User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportzfann View Post
    I found the spec sheet for the trailer showing the axle ratings it looks like the original axles for this
    303 rls was 5200 lb axles, so I assume the springs are 2500lb?
    So an upgrade for this would be 3000/3500 lb springs I weighed the trailer when I brought it home with it basically dry weight, connected to my truck. I haven’t weighed it fully loaded yet I will have to get to a Cat scale shortly and see, im sure I’m near max weight which is about 12000lbs.
    Attachment 49652
    Thanks
    Your stock springs should have been 2600 lbs, I would go with 3500 lb springs and install bronze bushings and morryde heavy duty shackle kit which actually comes with the bronze bushings and wet bolts. Grease the bolts every 500-1000 miles, seems like a lot, but there is only a small contact area that has a lot of pressure on the bolt and bushing. Use a high quality extreme pressure grease, I have been using Lucas Red and Tacky and it seems to be working well, my other choice would be a heavy equipment moly fortified grease for use on chassis and loader pins etc. I am not sure what you are refering to as prelubed bearings. Most old school trailer bearings are simply tapered roller bearings that are hand packed with grease. There are never lube bearings available, but I have never seen them in person, they are basically a sealed bearing assembly, I doubt you have those. The X factor braces could be a good way to reinforce your spring hangers, they are available for all three locations, not just the center hanger. I chose to weld in my braces for a couple of reasons. One I am a welder and I have the skillset. Two welded in braces don't rely on bolts to keep everything solid. The downside of welding in the braces is if the corroplast ever needs to be removed the welded braces will make it harder. I did leave a gap between my braces and the bottom of the corroplast in case I need to remove it at some point.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportzfann View Post
    It looks like the crossmember only installs at the center equalizer, not sure these install at the other spring hanger locations? Would this crossmember eliminate the need for hanger reinforcements at the equalizer frame connection? It looks to be an easy add on no welding needed. Thanks
    They will fit at all locations as I have 3 under my 220RK. I had to drill a hole in my widened hanger bracket (Dexter) for the front/rear fit. I have attached some photos showing the install. I had the old version which has the end plats attached to the cross member. The new style is much easier to install as the end plate is separate. They also have a drop bracket to clear piping too. https://www.morryde.com/products/x-factor-crossmember/

It does require replacing the wet bolt (included in kit)to a longer one as the cross member bracket is tied to the existing hanger when installed. I also installed MorRydes Heavy Duty shackle kit. I highly recommend that too. https://www.morryde.com/products/hea...y-shackle-kit/

I would still weld in the V-Clips, but the cross bracing will greatly reduce any individual hanger bracket stress as it shares it across the trailer to the opposite one.

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1566s.jpg   IMG_1558s.jpg   IMG_1561s.jpg   IMG_1581s.jpg   IMG_1583s.jpg  

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven@147. Correct me if I'm wrong or if I misread your post, but I don't believe adding 4000# springs make the axles now capable of 8000#.
    The 8000# axles are a larger diameter and I would think a thicker axle wall thickness to carry the extra weight.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mszumows View Post
    Steven@147. Correct me if I'm wrong or if I misread your post, but I don't believe adding 4000# springs make the axles now capable of 8000#.
    The 8000# axles are a larger diameter and I would think a thicker axle wall thickness to carry the extra weight.
    I believe that's correct. IIRC, 7K axles are 3.5", 8K are 4"? I moved to 4K springs on my 351M because the stock springs (3500) were completely flat in ~1 year. The 4K springs seemed to handle the load better, but, I agree, that doesn't make the axle into 8K.
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I believe that's correct. IIRC, 7K axles are 3.5", 8K are 4"? I moved to 4K springs on my 351M because the stock springs (3500) were completely flat in ~1 year. The 4K springs seemed to handle the load better, but, I agree, that doesn't make the axle into 8K.
    Please understand while 7K may be 3.5" dia and 8K 4" dia its the wall thickness that's important. I believe the wall thickness is .25" for the 7K or 8K or if LW (Light wall) could be .16.

Look on the axle tag. Either can be easily dented from improper jacking or road debris - shredded truck tire. Or even during transport and assembly (over torqued U bolt or improper storage and lifting)

As for springs many of the sparing packs contain the same length and thickness leaves - they just add more for the higher capacity. What this mean is the initial compression rate is the same for normal towing until the higher load is applied.

On edit
    To better understand the axle tube thickness availability and even order Dexter custom axles and springs, these folks were experts and great to work with https://ironbeartrailer.com/ They are located near Denver CO.. This is where I ordered my Custom axles from.

I tried talking to Dexter direct and most Dexter folks did not have a clue to what is available. Iron Bear did.
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-14-2024 at 11:40 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mszumows View Post
    Correct, much has been learned by this grasshopper since the beginning of 2023.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-14-2024 at 06:57 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678