User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frame flex problems

Is frame flex as big of problem as i have been hearing about lately. Here is a video of a couple that are having this problem and Grand Design is not helping them out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELZbueoH7_c

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, big pass after about 3 minutes on that video. Just wanted to offer them some cheese to go with that whine.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too - pass when the t-shirt sale pitch starts. Oh, and frame flex is an issue with every manufacturer, but you only hear the YT complaints and how many are there? If you google RV frame flex, Montana, Keystone, DRV, Vanleigh et. al. will pop up. Out of how many thousands of RVs? As for our Grand Design, frame flex is a concern for us and Grand Design invited me to bring the RV out to their factory in April to assess along with the suspension issues I've had. They didn't have to offer that. Grand Design authorized the dealer to inspect and provide measurement to Lippert 4 months after we took delivery in 2022. Unfortunately, the dealer didn't do the work they said they did and the numbers they provided to Lippert were so incorrect, the flex would have to be measured in feet. To get the dealer authorized, it took one phone call to Grand Design customer service - that was it. When I called Lippert this year to ask for a copy of the dealer report, they told me that the dealer had not properly taken the measurements required. I emailed GD customer service and frame inspection was added to the work order for the factory to inspect in detail in April. All conversations have been polite, constructive, and really exceeded my expectations.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the 1st time I ever watched one of there videos. I was just curious what people thought and I am not saying they are right or wrong. Just curious about the issue.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    This was the 1st time I ever watched one of there videos. I was just curious what people thought and I am not saying they are right or wrong. Just curious about the issue.
    It happens. There are a number of YT videos on frame flex, more GD than Vanleigh or DRV, but probably more GD on the road. Still, watch this video. The official word from GD was no flex, but look what they repaired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctQ4K5ZoEik
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    It happens. There are a number of YT videos on frame flex, more GD than Vanleigh or DRV, but probably more GD on the road. Still, watch this video. The official word from GD was no flex, but look what they repaired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctQ4K5ZoEik
    I watched that one a couple months ago.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out (My Bucket List Day) on YouTube he has a bunch of videos on the problems he has had with his unit.
    https://www.youtube.com/@MyBucketListDay/videos

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these frame problems only happening on the bigger unit or are they happening on the smaller 5th wheels also ?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it seam there are people on here that take huge offense of anything negative said about Grand Design as if we were talking about their mother. LOL We all like Grand Design that is why we are here but let be honest they are not perfect. No manufacturer is.

moderator edit to remove post which was borderline rude and/or could be construed as an attack on a poster.....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 01-25-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SOB frame flex issues is what brought me to this GD forum. I wanted to see if GD had similar issues (because I really wanted a GD) and if so how their customer service dealt with the issues if they arose.

What I found was
    -all mainstream 5ers use Lippert chassis…they all are subject to having the same problems
    -the OEM chooses the chassis specs that meet their design/cost goals
    -I suspect Lippert has more experienced frame folks than the majority of the OEMs and the OEMs probably lean on that expertise
    -In many cases “perceived” frame flex issues are OEM build issues (this is why Lippert is so aggressive in documenting “upper deck flex measurements”) to quickly eliminate the frame as the root cause.
    -Take your time with the service team. If you are a calm, cool customer you will get more help. Start verbally escalating and it’s game over. Nobody wants to deal with that. Easy to say, hard to do…. Don't ask how I know.

GD has proven themselves to be better than the mainstream in dealing with these issues (several cases noted above).

The thing that makes so frustrating is the lack of expertise across the dealer network to repair (ie, remove the front cap/sidewalls, welding) and the associated cost.

Thanks for sharing the links and viewpoints.
    Last edited by bjlakatos; 01-25-2024 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast