Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We split the driving - by mutual choice I usually drive about 60%-70%. But Cheryl does all of the backing up. I get behind with a cell phone and provide guidance (which she says she mostly ignores).

As mentioned earlier in the thread by someone else, she also wanted to be able to drive if something happened to me, so we both took an RV driving class as well as the instructions from the dealer (they wanted us to be able to back around a rotary that is in front of the dealership). Found out she was better backing up than I am, and probably a better driver as well, but don't tell her that.

She also does the maneuvering while hooking up and unhooking.

FWIW, she feels our old bumper-pull trailer was easier to back up. I think that is due to the bumper-pull responding instantly to steering changes while you have to anticipate the 5th wheel and correct early. It took us 2 hours to get the 5th wheel into our driveway when we brought it home the first time! But our parking situation is very tight - the rig sits next to the house with a drop-off wall on the other side.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a novice driver, but I'm pretty decent at pulling and turning, even tight turns. I suck at backing. I've watched You Tube videos on hooking it up and have watched my fiancé do it several times. I 'think' I can do it on my own if I need to. I'm going to practice this weekend. Like others here, he takes care of the outside and I take care of the inside.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an old thread but thought I would chime in. Dennis does most of the driving but I don't mind doing my share. In fact when we had our 36' Carriage Cameo I drove all the way from Seattle to Central California because he wasn't feeling good. He insisted I drive it up and down Hwy 74 in So. California when we first bought it because we expected to camp in the mountains a lot and it's a good thing he did because one time he fell and cracked a rib and couldn't drive home. So it helps me to feel more comfortable going on a trip knowing I can drive if I need to. As far as hooking and unhooking our Reflection from the truck, I typed up instructions because I don't do it often enough to remember all the steps but I'm usually the one who operates the auto level system after we get unhitched. I don't mind helping and it really helps in double checking each other since our minds aren't what they used to be.

Phyllis

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since we just got our first camper June 1st, 2018, we are both new to towing something this big (3170BH). She hasn't drove yet much less, just drive Bolt (2018 F350 DRW). We plan to get her out there driving because she has BTDT when she HAD to drive towing my race bike from WI to SD. We both realize it's a possibility that she will have to drive Bolt with that 36' beast dragging along behind.
    She does the inside and I do the outside. Usually, she is so quick that she will come out and do a double check of everything I've done so far and help out if need be for the rest.
    She used to drive a bus-like vehicle hauling Special needs (handicapped in all sorts of ways) folks to their jobs and whatnot when she was 19(?) (before we got engaged). She had no issues so I think she would probably do well with a bigger vehicle than her lil Edge. I have way more trust in her ability than my ole Ex. she couldn't drive more than an hour without falling asleep.... at the wheel..... in the middle of the afternoon. smh. anyways, I look forward to My Love driving, just so I can be even more proud to be with such an AWESOME woman! she still surprises me with her abilities after 11+yrs.

Scot "Zee"
    If you're gonna go, go with a smile!

USAF Retired
    Started Camping: 1 June 2018
    2018 Imagine 3170BH a.k.a. Storm
    towed by: 2018 F350 Lariat DRW PS FX4 in Tri-coat Plat White (tinted windows and Gator Tri-Fold tonneau cover). a.k.a. Bolt
    Anderson Anti-sway WD Hitch.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456