 3 tanks. Getting enough clearance between the tank and the valve to be able to slide the valve in with the gaskets remaining in place is no fun! I did the black tank valve and cable a month ago, and loosened the connection on the 3" bathroom gray tank to gain enough clearance, on the third attempt. Today I went back underneath (removed the coroplast) and found gallons of gray water, dripping slightly from the connection at the bathroom gray tank. HELP, please, with a tip that will bring success. I used Vaseline last time, thought all was good. Thank you in advance!
    This won't likely make you feel better: our weeks-old 310GK has the leaky-valve problem already and has gone back to the dealer. The valve handles are very sloppy too; different lengths, different angles, one of them loose and wobbly. Somebody at the factory was in a big hurry.

Elsewhere here I've seen comment that GD is not careful about following Valterra's specifications in routing the control cables to these valves. Misaligned cables can get hard to pull or break and can unduly strain the valve bodies. Could this be part of your problem?

EDIT: Rob posted while I was writing... listen to him first!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up question- has anyone used Thetford RV Drain Valve Lubricant? Amazon sells a 24 oz. bottle. Our black valve works hard, got under coach and worked it by hand and lubed what I could. Seepage past the valve cause bad smell throughout coach. Thanks for your experiences.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed this valve after drilling a hole in one of the four lugs that slip around the corresponding raised posts and inserted a hitch-pin to secure the whole assembly. I will attempt to add a photo if needed.
    Ian & Dilys
    Reflection 150 Series 295RL 2019
    Ford F-150 3.5L Twin Turbo V6 EcoBoost 2018

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While at a Myrtle Beach RV park, talked to a fellow with a new 2019 Solitude (purchased in April). Techs from the RV dealer were working on his dump valves. They had dropped the under liner and were replacing the cables and valves. He told me they said GD had installed cables that were too short and they were not allowing the valves to fully close.

I hope I do not have same issue. Mine was built in May and I will say the valves 'feel' strange when I pull the handles.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567