User Tag List

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Amazing that $20,000 is considered "inexpensive". Maybe to you anyway...
    Amazing? Really? I don't think so, but okay.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol..Mr Matthews.....good thing you just went for short post....

Just fyi...and the difference must be the populations of our two countries...but up here you can't even go buy an electric car off the lot. Once in a while a dealer gets a few for sale but usually they are already spoken for. So...you have to order a car and it takes anywhere from 12 to 18 months to get in. So guess how many used ones are available? The Kona EV you mentioned goes for a bit over $50k here after rebate. Cheapest of the bunch. Not the greatest handling suspension.
    I drove an Ionic5, and it was a blast to drive. So I got a quote...$65k after rebate. And that's when I started working out purchase cost EV/ICE, gas cost, electric cost etc. As a conclusion, I'm going to have to wait until new EV's are cheaper. I agree with you though, driving experience is way better.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Amazing? Really? I don't think so, but okay.
    I guess it's just different perspective, my last car, not tow vehicle, but just a car, cost me $9500, 7 years ago. So you can see that to pay $20,000, or more, just for a car is amazing to me. Just too frugal I guess.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I guess it's just different perspective, my last car, not tow vehicle, but just a car, cost me $9500, 7 years ago. So you can see that to pay $20,000, or more, just for a car is amazing to me. Just too frugal I guess.
    Yes, it is definitely a matter of perspective.
    You probably spent $50k to $70k more for your Momentum than I did for my little Reflection.
    So there are probably a lot of folks who would not call your RV purchase "frugal".
    You just choose to spend your money in different ways but you're still spending just as much, if not more of it.

You also have to take into account how much you're going to spend on gas, oil changes, typical maintenance... that an EV owner won't.
    Once you factor that in, $20k isn't much at all. I paid cash for the Bolt, but had I financed it, the loan payment would have been less than
    what I was spending on gas for my truck.

The point of my original post was to point out that there are a lot of inexpensive options for an EV.
    (Compared to the Tesla)
    I also said an "average" price of $20k. But that's for the ones I would want.
    I don't buy anything older than a few years or with more than about 30k miles on it and I wanted all the options, so I'm willing to pay a little more for a "used" car.

If $20k seems like a lot, you can easily find good deals on EVs for much less.
    Here's a 2020 Bolt for less than $14k:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-08d89ac25a6d/
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-17-2024 at 05:04 PM.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nephew who works for the electric company in Mich. When they came into work one day all of their trucks had been replaced with EV's. The first day many were not able to get to their work site and get back. They were gone the next day. My nephew is in management so him and other managers kept their fi50 hybrids. They love them and still use them to this day.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Lol..Mr Matthews.....good thing you just went for short post....

Just fyi...and the difference must be the populations of our two countries...but up here you can't even go buy an electric car off the lot. Once in a while a dealer gets a few for sale but usually they are already spoken for. So...you have to order a car and it takes anywhere from 12 to 18 months to get in. So guess how many used ones are available? The Kona EV you mentioned goes for a bit over $50k here after rebate. Cheapest of the bunch. Not the greatest handling suspension.
    I drove an Ionic5, and it was a blast to drive. So I got a quote...$65k after rebate. And that's when I started working out purchase cost EV/ICE, gas cost, electric cost etc. As a conclusion, I'm going to have to wait until new EV's are cheaper. I agree with you though, driving experience is way better.
    I only mentioned used cars in my post. I wouldn't buy any car new.
    But honestly, you guys get screwed on all vehicle purchases.
    I would never be able to afford to live there.

This Bolt EV is more expensive in Canada, but it certainly isn't outrageous, especially considering how inflated everything else is up there.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrole...&urm=8&sprx=-1

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I have a nephew who works for the electric company in Mich. When they came into work one day all of their trucks had been replaced with EV's. The first day many were not able to get to their work site and get back. They were gone the next day. My nephew is in management so him and other managers kept their fi50 hybrids. They love them and still use them to this day.
    Got it, don't live in Michigan.

We spend our summers on the Oregon coast and our winters in Arizona so we rarely experience temps below freezing or above 80.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, don't live in Michigan.

We spend our summers on the Oregon coast and our winters in Arizona so we rarely experience temps below freezing or above 80.
    The cold wasn't their problem but the range. They had to go 200 miles one way. The trucks range was only 300 miles. The cold wasn't Mich it was Chicago.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is definitely a matter of perspective.
    You probably spent $50k to $70k more for your Momentum than I did for my little Reflection.
    So there are probably a lot of folks who would not call your RV purchase "frugal".
    You just choose to spend your money in different ways but you're still spending just as much, if not more of it.

You also have to take into account how much you're going to spend on gas, oil changes, typical maintenance... that an EV owner won't.
    Once you factor that in, $20k isn't much at all. I paid cash for the Bolt, but had I financed it, the loan payment would have been less than
    what I was spending on gas for my truck.

The point of my original post was to point out that there are a lot of inexpensive options for an EV.
    (Compared to the Tesla)
    I also said an "average" price of $20k. But that's for the ones I would want.
    I don't buy anything older than a few years or with more than about 30k miles on it and I wanted all the options, so I'm willing to pay a little more for a "used" car.

If $20k seems like a lot, you can easily find good deals on EVs for much less.
    Here's a 2020 Bolt for less than $14k:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-08d89ac25a6d/
    Thank you, now that's getting down near my price level.

But as far as frugal, we've put less than 45,000 miles on our car in our 7 years of ownership, and it gets a little over 30 mpg, a $25 oil change once a year, so the overall cost isn't that bad. And we bought our Momentum used, because our old toy hauler was getting long-in-the-tooth. And sold our 20 year old tow vehicle because it too was getting long-in-the-tooth. So our Ram was used too. Cheaper insurance than new too. Considering what we got for our truck and trailer, we are not into our new-to-us truck and trailer for all that much. Our newest model vehicle is our truck at 2018. Even my bike is 25 years old.

Okay, sorry for the hijack of the thread, I think I'm done. Probably anyway.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The cold wasn't their problem but the range. They had to go 200 miles one way. The trucks range was only 300 miles. The cold wasn't Mich it was Chicago.
    What I don't understand is what kind of electrical company, and what position, would require a "fleet" of vehicles that are driven 400 miles a day? You said 200 miles each way? It would take me a full 8 hours just to drive 400 miles, and that's with no stops.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-17-2024 at 06:41 PM.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast