User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Fault/Disconnect errors

On my way to Tulsa a couple of weeks ago, I started getting intermittent "Trailer Disconnected" error warnings on the dash of my truck. The roads were very rough in OK so I pulled over when the messages started getting frequent and just reseated the trailer connector in the bed of the truck. It was okay the rest of the short trip that remained.

Heading home today from Tulsa and the messages are occuring frequently and sometimes the message indicating "Trailer Fault". I, very reseated the connector several times and it doesn't really help. I've also tried the connection at the bumper and get the same errors so it isn't my plug. I've noticed that the trailer plug had the pins spread quite wide. They are very thin, soft and deform easily. Not a good design. I have tightened the pins up and cleaned the contacts but the problem still occurs.

So, I have yet another problem with this trailer. The dealer has had this trailer in the shop about as much as we have had it. Maybe GD should start making the payments for us since they have it as much as us. I still have to get the axles replaced. The dealer has them now and are waiting on us to bring it in. Of course they want us to bring it in the first week of September and indicate they will have it at least a week. That means we would miss the long holiday weekend and have to cancel or scheduled trip.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what generates this message? What line on the plug is the brake controller looking at to determine that the trailer is there or not? I need to find the loose connection without taking it in to the shop again, assuming that I can nurse it the rest of the way home tomorrow.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    John & Jill
    (5 Dachshunds and 1 confused Pit Bull - Moose, Barney, Spanky, Willie, Guri and Brixx)
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2011 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.7L PSD
    Phillipsburg, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John & Jill,

The brake control is the blue wire. Perhaps you have a short in the trailer harness ?
    Take a careful look at where the cable to the truck comes out of the electrical connection box under the pin box.
    See http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...1519#post41519

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue and it was the electrical connections where the cable comes out of the connection box under the pin box. I think my original equipment cord to the truck was short and pulled hard on the box and loosened the connections inside the box probably on a tight turn. My dealer fixed the connections inside the box and I added an extension cord to my truck hookup and everything works quite well now.

Mike
    Mike

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike & Doris View Post
    I had the same issue and it was the electrical connections where the cable comes out of the connection box under the pin box. I think my original equipment cord to the truck was short and pulled hard on the box and loosened the connections inside the box probably on a tight turn. My dealer fixed the connections inside the box and I added an extension cord to my truck hookup and everything works quite well now.

Mike
    Same here. If you look where the cord goes into the box and see the plastic plug pulled out, there's a pretty good chance that one or more of the wires in the box has pulled loose. They are connected with those red and yellow twist locks and can come loose with a little strain.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    John, I have a Nephew that purchased a Montana (same Lippert components as our Grand Designs) a couple of months ago and on their second or third trip out, he got the same message in his F350. His dealer found that there was a loose or broken wire within one of the brake assemblies that caused the error message.

Steve

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Cill View Post
    John, I have a Nephew that purchased a Montana (same Lippert components as our Grand Designs) a couple of months ago and on their second or third trip out, he got the same message in his F350. His dealer found that there was a loose or broken wire within one of the brake assemblies that caused the error message.

Steve
    Along these lines... when I was working on brake and shocks I found my brake wires from the under belly to the axle/brakes were very tight, not much slack to provide length for axle drop. Was able to work enough slack to make it better but maybe yours were too tight also and finally started pulling loose.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike & Doris View Post

Mike
    Took apart the junction box at a rest area. While the big wire nut could have been done better, it didn't help with the problem. I made it home a while ago and Ryan from GD called me concerning this. He mentioned the wiring in the junction box as a frequent problem as well. After speking with him, I think I may have a ground problem and am picking up ground through the hitch. When I am on rough roads and the trailer is bouncing around, ground is coming and going. I'm going to patch a ground cable between truck and trailer and see if that helps.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    John & Jill
    (5 Dachshunds and 1 confused Pit Bull - Moose, Barney, Spanky, Willie, Guri and Brixx)
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2011 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.7L PSD
    Phillipsburg, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ritterjd View Post
    While the big wire nut could have been done better . . .
    Just another newbie observation, but what are these wire nuts doing in something that travels ? They have very poor vibration resistance and only belong in something that doesn't move. ABYC does not allow these on boats at all.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2016 Reflection and are having the same problem. On our third trip the disconnect alarm came up about 30 minutes down the highway and then came and reset repeatedly. I stopped and checked the wiring - everything looked fine. The alarm didn't recur, but we drove back to the dealer anyway and he couldn't find anything wrong. We continued our 5000 km trip without incident for several hundred km, then the alarm sounded again and continually alarmed and reset. Again we stopped and checked the wiring and again the problem went away. We finished that trip without any more "disconnect" alarms. The dealer is checking it again, but I am not optimistic. When I get it back I'll have a good look at the wiring at the connection box.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check where the ground wire goes. Almost sounds like a either a loose ground and bad connection. If the ground wire is bad, then it's using your hitch for the ground which could explain how it is intermittent.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast