Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kayak

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to fabricate a rack to carry 2 bikes and 2 kayaks on the back of my 303.
    The bikes will ride vertically on the back wheel between the two kayaks.
    I have a pic but cant locate it right now but similar to this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kayak Rack..jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	13351

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmick35 View Post

We've thought about doing that, but wonder how do you carry the kayaks from the campsite to the water? Do you have a second set of mounts on the truck that you only use when not towing?

Thanks,
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmick35 View Post

This is a very nice rack. Very simple and effective. I like it! Great Job!!!

I myself have since purchased a vertical kayak rack from RVKayakRacks.com to hold 2 x 12FT kayaks, 2 bikes, and 1 11FT SUP instead of making something since I had all these items I opted for their rack.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did buy one of the commercial kayak racks in 2016 as pictured. My thoughts after several trips using it: The rack is well built and does carry my kayak. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	13352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	13353Their video shows the loading of the kayak as placing one end on the base of the rack and lifting and walking the kayak to vertical, and then securing it. With my kayak's shape, the nose goes in first, and it will not stay in while trying to raise to vertical. The round shape will always slide out. My technique is to place a non-slip (relatively) mat on the ground, kayak nose on the mat, raise the back end to vertical (I have lost my grip twice , dropping it), carefully leaning it over into the rack, and lifting the yak up and into the rack's bottom saddle while keeping it from scraping the back of the RV, and then securing it.

Several of the places I have taken the kayak, behind the site pad, the ground slopes down a couple of feet, making the loading and unloading process quite difficult. The yak weighs about 80 lbs. and I am now pushing 70.

Additionally, the kayak had to be strapped in very, repeat, very securely, or it will move. It won't come out of the rack but the nose can slip down between the rack saddles. I also wonder about the torque stresses on the RV receiver hitch as the yak center of gravity is a couple of feet out from the hitch.

I sold a couple of pristine (one never in the water) 14 foot Hobies to buy the 10 foot Native so I could carry it on the back of the RV. If I could turn back time, I'd keep the Hobies and put them on top of the truck (although lifting them would still be an issue.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Strap to Secure Kayak Nose in Saddle/Tray

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Additionally, the kayak had to be strapped in very, repeat, very securely, or it will move. It won't come out of the rack but the nose can slip down between the rack saddles.
    You need to put a strap at the bottom tray from the eye to hold the kayak against the bar to prevent it from slipping out of the "rack saddles" known as the "kayak tray". See the picture I marked a yellow line where you need to place the strap. RVKayak rack supplied bungees to secure the kayak nose to the tray. You can also use ratchet straps.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I also wonder about the torque stresses on the RV receiver hitch as the yak center of gravity is a couple of feet out from the hitch.
    I also wonder about the torque stress on the RV receiver although after travelling 5,000 miles last year with my Kayak Rack, I am feeling better about it. I fear the worst when I go over bumps at bridges an dat construction areas at highway speeds. My rack is loaded with 2 bikes, 2 Kayaks, and 1 SUP. Total load is less than 300lbs including the rack.

You can PM me if you need help or contact Larry at RVKayak Racks He is really great to deal with.
    Aaron & Donna
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, ACDW. The one and only time the nose slipped out was from a 16 mile dirt road where 2-3 miles of it needed to be driven at 5 mph and it still jarred the crap out (this road is used extensively and there are 3 jurisdictions involved, none of whom like to spend their money to grade the road as needed-but I digress). Since then, I use 4 ratchet straps to hold the yak to near immobile. Bungees are used to apply tension on the straps as a "double safety" to prevent it from loosening. As I alluded to before, I have no issues with the rack. It is a quality product, and I purposely did not identify it by name so as to not appear negative.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith!
    The way you described it slipping out of the saddle and I didn't see a strap in the picture securing the kayak near the saddle, I thought that was the reason because, once the kayak is strapped in, it's never going to move regardless of road conditions.
    Sorry, Only trying to help.

One other thing, you could try putting mini cell foam in the saddle to keep it from slipping when loading it or even a small pulley up on top to help with loading your kayak. 70Lbs would be hard for me too.

Your right, it is a quality product and it comes with all the bungees, straps, and accessories and phone support too. I actually described my rack in detail in another post.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 06-23-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: general edit
    Aaron & Donna

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234