User Tag List

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I was feeding you the straight line: "Who's on first", "I don't know", "No, he's on third". I actually saw the film that this routine was featured in: "The Naughty Nineties", when I was just kid on our B&W TV. I have it on my computer, and it's still hilarious after 60+ years. Okay, back to frame flex issues. LOL
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-27-2024 at 08:50 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not sure I totally comprehend that sentence.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Dlej...ZSByZXBhaXI%3D

Hope this works
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
    Bjlakatos, how did you find the right person to contact at Grand Design for help with the evaluation and repair options?
    Thanks!
    @ssaulnier -

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who bought what used?
    The couple in the video in this thread mentioned in a previous video that they're the 2nd owners. Doesn't take much to search on youtube to ge the whole picture. This video aired 6 days ago. there's a previous video from 2 weeks ago about the same subject. Nonetheless it still shows the poor quality of Lippert frames.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I don't care for Youtube videos since I think you get only the information they want to share, and sometimes a particular slant to it, and some people will post a video just for their 15 minutes of fame. Just don't care for 'em.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I don't care for Youtube videos since I think you get only the information they want to share, and sometimes a particular slant to it, and some people will post a video just for their 15 minutes of fame. Just don't care for 'em.
    I actually watch a lot of Youtube videos. I like to watch ones concerning woodworking mostly. There's a lot of skilled woodworkers that I've gained knowledge form. I stay away for the TikTok type videos as yes they're just fame grabbers. Agree the couple in the video is hard to watch but it can't be denied that they have a frame issue.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, TikTok, an unfortunate development that makes everyone think they have something that needs saying, or sharing.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with his video is they bought it used and can't verify any undocumented issues prior to ownership, by their own admission they wouldn't do what GD asked them to do (have it inspected at a dealership), in a prior video he documents how the nose of his RV kept hitting the bedrails and causing damage to the RV (on the same side as the frame issue) so he switched to a Gen-Y which gives LCI an out.

Also doesn't help when he posts comments like "Except we are aware of many former and current owners under an NDA with Grand Design over issues such as this and much larger ones" and "There are so many that had to take hush agreement to get things fixed" (anyone else have to sign an NDA to get repairs done?).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, I’ve been watching a number of these broken frame videos from the past couple years and yes, there definitely is a number of them but not a epidemic yet.

To be honest, most of the ones that I’ve seen posted so far tend to be full-time RV years so that trailer is probably getting a lot more stress of loading and unloading every single day or week compared to us weekend warriors where we’re lucky if we load the trailer up 5 to 10 times a year. I haven’t noticed if any other BAL frames have been having issues, but I don’t know if they make the larger fifth wheel style or if it’s only Lippert.

These are mass produced frames built by piecework welders, so there’s definitely going to be issues. Just look at the amount of spring hanger suspension problems we have.

Still it’s nice to be aware of this and I have to admit if I was to one day buy a triple axle monster fifth wheel for full time living, probably one of the first things I would do would be to take it to the local commercial trailer welding shop and have them add gussets to everything that could be accessible without destroying the RV. If I ever buy used now I know that I would hook up the truck to the fifth wheel and check all the seals and seams to see if they flex.

What I found more interesting, was the much acclaimed Airstream community, and how supposedly well-built those trailers are have similar problems except the entire body shell tears right off the frame. “Keep your daydream” recently went through this.

Just goes to show heavy use results in wear and tear.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    the problem with his video is they bought it used and can't verify any undocumented issues prior to ownership, by their own admission they wouldn't do what gd asked them to do (have it inspected at a dealership), in a prior video he documents how the nose of his rv kept hitting the bedrails and causing damage to the rv (on the same side as the frame issue) so he switched to a gen-y which gives lci an out.

Also doesn't help when he posts comments like "except we are aware of many former and current owners under an nda with grand design over issues such as this and much larger ones" and "there are so many that had to take hush agreement to get things fixed" (anyone else have to sign an nda to get repairs done?).
    nda yep !!!!
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast